Listing removal

Hi. Recently, since making my Palestine listings, they have been getting taken down. Etsy says it goes against Prohibited Policy, but none of them include the things Etsy says. I’ve reached out to support and they just reply with a general information email. What should I do?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
25 Replies

Re: Listing removal

The Palestine items are still visible in your shop.

1 Like

It’s my recent ones. Not my older ones!

1 Like

If they mentioned the war they could be considered tragi-crafting or trying to profit off a tragedy. This is not allowed. 

5 Likes

But first of all, countless others are making Palestine solidarity things. Second, I’ve been making them for a while since the war and it’s the first time it’s happened. It’s been happening a little more often. Should I try removing the Gaza keywords?

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@dhikrdesignsco  It does not matter what others are doing - Etsy took down your listings.

5 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

If Gaza / Palestine is a recent addition to the list of bot-removal words, it will remove items as they are listed / renewed

So your older items may well remain untouched --until they expire or are sold. Then they will be removed when you try to renew them

4 Likes

Or not try profiting off a war.

9 Likes

But I’m Palestinian and my products are based off of Islam and Palestine either way. That’s the audience I sell to whether or not there is a war.

3 Likes
Vintorious
Conversation Maker

It would really help to know what the items were that were removed. You already know that some words and phrases are controversial, and as such, are not going to be permitted here. If the item was a piece of artwork (I see your Pinterest board has several that aren't in your shop), it may have been identified by automated search and remove bots as being someone else's work.

2 Likes

I tried a piece of wall art with a popular saying, that got taken down. The only one available on my Pinterest is the town one, which got taken down, so I think they’re censoring Palestine and Gaza. 

0 Likes
Vintorious
Conversation Maker

If you search "Gaza" you will see an entire category of "support Gaza" items that are listed. There is no trade embargo with the West Bank, Gaza, or Israel, which is what would trigger a policy change. I think there is some other reason for the removals. ETA: if, however, the 'popular saying' is the one I think it might have been then yes, it is banned.

3 Likes

Makes sense. For me, every time I mention Palestine or Gaza they get taken down. I’ve done many of the exact same type of wall art as the ones that have been taken down without including those keywords and they’re fine. I honestly just wish Etsy would let me know the complete reason. 

0 Likes

I feel reassured that ETSY would consider removing your listings, its horribly controversial, whatever stance one takes over this. This is a place to be creative and not political posturing. 

1 Like

@theelventextiletree Then Etsy shouldn't allow listings with a political message at all.

2 Likes

@dhikrdesignsco true , but this is Etsy and communication and clear messages are not there strong point 

0 Likes
Lamadesignberlin
Inspiration Seeker

Hi! I'm sorry this happened to you. My listing also got taken down for allegedly "encouraging, supporting, or glorifying acts of hate or violence." Although there's nothing on my description that says anything like that, so I'm guessing it got reported by Zionists. 
I'm wondering if there's a possibility of appeal? What happens if I create a new listing with the same product and change the description? 

The product are watermelon earrings in the shape of Palestine, and here's the description:

"There are no words to express my grief for the Palestinian people & the powerlessness towards an indifferent western society ruled by capitalism and white supremacy.

In Germany, where I live, it is currently not allowed to display Palestinian flags, you cannot even wear the traditional Palestinian scarf, because you will be harassed by the police, and even arrested. So I decided to make this earrings, a Palestinian symbol of resistance, and donate all the profits to The Palestine Children's Relief Fund (PCRF).

Let's do whatever we can to stop this genocide."

I've been able to donate the money so far, but now I feel my hands are tied, I don't want to risk my store getting closed

0 Likes

It was probably "white supremacy." That is considered hate speech.  Take out everything after Palestinian people and see if that works although there is probably a lot more that Etsy considers hate speech.  Something like "these earrings are to support The Palestine Children's Relief Fund (PCRF).

1 Like

That's a very hateful, racist statement.

Social Studies was never my best subject, but isn't Etsy a "western, capitalist" marketplace?

5 Likes
Vintorious
Conversation Maker

@BrimstoneHillDesigns exactly what did you find to be "racist" and "hateful?" A person would need to be willfully blind not to understand the prevalence of white supremacy in Western society. (The capitalism part is pretty self explanatory as well.)

1 Like

@Vintorious  Yes but Etsy has a "don't talk about it policy" because they will remove the items from your shop.

3 Likes

I think the problem is that your earrings are in the shape of what is officially Israel since 1948.

And that is controversial, because it could be interpreted as going in the direction of questioning Israel's "right of existence".

I think the shape of a watermelon slice would be ok. Some people would still feel offended by this, but they will have a hard time getting the listing removed.

0 Likes

I had some listing removed due to  prohibited..... These listing were in my shop since 2017!! and this morning I had a mail from etsy saying that they were reinstated... within 24 hours. But they are still inactive!!!  and of course impossible to  have contact with Etsy

0 Likes

I see lots of Palestine listings in your shop.

Hard to know why Etsy takes down a listing ... they aren't very specific.

Some of the responses in this thread might provide some clues that you can use to figure out why some listings got taken down.

Then if you want to challenge Etsy policies, that will require doing so with Etsy. All other sellers can do is share their opinions.

1 Like
Vintorious
Conversation Maker

Have you obtained permission from the charity you are donating to for the use of their name in your listing? This could be the problem: Donating Shop Proceeds to Charity.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.