Message response rate falling even though I am responding to messages immediately

I had a buyer message me numerous times overnight and I responded to the last message they sent not realizing that it would not count towards response rate unless I responded to first message they sent and I lost star status. Since then I have responded to every message received by buyers in the appropriate time but my response rate is still falling. A buyer told me this morning that she received an auto reply saying I was on holiday but I do not have any settings ticked for auto reply or vacation mode. Can anyone help? I can’t find a help topic that matches my issue and I can’t find a way to contact Etsy directly. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Message response rate falling even though I am responding to messages immediately

The response for SS only is counted for new messages.  It pays no attention to ongoing messages.

Did you set up auto-reply maybe?

Check the CSV for message responses.  Maybe that will give you a clue as to what is happening.

If that seems fine, you may need to contact Etsy to have them check your message system given what the customer told you. 

0 Likes

Re: Message response rate falling even though I am responding to messages immediately

It's possible that your percentage rate dropped down because you just lost a month.  Every first of the month you lose a month and if that's a good month or sales or messages or whatever, when it drops off it can lower your percentage rates.

0 Likes

The dashboard says I also have a message that I didn't respond to within 24 hours but if that's true, it's because I didn't receive the notification that I had a message in the first place. I always respond in less than 24 hours. I've seen enough posts about this being off that it makes me think they do have errors. 

0 Likes

I don't rely on notifications.  I check my shops at "least" once daily.

2 Likes

@ButterflyFeetDigital: " ... because I didn't receive the notification ..." Unfortunately as you mention this forum has lots and lots of threads about issues with app and eMail notifications. The consensus is that a seller needs to check their shop for messages and orders at least daily via a browser (even their mobile browser) until these issues are resolved.

1 Like

I am logged into my shop on the computer several times a day. Somehow I missed the one. 

0 Likes

I got that same message and when I looked I saw that the only message I didn’t respond to was from a new Etsy supply shop trying to get me to look at their shop!  They are NOT a customer of mine!  They’re trying to make me a customer of theirs!  I’m so over this Star seller BS.  I want the old Etsy back when I could just run my business without their CONSTANT interference!  I NEVER had customers asking me for discounts until Etsy started with the CONSTANT pushing of sales and coupons!

I want a partner NOT an overlord!

0 Likes

@AuntBettysVintage: As suggested, check the applicable CSV file available on your Star Seller page (previous period for December Star)? When you look at the file remember that that the dates / times are in UTC (not your time zone), only the first message of a new incoming thread is included (all that counts for Star Seller), and usually a new incoming thread is not included until after the 24 hour reply window has passed regardless of when you replied. Star Seller stats (and the CSV file) seem to be updated only once per day so there may be an additional day's delay. There is also a link to the actual message thread so you can verify if the data is correct or not. Keep in mind that the Star Seller metric is NOT all new messages but only the first message of all new incoming threads.

0 Likes

I did check the csv file and it only shows the one message that I missed. I was at 95 percent then went to 93% after missing that message but now I’m suddenly at 88% and I can’t figure out why. I check my messages several times a day and have notifications turned on. I don’t know why it went from 93% to 88% if I only missed the one message. 

0 Likes

@AuntBettysVintage: "I don’t know why it went from 93% to 88% if I only missed the one message." You did not mention dates, but could the 93% been before the 1st, and the 88% after (when September messages would no longer the in the calculation)?

1 Like

mark the message you missed as spam.

SS stats will recalculate. It can take up to several days.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.