Messaging is broken.

I reply to almost all messages within minutes if receiving them. Most of the time I'm practically in a real time chat with my customers and now I'm at 94% response rate because messaging is not recognizing that I've already replied. I'm having to double send my responses just to get an acknowledgement that I replied in a timely manner. I value my Star Seller status and work hard to keep it. This is ridiculous!

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
6 Replies

Re: Messaging is broken.

Yes it is ridiculous and Etsy does not seem to be in a hurry to fix this glitch or any of the other glitches that have been going on long than this.  If you are worried about seller badges, it can be a real pain.  If you realize that the star seller badges really don't mean anything, then you are more worried about new messages automatically going into spam.  Etsy probably won't fix it until after they finish messing with the messaging system in an attempt to stop or at least slow down the spammers targeting mostly new sellers.

3 Likes

@EthnicCityDesigns: "... I'm at 94% response ..." Have you checked the applicable CSV file available on your Star Seller page to confirm which new Message threads Etsy thinks were unanswered or answered late?

When you look at the file remember that that the dates / times are in UTC (not your time zone), only the first message of a new incoming thread is included (all that counts for Star Seller), and usually a new incoming thread is not included until after the 24 hour reply window has passed regardless of when you replied. Star Seller stats (and the CSV file) seem to be updated only once per day so there may be an additional day's delay. There is also a link to the actual message thread so you can verify if the data is correct or not.

0 Likes
CatMarshallArt
Inspiration Seeker

I've had exactly the same issue. I'm being prompted to reply to messages I've already replied to and new messages over the last week or so have gone straight to spam. I had a flurry of potential buyers over the Easter weekend and missed ALL of them, because they were in the spam folder; which you can't view on mobile. I go to my laptop to process orders but generally use my phone to chat and respond initially. Even conversations I've moved out of spam have then been put back in spam when the customer responds again. My 100% response rate has dropped right down to 80% since Monday, despite Etsy support acknowledging the issue and being reassured that this wouldn't happen. Luckily, in real terms, no upset customers and only a couple of lost orders but it's really disappointing and we shouldn't be penalised for it.

2 Likes
FeltWithAHeart
Conversation Maker

And I've had a weird thing where I sent two messages to the same person, with no reply from them in between, and got the "Good job" popup from etsy, about replying quickly. Hello???? Yep, something very screwy is going on here.

1 Like

Same here....random new messages going straight to spam, which until this week I had no idea existed, and only see because I'm on my desktop. Cannot believe the SPAM folder is not even showing/existing/viewable on the phone app! Really no reason not to fix this ASAP, etsy. I couldn't care less about badges, but not seeing important customer/possible sale messages is not cool. 

1 Like

I was out of the house for most of the day yesterday so I needed to rely on the mobile app. Due to the spam issue I specifically wanted to make sure I didn't have any messages in there, I have had new messages as well as responses from messages I marked NOT SPAM landing in the spam folder. I actually laughed out loud when I realized Etsy didn't program the app to allow us to look at our various folders. Why are half-baked programs getting the green light, is no one at Etsy held accountable for anything?

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.