WhileLoops
Inspiration Seeker

Listing photos cropped on Etsy and Etsy Seller mobile apps

Jump to solution

My listing photos look OK on the Etsy website (both on desktop and mobile browsers) but are cropped on the Etsy (and Etsy Seller) mobile apps. For context, I use 2700px (W) x 2025px (H) size photos.

Is this a recent change? I'm just noticing this now, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case a couple of weeks ago. I can't see any distinction in requirements on the Etsy help page.

Is anyone else facing this?

I've also tested a square size (2048px x 2048px) and set its resolution to "1:1" on the item listing / photo details, with similar results. It actually looks even worse since it also looks cropped on the browser. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Re: Listing photos cropped on Etsy and Etsy Seller mobile apps

Jump to solution

Etsy's help page is incorrect, 4:3 and 1:1 are wrong.

The desktop website thumbnails are 5:4.

3000 x 2400px is therefore the best listing image size if you want maximum image quality and no cropping.

Etsy mobile site and apps may use other thumbnail sizes so keep your product in the central square area.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

View solution in original post

3 Likes
9 Replies

Jump to solution

Try 2000px X 2000px 

0 Likes
WhileLoops
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Same! Slightly less cropped but still nowhere near good.

Is this a problem for ANYone else? Do comment if you are seeing the same.

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy's help page is incorrect, 4:3 and 1:1 are wrong.

The desktop website thumbnails are 5:4.

3000 x 2400px is therefore the best listing image size if you want maximum image quality and no cropping.

Etsy mobile site and apps may use other thumbnail sizes so keep your product in the central square area.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

3 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I have just noticed that the first listing image on the Android App listing page is cropped to square, so keep your product in the centre for your first product image. The other images on the page are not cropped.

Lawrence

0 Likes
WhileLoops
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Hmm.. all the listing photos are cropped on the iOS app (both Etsy and Etsy Seller), not just the 1st one.

0 Likes
HelenRaichle
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I have a similar, but different problem. My listing photo thumbnails look fine on the Etsy Seller app, but are cropped on the Etsy app, both viewed on the same android device. Lots of different answers and changes over the years. Why doesn't Etsy standardize this and make it easier for us? How do you fix this once and for all? Thanks.

1 Like
WhileLoops
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I feel you.

Honestly, the accepted answer is what worked for me. Still painful that I had to go and fix every single image for every single listing.... 🤦‍ but at least it looks OK (for now..).

So, as advised, what I did was change every image to 3000px X 2400px AND keep the product in the central square area (since there still is some left and right cropping).

1 Like
AnnieDotCreative
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I read through this thread but didn't see anything for sure, so I'll go ahead and ask.. am I the only one who uploaded square thumbnails, set the cropping to be how I want it, and STILL have wonky cropping happening on the shop page where they're all square? Like, if they're square shouldn't the whole image show up where they're displayed..as..squares? @_@

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@AnnieDotCreative 

The thumbnail adjustment tool still saves as 5:4, and so the adjusted thumbnail is cropped at the sides to make it square for the shop home page.

If you have a square first image and don't want it cropped on the shop home page then don't use the thumbnail adjustment tool.

For search results Etsy have some weird code that creates a square thumbnail from the adjustment tool position, by including parts of the full 1st image above & below the 5:4 area, if possible. It sort of works, but you don't always get what you expect.

Lawrence

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.