Listing Descriptions Missing

I just noticed that the listing descriptions are missing on each item page in my shop. I checked other shops and their listings are missing also.

Is an update happening or is this a glitch? Thanks for looking into it.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
68 Replies
JoeBlake
Crafty Poster

Re: Listing Descriptions Missing

It's another test and they moved the description with the shipping information under the photos. You have to push the down arrow now to see the description and shipping information. Why they make it harder for buyers to find information is beyond me.

20 Likes

Thank you! I have been trying to reboot and everything else.

0 Likes

no - they ate no longer under the photos. The descriptions are completely gone.

2 Likes

This is ridiculous. I didn't even see the little drop down arrow and thought all the descriptions were gone.

12 Likes

@MontanaPrairie  Me too!

2 Likes
stcroixlighting
Inspiration Seeker

It is ridiculous!  If the seller cannot see the item description, how in the world can a prospective buyer?  Stop fooling with our descriptions - they are important to the buyer.  You cannot buy an item by just looking at pictures!  SMH

2 Likes
bohemians
Community Maker

They not only make the descriptions hard to find ... if you have anything in your cart, you get a pop-up that covers the descriptions even if you do eventually find them.

I'm thinking the strategy is to promote impulse buys because they need to increase purchase numbers, but its the sellers that have to absorb the loss if the buyer opens a case because the item is not what they 'assumed' it was. As a buyer, I feel manipulated when I see these tactics ... puts me off buying completely ... whether it's onling or in-store. I like consistency ... I don't have time to relearn how to navigate a site or a store layout every time I go in. Some of this may work for them, but doesn't work on me ... it just tick's me off.

Speaking as a former graphic designer ... they're page layouts and formats are a mess.  I've got huge stars and others things popping up on my small ipad screen and miniscule "Learn more about this item' on my big desktop monitor. 

20 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I agree that this is terrible!

1 Like
bohemians
Community Maker

Oops ... I should really be better at proof reading.

*their

0 Likes

As far as increasing sales, I have none since this foolishness started.

3 Likes

Yes this is very annoying moving it to a hard to spot drop down. They tested this a few months ago too, very bad idea. Etsy team please note!

8 Likes
bettysworld4u
Conversation Maker

@cookiejarbruce since they have moved mine 3 times before, I had to put a text description photos in all my listings. I still have page 5 on to do, but it's really the only solution I have found. Very time consuming.

2 Likes

This is beyond ridiculous!  Now, there is just a big blank space under pricing on a desktop.  I am sure that more people will neglect to read the descriptions now.  

7 Likes

People can't FIND the descriptions! I'm a professional shopper/seller and even I bounced from two shops thinking they were trying to be sly and avoid not as described claims by NOT actually describing anything. I've had to put the following shop announcement up: PLEASE NOTE: Etsy has changed the way some listings display. If you cannot see my item description at first glance please look under the photographs for the section ITEM DETAILS. I REALLY don't want to waste a photograph slot for the description text because I often use all the slots for-ya know-photographs....

2 Likes
MouseGarden
Conversation Maker

Hate it, especially in December.

4 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

You know what's crazy about this; we as Sellers know about tests coming and going. And WE have difficulty finding the Description. I can only imagine what Buyers think from day to day, it's over here one day and gone the next. For me, I'm back in this test. Description is on the Left, under photo. But you have to click the arrow to see Item Details.  Click AGAIN to See More. Also have to click a separate Tab to see Shipping and Policies (on the Left as well).

5 Likes

@ChillwolfArt SAME!!! And sellers had issue with people not reading the description BEFORE. Well-now they can't find the description at all so thanks Etsy-way to sabotage us on every level.

2 Likes
UppNorthCo
Community Maker

yup.  totally stupid.  I noticed last night when I was looking at a listing from a forums post.  just makes you think wtf etsy?  they did this recently too.  does that means it's a done deal?  you have to search for the little drop down arrow.

4 Likes

So glad someone answered this, thank you! I have been here since 2006 and I could not find the descriptions, imagine a new user. 

I agree the blank space under the price is weird, and everything is super crowded on the other side with no focus on the description at all. Our descriptions explain things but also personalize them, give them more of a style or a vibe. I appreciate a lot of the research that goes on to optimize the site but this one is not good.

3 Likes
GloryOaksLeather
Inspiration Seeker

I am brand new and this is the only way my listings have shown up. So I dont even know what they used to look like. 

0 Likes

Betreff: Listing Descriptions Missing

This is but one of the numerous rotten ideas Etsy graces us with since many months (maybe longer?!). First this ugly ashes shading over the cropped description. Now the description burried under a useless ‘popup thumbstone’ which kills potential buyer’s impulse to grasp what the item is about and click ‘buy’. And a third of the page’s space on the right is wasted blank. How can one be so ignorant and stupid?

I can only repeat what I have been screaming several times this year: I’m so upset about all this useless insane ѕḣιτ they produce. There seem to be stupid infants directing these things at Etsy. When will adults and professionals take over to free us from all this?! Why is no one there realising what is going on? Why is no supervision acting in corrective way?

We have been screeming out loudly so many times: Etsy, please listen. But nothing of the kind happens.

6 Likes

Betreff: Listing Descriptions Missing

And always during holiday season.

2 Likes

Really- in December? 

3 Likes
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

Surprise, they're back where they should be.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.