Mailing Flats

Can someone explain how to send something small like and iron patch or sticker as a flat? I just read a nice article stating that we can do that but when I put in flat , it tells me not available.

I have many items I could put less shipping on if I could send as a letter or a flat.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Mailing Flats

Did you read teh information in Help about shipping flat? Item has to qualify for a flat.  

If it is very bumpy and detailed you may not be able to ship it as a flat.  The surface must be completely flat.  If wrapped it cannot raise the height beyond a quarter inch

0 Likes

No I didn't read anything about that but when I put the info in it just always says not available. I can't get into the labels until I have something to ship again. I just thought I was missing something.

0 Likes

You should be able go into old sale and pretend like you're buying a new shipping label for it to test out the settings. At least that's how I get into labels to test something when I don't have an open order to ship. Just make sure to cancel and not actually purchase another label. 

Also, just noting because I know a lot of people use Pirateship, these flat and letter rate options are only available through Etsy labels. PS does not give an option for these as they don't consider them commercial packages. 

0 Likes

I mail patches all the time as letters. 

I saved a preset, you may need to make sure your envelopes are similar in order to work, but here's what I have input:

Package type: Letter

.5oz, 9.5"x4"x.1"

That gives me the $.64/first class (stamp) pricing

If I use a larger envelope, like 9"x6"x.1", then I choose 'flat', and it's around $1.50. 

I think if you're choosing letter or flat and it's saying there's no option available, then your dimensions don't fit the requirements for that service. You may need to play around to figure out the best settings. 

2 Likes

Hi! Quick question since you seem like you have experience with Flats/First Class ... I just switched over. to using Flat/FC (I have been overpaying since they switched to Ground Advantage!) Anyway - The first few batches of orders went through fine with detailed tracking info ... But my last 2 rounds of orders are stuck in pre-transit even though they were hand delivered to the Post Office. Have you had this happen / Do you have any suggestions? I'm staring to get emails from nervous customers!

0 Likes

That is the downside of flats. They have Pitney Bowes "tracking " not actual USPS tracking. They often get stuck as Pre Transit even after shipping. 

1 Like

Ok I will try that. Thanks so much for responding!

0 Likes

The thickness needs to be 0.25" or less for an envelope, or 0.75" or less for a flat.

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

How to Ship First-Class Flats and Letters with Etsy Shipping Labels

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039466434-How-to-Ship-First-Class-Flats-and-Letters-with-...

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

@PerfectDayPrintCo This is a very common occurrence with shipping via Etsy FC Letter Flats, and because it happens so frequently, many sellers are no longer using that service!  The tracking is NOT true USPS tracking ... it can ONLY be tracked via Etsy or Pitney Bowes website.   It is really more of a delivery confirmation #.  While the so-called tracking may suffice Etsy's Star Seller metrics, the fact that there is very little scanning and more delays or lost mail issues, it just isn't worth the hassle.  Many sellers are also finding they are getting more "shipping adjustments" with using that service because their items don't fit the size & weight criteria for flats & letters.  So instead of being charged the next level -Ground Advantage- the PO will charge them Priority Mail fees.  IMHO, shipping via Ground Advantage is well worth the extra cost, especially considering it automatically includes $100 insurance and you can ship up to 70#.  You cannot do that with FC Letters or Flats, so when an order goes astray or stays in "pre transit status", buyers get upset and so sellers are having to issue their buyers refunds.  That can add up pretty fast and greatly cut into a seller's profits.  

For more info ... 

How to Ship First-Class Flats and Letters with Etsy Shipping Labels

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039466434-How-to-Ship-First-Class-Flats-and-Letters-with-...

3 Likes

Ugh - thanks for the info - what a bummer! The whole reason that I switch is because I was getting adjustments to Priority from Ground! Most of my orders are under .75 so they were getting adjusted to priority flat rate. It’s like being caught between a rock and a hard place

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.