Messages not showing as replied

Yesterday I had two help request messages. I replied to both straight away. However both of them still have the 'first time reaching out' or whatever the wording as if they've not been replied to. 

I'm worried this will affect my star seller status when it seems to be some kind of bug and not my fault. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
24 Replies

Re: Messages not showing as replied

Are you referring to the blue message ribbon that says the message is from a buyer account, with a reminder that real messages from Etsy staff are in the "From Etsy" folder?  It is to highlight to all, and especially new sellers, that we should all be aware of any messages that pretend to be from Etsy by having "Etsy" as their screen name or an avatar that looks like an Etsy logo or badge.

You won't be dinged for Star Seller unless you either don't respond or don't flag the message as spam.  Apparently the blue message still stays visible after you reply, but that does not mean Etsy thinks you didn't reply or still need to reply. 

I started getting the blue ribbon messages last week, and even though I was not always the last person to respond in all chains, my on-time message response rate for SS is still 100%.  

Just regard the message as a reminder to be alert and aware, and proceed accordingly when responding to the message.

1 Like

No, it's the ones that say 'new request, reply quickly etc'. 

It used to dissappear once you had replied

6 Likes

yes, mine are doing the same. I'm replying to them and it looks like it's a new unanswered request still. 

4 Likes

Yes! The same is happening on my account so I resent the response and the green banner shows as if it was my first time replying. I’m not sure if the customer is even receiving the message.

2 Likes

Based on other threads in this forum this issue appears to be a (badly coded) user interface glitch and is not affecting the actual Messages or Star Seller stats. But it is probably a good idea to daily check the CSV file until this is resolved.

3 Likes

The same issue here. I hope the problem is going to be resolved.  

1 Like

My message response rate went down a percentage tonight and I have been answering all new messages and still get that blue banner so it may or may not effect star seller, I will update

1 Like

ditto.

0 Likes

Same issue here but I only see that Blue warning in the etsy seller app. 

0 Likes

Same issue here. I have replied to several messages and even had a back-and-forth conversation and the wording of first message is still showing. Please help. I have worked hard enough to reply to my customer within the first 24 hour period to lose my 100% rating on replies because of a glitch caused by the app. Thank you.

0 Likes

I contacted the support by chat and they told me the teams knows about this glitch and will not affect our message score. They are working on it.

Hope they fix it sooner. 

0 Likes

I'm having the same issue.  I just got off the phone with Etsy support and he wasn't sure what the problem was as he had never seen it or heard about it. I tried using the chat feature and they stopped responding.  So, it's a bit frustrating and I hope it doesn't affect our Star Seller status.

0 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Since it doesn't affect the messaging score there will be no quick fix

0 Likes
WildandGem
Inspiration Seeker

I have been having this issue too. It's very frustrating when it causes you to be unsure about retaining star seller status due to no fault of your own. 

0 Likes

The issue is still not fixed. 

0 Likes

I’m also experiencing this problem.  It occurred twice, last month and again yesterday.  

Unfortunately, I lost my Star Seller status with last month’s erroneous ‘non-reply’.  I called Etsy and after multiple conversations with their support team members, I was told that there was nothing that they could do.  I asked to speak with a manager to escalate awareness of the issue but was told that no one was available and that I could leave my number.

The second instance occurred yesterday.  I again called Etsy support and explained the problem.  This time I was told that others were reporting the same issue.  I was also told it would take 48 hours for the ‘need to respond’ message would disappear and that my timely response would be recognized.  I again expressed my concern of it negatively affecting my rating.  I was assured that it wouldn’t.  

In my opinion, Etsy’s software regression testing is grossly difficient with no roll-back procedure.

0 Likes

@littlemusedesigns: "I lost my Star Seller status with last month’s erroneous ‘non-reply’." Have you checked the applicable CSV file available on your Star Seller page to confirm which new Message threads Etsy thinks were unanswered or answered late?

0 Likes

@BagmakerSupply , yes, I did check the available CSV file and called their attention to the problem.  Etsy support staff, although very kind and sympathetic, are not equipped to offer meaningful explanations or resolutions to a problem, even with this info presented to them.

I’ve been on Etsy since 2007 when it was an online marketplace for handmade items.  I’ve enjoyed my time on this platform.  Etsy has definitely evolved and expanded since then but it is apparent that their 2,700 employees and software capabilities are unable to support their 7.9+ million sellers and 90+million visitors/shoppers.

2 Likes

Follow-up:  It does indeed take 48 hours for the ‘respond now’ status message to change.  Thankfully, your message response time will not be negatively affected.

0 Likes

I’ve had the same. Also had to reach out to Etsy this week because its showing in my message folder that there’s a help request but when you click on that inbox, there’s nothing there. I was worried that a customer was being ignored but they said that they couldn’t see anything outstanding on their side. I’d hoped it would go away within a few days but its still showing and I never really got a real resolution as to what would happen next either

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@TheLittlePaperBoat Check the spam folder. Some sellers have had messages from customers go in there automatically due to some bug.

0 Likes

Yeah same  thing. I answered fairly quickly but hours later it is still saying First time reaching out. When I check the message CSV the message from today is not even there. 

0 Likes

@hopeandjoyhome: "When I check the message CSV the message from today is not even there. " Usually a new incoming thread is not included until after the 24 hour reply window has passed regardless of when you replied. Star Seller stats (and the CSV file) seem to be updated only once per day so there may be an additional day's delay.

0 Likes

Did anyone get thru to Etsy on this? I have tried but no luck. This same thing happened to me and my star seller was affected greatly. Ugh. Not ok. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.