HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Messages Disabled

My messages have apparently been disabled, though no information has even been provided as to why, or how long for. 

I have tried on many occasions through chat and call backs to have Etsy's support advise why and how long it will take to fix. My suspicion, and the only thing I can think of, is that I sent 3 messages to 3 prospective Etsy sellers to seek a custom quote. However I usually only sell on Etsy (the quote request was for a tool to be able to manufacture more packaging, to sell more on Etsy!!!).

How on earth can I gate Etsy to provide any assistance on this? I need my messages to to be able to respond to prospective customers of course. 

Thanks in advance. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Messages Disabled

Sometimes etsy disables messaging privileges in error, and sometimes it's a result of the sender sending unsolicited messages to people (people who favorite their items, for example) that causes the recipient to mark them as "spam" which then alerts etsy.

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

It is an error without doubt, but how can it take this long to fix, and why am I not advised what has happened, or indeed that anything has happened? 

0 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

"3 messages to 3 prospective Etsy sellers to seek a custom quote." - was this you reaching out to them offering a custom quote or was this them reaching out to you asking for a custom quote?

If the former, then that is considered spam and you lost your messaging privileges - I do believe they eventually come back.

If the latter, then that is an error on Etsy's end - contact them and reply onto to the same ticket thread, even if they brush you off, reply again to the same thread stating you still require assistance.

There have been several shops that've had messages disabled by mistake. Someone at Etsy is trigger-happy with the disabling button.

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, thanks for the replies. To be clear, no, I was seeking a custom quote from three suppliers, to me as a buyer. They have replied to me, I can now not speak with them. This was nearly a week ago now too and is simply not good enough. Etsy seem uncontactable as they effectively don't help, though our conversations always remain polite - just sadly useless! 

0 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

@HandleStay  That seems very strange.

Did you send the exactly worded message to each seller?

This could have triggered them to be flagged as spam.

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

And on replying to the same ticket thread - I'm simply advised every time that it's already been escalated and the thread is closed anyway so I cannot respond and have to start all over again. 

And this is all me guessing what may have happened - no communication to advise me! 

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Has anyone got a likely solution to this? 

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

The only thing to do is communicate with Etsy.

And don't expect a quick answer.

And if you use chat or callback they will just say they'll pass it on and you will just be left waiting for an email again.

This is how Etsy does business now.

1 Like
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Sadly, Etsy's way of doing business does not align with the word business. Other platforms have a sensible ethos of treating customers as important. Etsy seem to not share that. I am FURIOUS with them. 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

You are not a new seller, so I wont spout the rules to you.  Suffice to say that most functions on Etsy are automated and the programming is quite simplistic.  It simply looks for a specific action, in this case multiple messages to other Etsy members, and assumes that the object of the activity is to solicit buyers.  No-one reads messages, nor do they look to see if the intended recipient has a shop of their own or if they are solely buyers.  It just looks for multiple messages from your shop to other members.  It is a good idea to open a separate account for buying,  and keep it at arms length from your shop activity, then the system will not get the wrong idea if you message other members.

As for the time frame for responses from support, recently it has been 2-3 weeks to get an answer (and it won't necessarily be the one you are hoping for).

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.