LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

Messages disabled with no warning or explanation?

Until about 2 hours ago messages were working fine then all of a sudden when typing a message out, a red banner appeared saying my messages were disabled. Shop and listings seem to all be fine, just messages, i've checked my Etsy inbox, email inbox and spam but can't see any reason being communicated from Etsy.... Is anyone else experiencing anything similar today???

Also, a complete joke the only way of communicating with them (a platform of this size) at this time is by email with a 24-hr response time. I have customers sending images across for their orders so now I have no way of communicating with them. They will probably think I am ignoring them!!!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Re: Messages disabled with no warning or explanation?

If they are already your customers, click by their name on the order you have their email there, and can communicate with them that way, until this is settled.

0 Likes
LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

Oh my gosh thank you so much for explaining that as I have been wondering how I can do this!! (I am very new to Etsy selling)

0 Likes

If you used the message system for anything but a reply to a question ( Offering codes/sales info etc) and people marked your message as spam the spam bot will remove your message privileges..usually for a couple weeks.

2 Likes
LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for replying! I have only responded to existing customers who have purchased from me, however, I did try to send a thank you discount code ( which is my typical response when an order is completed) to a customer earlier and it wouldn't let me send the link, perhaps it is something to do with this? 

0 Likes
LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes

You can set those up via Etsy to automatically send to those who opt in to get them. (or add them to your packing slip for everyone to see) My guess is somebody somewhere marked something as spam even if only to clear their message file somehow not knowing it might impact you. Enough of those..whatever that number is..and you are in message time out. You might try reaching out to Etsy to make sure but good luck there. I'd try chat first and see if they can see on your account that your messages have been suspended or if it is an error.

2 Likes

There's an automatic option for Thank you coupon when somebody's placing an order.

Those complete orders messages could be marked as spam too - especially if your customers have shops too and they are forced to reply within 24h or mark as spam to avoid a headache over SS program.

I'm personally not a fan of sellers messaging me unless there's a problem with order. You can enter the message when you mark order as complete, without a need to wrote a separate message.

2 Likes
LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

to

0 Likes

Etsy will not issue a warning prior to disabling messages. They also rarely give explanations for everything, as we are expected to know the rules.

1 Like

Expect your messages to be disable for up to 2 months if you broke the Terms of Use.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/sellers/

With Etsy's "Messages", you have the ability to communicate directly with your buyers or other Etsy members. Messages are a great way for buyers to ask you questions about an item or an order.

Messages may not be used for the following activities:

1. Sending unsolicited advertising or promotions, requests for donations or spam;
  2. Harassing or abusing another member or violating our Anti-Discrimination Policy;
  3. Contacting someone after they have explicitly asked you not to;  
  4. Interfering with a transaction or the business of another member;
  5. Exchanging personal contact, financial or other information for the purposes of evading the checkout process on Etsy, including phone number, address, email, social media handles, external URLs, instructions for money transfer, etc.
1 Like
LoveAveryUK
Inspiration Seeker

Hi there, thank you for sharing. This just goes to show sometimes it really is worth reading the T&C's!!! 

I had no idea that you could not share your social media profile. A customer today messaged me asking what my Instagram profile was so that she could tag me in a post, in response I sent her a link to my profile, this must be it!!!! 

Personally, I think this is absolutely crazy. Am I expected to turn around to my customer and say no I cannot give you my socials so that you can rave about how much you loved my product that you bought on Etsy. This seems really backwards. I think this is doing more harm to Etsy than good, have they not heard of customer retention... 

0 Likes

OP, you are permitted to list your social media accounts on your About page. List your Instagram there and then if a buyer asks, you can suggest the buyer read your About page.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.