Yinzpired
Inspiration Seeker

Message FROM someone I ordered from screwed up my star seller stats

Jump to solution

I just realized that a Thank You message that I received FROM someone that I purchased an SVG file from last month ruined my star seller stats because I didn't reply to them. Makes no sense that I would be judged on not responding to a thank you, when this should be based on replying to messages from customers/potential customers.  

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Message FROM someone I ordered from screwed up my star seller stats

Jump to solution

Mark it as spam. Spam does not count against you.

Etsy can't distinguish between being a buyer or seller in messages so you need to respond to all messages.

All of them.

Even if you just respond with a smiley face or the letter A.

View solution in original post

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Every incoming first message counts. Spam it. I t should come off you total in a day or 2.

View solution in original post

1 Like
32 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Mark it as spam. Spam does not count against you.

Etsy can't distinguish between being a buyer or seller in messages so you need to respond to all messages.

All of them.

Even if you just respond with a smiley face or the letter A.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Every incoming first message counts. Spam it. I t should come off you total in a day or 2.

1 Like
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

If you read the information that etsy has provided about  star seller you will see that this is the way it is.

How to Become a Star Seller – Etsy Help

Here is the link.  It clearly says messages from both buyers and sellers count toward this.  In fact it has it's own little box so it stands out more.  It's been like this since this program started.

6 Likes
Yinzpired
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, I didn't want to mark it as spam because I didn't know if that would reflect badly on the other person, and I didn't want to cause them any harm. Good to know, thanks!

1 Like
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

That is very kind of you, but consider this....(I don't even remember how many times I have mentioned this in the forums)....it is spam. There is no reason for a seller to message you thanking you. They can do so on their packing sheet with the item. They can set up a thank you through etsy that goes to you after purchase. There is not a reason for them to message you even when the item ships as etsy sends those notifications automatically. The message you received was spam and sellers need to be more responsible with the messages they send.

7 Likes

Jump to solution

I hate it when sellers try to put the blame on the 1) message or 2) the messenger.

Neither of those "screwed up your star seller stats"

You "screwed up your star seller stats" by not 1) not reading the rules or 2) thinking it wasn't important to reply to a "thank you".

If someone thanks you, it's always nice and customary to say "you're welcome".  Those two words could have save countless star seller accounts.

21 Likes

Jump to solution

@mommawhazelsquilts 

I think the world has forgotten the you're welcome part. OR maybe it is just too "old fashioned"

6 Likes

Jump to solution

One reason is that it's just a result of the internet and texting.

For example, if someone sends a text and the response is THX, for the most part, no one types "you're welcome".

Maybe they will send back and emoji.

I think the days of being offended by grammar are long gone.  Sorry to the grammar police.  Mobiles ruined it for those sticklers.

3 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I do not agree. It was an unsolicited message unnecessary to the transaction. It was spam. Countless star seller accounts could be saved by sellers not sending unsolicited messages. Come on, we all know most of the time it is not a genuine thank you they are sending. It is a hey, remember me? Come back and buy more. It is a marketing tactic and irritating to those of us who sort through hundreds of emails every day.

2 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ThePurplePuppy

I just had this conversation a little while ago with my adult son. Times are changing. I was told that the proper response to "thank you" is now "no problem" directly displaying to the person saying thank you that they were not a burden on you. To say "you're welcome" is to reiterate to them that they owed you the "thank you". Who knew? Some people even take offense to a thank you response.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@DragonflyDreams1 

You're right; times are changing, unfortunately not always for the better. And there is a disconnect within communication between human beings.

It's sad when a Thank You from a Seller is considered "Spam"(yes, we've seen these discussions many times). Spam is "Buy my gems, 10% off sale".  Not a Thank You from the Seller. 
I also send a Thank You Message with further details about the Order (which items will be packaged together, how much of a Partial Ship. Refund they'll receive; when the pkg. will go to the Post. Off. That I will closely monitor their pkg.; should you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact me. (In my Policies, I state after the Order I will contact you with further details about your Order).

And here's another example; when I track a pkg. and find it's sitting in a sorting facility or has taken the scenic route, I'll do everything in my power to kick it out.  I want to communicate this to my Customer so they don't think I'm sitting on my hands thinking "Oh well, I have your money; so what if your pkg. never gets there."  They appreciate that communication.  So if the initial Communication is Marked as Spam, I guess this info about the roving or stuck pkg. wouldn't be relevant.

Even before the SS Metrics came out, Buyers only accts. would say, "Thank You" or "Thanks".  It also takes me less time to write that than it does to post to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, TicTock (I don't actually do any social media, personal preference. Just using it as an example).

It doesn't mean it's the right or wrong way, but I won't consider a Seller's Thank You as Spam.

@Yinzpired   I think it's nice that you considered not doing the Seller harm by Marking as Spam.  But the above is my perspective about Thank You Messages from Sellers.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you @ChillwolfArt for stating it so nicely. Etsy (or any similar platform) confirming the order does not tell me that the seller has seen it or received it. How many threads have there been saying that a seller has not seen or received an order notification. I appreciate knowing that the seller is aware of the order and working on it. To us it is good customer service not spam.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

It was an unsolicited message unnecessary to the transaction. It was spam. 

Nope. A simple thank you message related to an order is not spam. 

Spam is an unsolicited promotional message. If the seller said "Thanks for your order, here's 10% off your next order," that would be spam. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

You're welcome has never been customary as part of the email world or text message world.  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@JDTotesnDolls It has been in mine.

1 Like
Yinzpired
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This thread is all very strange, lol! I actually had surgery last week and wrote in this forum on the next day, and I'm not sure I even knew where I was writing...I've never participated in this Forum before & kind of wish I hadn't posted this. I think I thought I was writing to etsy help or something, because I certainly wasn't looking for a discussion about this...no one has time to sit and read debates on what is and isn't spam/acceptable. 

I don't need any kind of lesson on manners, I'm quite well versed in "please", "thank you", and "you're welcome". 

There was no logical response to the message this person had sent...they're pitch was "Thank for your order" (it was for a digital file, so I didn't need hand holding through the delivery process), then they wrote "please give me COMMENTS and FEEDBACK on purchased items.!"

I've got to get out of this forum...but I guess "Thanks" to everyone for the answers (no need to reply "you're welcome", LOL! )

1 Like

Jump to solution

Is everyone seeing the blue banner (laptop) or the blue dot (mobile) for first-time messages?  It's kind of hard to miss.  Not sure if it's a test, or if everyone has it?

1 Like

Jump to solution

@PillowDetails 

I get the blue banner on my PC.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I have a blue banner that says "We made it easier to stay on top of messages...."

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@PillowDetails 

I received the blue banner when you sent me a Test Message.  The only thing though; after seeing various Threads, I don't know how it works when you have Repeat Customers.  I'm seeing Sellers say their Messages are latching onto ones from last year.  And according to the Admin Announcement, it's only supposed to combine Messages from June 30.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I've been seeing it and I appreciate that it's there. I don't get a ton of messages but I'm old and need reminders that I have to answer it. LOL

0 Likes
cbfortheBIRDS
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yes, I have and like it.  Hope it stays.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I wish that they had just added the blue banner and left the rest of messaging alone.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

You should know by now that you have to respond to ALL messages, regardless of what they are about, or you can mark them as spam (the seller won't know) if no reply is necessary. Doing one of the two will protect your star seller rating. This has  been discussed many times already.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.