CuteCozyCraftsUS
Inspiration Seeker

Local delivery threw off Star Seller metrics

I had an order from a co-worker this month that I marked as a local delivery and refunded the shipping costs on, but I’m being penalized in the Star Seller metrics because it “didn’t have tracking”. 
This seems like an error in the calculations that should be reviewed.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
Soapsmith
Conversation Maker

Re: Local delivery threw off Star Seller metrics

Not an error, that is how it works.  It has been that way since the inception of the program and that is explained in the star seller information.

"What if I offer local pick-up or delivery for my items?

At this time, orders that don't have tracking because they are delivered or picked up in person will be considered shipped without tracking, and will not meet the Star Seller criteria for shipping."

3 Likes

@CuteCozyCraftsUS 

Etsy is pretty clear about local pick up and delivery works (or doesn't work) with star seller here in the Help Center. 

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403058372503-How-to-Become-a-Star-Seller?segment=selling

"What if I offer local pick-up or delivery for my items?

At this time, orders that don't have tracking because they are delivered or picked up in person will be considered shipped without tracking, and will not meet the Star Seller criteria for shipping"

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Yeah, that will happen.  The rules are all orders need tracked on time shipping.  There is no way for Etsy to know for certain that  an in person delivery was actually delivered by the seller, or received by the buyer.  No proof of shipping, no tick for SS.  You may need to decide what is more important to you, a happy customer or a little purple badge with (IMO) no definitive value.  

1 Like

One way of meeting the Star Seller metric is to send the buyer a receipt by tracked letter and input that tracking number.

1 Like

It's not just star seller that is affected.  For some reason my shop has been put on reserve!  The explanation from ETSY is not that clear. The only thing I can think of is I have sent out some untracked items. The whole thing is really annoying as in Australia tracked letters are quite expensive and I have hesitated to pass on to my buyers the inflated costs.

0 Likes

It's not jut star seller, it's also required for seller protection,

Etsy is not designed for local pickup.

Just a note of warning,  you have a string of beads next to a childs toy, bots are looking at pictures, and etsy is hypersensitive about children and beads, after a child died because the teething necklace bought here, didn't have a quick release clasp - so I would personally re-do the photos, without the necklace.

1 Like

i thought that tracking was only required for everything over $15.00 aud.  Does that include postage or just the sale price of the item?

0 Likes

The OP is in the USA, tracking is required for everything there

It is based on the price of the order, excluding shipping, and BEFORE and discounts/coupons/sales are applied

0 Likes

I realise from previous posts that in USA everything has to have tracking. I am still confused, because as far as I can see that is the reason my account has been put in reserve is because of untracked items. So does that now mean that in Australia everything has to have tracking as well, because most of the items that were posted I have not included tracking as the purchase price was under $15,00.

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

The SS rules for we Aussies are that tracking is required for all orders $15 and over.  The $15 is made up of the item price BEFORE any discounts are applied.    So if it is a $15 item, marked down to 20% off, then despite the fact that the buyer only pays $12, you still need tracking to qualify for SS. 

I don't know if this will help you but a couple of years back Auspost brought out prepaid tracked cardboard mailers for domestic shipping.  There are three sizes and the largest is ideal for A4 paper goods, at around $6.30.  This might be an option for your magazines and pattern books, and it has tracking to satisfy Etsy requirements.

0 Likes

Thanks for that. I do use the prepaid envelopes, but charging $6.30 for posting an A4 size, thin knitting pattern booklet goes against the grain somewhat.

I'm still not sure understand why my account has been put in reserve as I'm pretty sure most of the untracked items were under $15.00 which was before I decided to have a sale. The notification from ETSY is a bit vague.

0 Likes

Edited to add: I do use the tracked envelopes for anything $15.00 plus.

0 Likes

@MissyMoosAttic 

There are millions of sellers that don't send tracked, whatever the value, that is not enough, by itself, to be on reserve,

You will miss star seller depending on location and price of item, which means you are more likely to be put on reserve, if there is something else etsy doesn't like.

0 Likes

That's the problem. I can only see the mention about not adding tracking. The other reasons I don't think  apply ~ I dispatch on time, unless it is a public holiday in Australia and the P/O is closed.  If that is the case I amend my dispatch date and message the buyer to let them know. And I reply to any messages promptly.

0 Likes

you can't just extend ship dates and message the buyer, it is a reason for reserve

you have to get prior agreement with them, BEFORE you change the ship date, and even then , etsy doesn't like it, if you do a few

when a holiday approaches, extend your processing times, before people buy

0 Likes

I'm pretty sure I have only done this twice, and it was because I didn't realise the P/office was closed after the public holiday on the Friday. In Melbourne, Victoria we have some weird public holidays ~ Shops etc were closed because it was the grand final football celebration parade!

In future if I have to do this again I will talk to the buyer first. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.