Messages from new customers are going into Spam

Jump to solution

Just an FYI that as of yesterday, messages from new customers, including responses to messages from sellers in active conversations, are getting sent to Spam.

Check your spam folders for missed messages.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
27 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Messages from new customers are going into Spam

Jump to solution

I do most of my messaging on the app and there is no way to check spam on the app. I did not know this was happening until I turned on my laptop. 

I was hoping that there was a seller/customer support number I could call. We are Etsy Customers too. Its impossible to get support. 

It makes me angry that we do everything to the level of perfection and we punished for Etsy's technical deficiencies.   

View solution in original post

3 Likes

Jump to solution

This was posted by an Etsy rep. in a different thread on the topic -

"Thank you for reporting this! We’re dedicated to keeping your accounts and the Etsy marketplace safe and secure. 

We’ve been making improvements to help you better identify authentic messages from Etsy. Recently, we’ve worked to reduce the noise in your Inbox by automatically moving potentially suspicious messages to your Spam folder (which you can only check on desktop right now). 

As a result of this, some of your messages may have been moved to the Spam folder in error. We’re working to improve the accuracy of these measures and we apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this may have caused. 

We’ve also heard your questions and concerns about how this might impact your Star Seller eligibility, which we wanted to clarify. Messages marked as spam by Etsy will not impact your Star Seller eligibility. If Etsy has marked a message as spam that you subsequently move out of the folder, we’ve ensured that also will not impact your Star Seller eligibility."

ETA - FWIW this is the thread the Etsy post appeared in -

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Non-spam-ends-up-directly-in-Spam-folder/td-p/1451063...

View solution in original post

2 Likes
66 Replies

Jump to solution

Good grief!  I am so glad you posted.  I just checked my spam folder and found a new message from a buyer that was sent 18 hours ago. 

10 Likes

Jump to solution

How do you report this issue?

Is there an email or a direct phone number for customer service? 

Its impossible to reach Etsy customer service. The website is designed for self-help only. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm seeing that now! Ugh

4 Likes

Jump to solution

i just found 5 messages in spam from the last few days....

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I keep checking everyday now just in case

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know, I found a new message from few days ago!

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I had this happen last week and thought it was a fluke.  The 2nd message from the buyer, some 16 hours later, went to the Inbox where they complained about me not answering their previous message in a timely manner.  lol.  

6 Likes
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I just came here to post this!

An ONGOING conversation with a customer having issues with the shopping cart being weird, was automatically sent to spam BY ETSY sometime between yesterday afternoon and this morning.

5 Likes
CuriosityCabinet
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Happened to me too! A customer's reply to my message in an ongoing thread went into spam. I thought he hadn't answered but luckily I found it in there. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

I lost a sale from it cuz the buyer sent multiple messages wanting to and I didn't respond for 5 days ugh

4 Likes
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ModFabio any help with this issue?

5 Likes

Jump to solution

It's happening to some sellers.  Contact Etsy to let them know this is happening. 

5 Likes
DreamToOrder
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I have one customer request in the spam folder. I have contacted Etsy. They said they don't know the reason, it is a bug. The problem is, if you notice the message 24 hours later after their arrival, I would not reccomend to move it to active folder, because you will loose your response score. And if you reply to the message from the spam folder, the customer will most likely not read it. Something has happened after too many harassment spam messages being sent to Etsy sellers last year. I have received tons of them, they asked for my personal information. Now, if an innocent customer shares anything that might be considered by the algorithm as personal, would move to spam. Check your messages in spam, do they have a request to contact the customer through other channels, not Etsy?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Is there a direct email or phone number for customer support?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@VintageClockRevival  - You're a star seller, so look to see if you have the tiny chat icon towards the bottom of the page (shop manager) However chat support is said to be outsourced & often they have to refer issues up the chain of command.

To open a help ticket via email go to Shop Manager - Help - Selling - You will see various topics to click on. You can browse thru these - some such as financial stuff not relevant to your issue.

After a while you may find the correct topic - often you will be led to Etsy articles. Keep digging & eventually you should get to the "I still need help" link. Choose that & usually you will see the option to send an email. 
At times you may get the option to enter your telephone number & request a call back.

I'd suggest you not look at the issue from just the star seller side but include the issue of not seeing messages from buyers/potential buyers. That you could be losing sales.

Then be patient. If all you receive is a generic reply, respond to that, that your issue is not resolved.
You can use this help ticket to check in every once in while to see how things are going. Don't open new tickets - this just puts you back to the end of the line again. 

1 Like
HotBeams
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I have contacted Etsy support numerous times now via chat. They are well aware of the issue and still have not resolved it. Over the past 2 days, I have had 7 messages total go into the SPAM folder, 5 of which are not responding now so I assume they have moved on.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I just checked my spam folder and found a new message from 3 days ago. If I had noticed it then I would have sent it to spam myself. It was one of the messages I've been receiving with an offer to help my shop ... they go from offering to help to asking for access ... and there have been quite a few recently. Maybe someone reported this one and Etsy is automatically sending to spam.

But I do appreciate the heads up and plan to check my spam folder from time to time (which kind of defeats the point of a spam folder).

Sigh

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Word of warning here. First off, yes, you do want to reply to these messages if they are a current buyer or a potential buyer with questions. But be prepared for that message to count against your star seller stats. In a different thread the shop owner mentioned they were dinged on messaging when they moved the message out of spam & replied to it. 
Yes, the reply was probably done after Etsy's 24 hour time-window, but who knew to check their spam folder for messages that Etsy was automatically sending to spam? 

Then the reports of shops having their messages muted due to "too much" back and forth messaging with a buyer. 

I get the feeling Etsy knows there's a problem but they haven't figured out a way to fix it yet. But yes, report the issue & maybe they'll pick up the pace? 

9 Likes

Jump to solution

In speaking with Support just now, I was assured these would not count against response scores.

6 Likes

Jump to solution

How do you report an issue?

Is there an email or a direct phone number for customer service? 

Its impossible to reach Etsy customer service. The website is designed for self-help only. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

How can you report this issue? 

it’s impossible to find any information regarding seller support on their website. 

thanks

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@VintageClockRevival: Etsy does not have a published eMail address or phone number for customer service. If you find one on the internet it is likely a scam.

Try https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?segment=selling or you can open a support ticket through Dashboard > Community & Help > Contact Us Dig through topics and look for "I Still Need Help".

1 Like

Jump to solution

This is what happened to me. I found a message in spam that was 5 days old. I replied back to it to it when it was in spam folder. Then the next day I moved it from spam to the inbox as it was not spam and my star seller rating went from 100 to 75 percent due to me moving it from spam to the inbox even though I replied to it when it was in spam. I sent a help request to etsy and havent heard back. 

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

ETSY, I AM SO TIRED OF YOU GIVING ME ONE MORE THING TO DO AND THEN ONE MORE THING TO DO AND ALL BECAUSE YOU CANNOT MANAGE TO DO YOUR JOB!

GET AN EFFING CLUE AND HIRE PEOPLE WHO CAN DO THE JOB.

YES, I'M SCREAMING!

SHEESH!

27 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.