Listing Credit required for item unavailable in my region

I have seen the various threads about this issue.

My request is simple - I had a listing for a letter opener blocked so I amended the listing to that for a lacquerware plate - no relation to blades of any kind.

The listing still shows 'This item is unavailable in your region'. 

Have also checked any other cutlery or serving items that might be deemed by the bot to transgress the rule even though they have nothing to do with knives and found several.

So I require a credit for all the listings that I now have to delete as my buyers in the UK can't even see them.

Etsy help chat button has disappeared so asking here - HOW DO I GET A LISTING CREDIT FOR ALL THE LISTINGS I NOW NEED TO DELETE?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
25 Replies
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Re: Listing Credit required for item unavailable in my region

Changing a listing from one item to a totally different item is considered fee avoidance.
They will have blocked the letter opener by listing number after a bot picked up a key word -- presumably you described it as a "paper knife" so the bot picked up on knife. So no matter what the item now is, the listing will be blocked as it retains the same listing number after editing.

The listing will still be visible and available for non_UK buyers.

As for a refund -- listing fees are generally non-refundable in any circumstances.
You will have to contact Etsy via Help (keep clicking "I still need help" until you get the opportunity to email or request a call-back) -- tho I doubt they will refund you as non_UK buyers can still buy your listing.

2 Likes

"to a totally different item is considered fee avoidance"

I never understand this, as the listing fee has been paid, and the fees will be paid on a sale, so I don't see avoiding paying. Just saying! 

5 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

It used to be described as fee avoidance and explicitly forbidden in the rules -- I don't know if it still is.

Their rationale was that it upset the algorithms, and also caused confusion for people who have favourited it and any backlinks etc.

Even tho the OP probably changed her listing before any favouriting was possible, the algorithm identifying the listing as a "knife" is still in force 

2 Likes

"Their rationale was that it upset the algorithms, and also caused confusion for people who have favourited it and any backlinks etc."

A weak argument IMO, however it still isn't fee avoidance. I'm not arguing with you, it's just a fact:) 

2 Likes

But if you had to pay a new listing few to list the new item, Etsy would have made 20 cents more.  But you didn't so Etsy got nothing.  They considered this fee avoidance since they didn't get their 20 cents.  It used to be a lot more common when you couldn't delete listings at all because there was no way to delete listings.  That was a long, long time ago.

3 Likes

If the listing is used for a completely new item unrelated at all to the first, it is considered fee avoidance since each listing is supposed to be unique to the item in hand.

There are sellers that used to do this all the time.  This may be considered minor but buyers used to ask how something got into their favorites that they never favored and wouldn't have.  Why?  The seller used the listing for a completely new item when the Our House Rules call for a new listing for that new item.

0 Likes

I do not sell outside the UK.

This was a new listing and I substituted the item they didn't like for another item not to avoid fees as I had already paid them and was just trying to make the listing visible rather than deleting it and losing the fee. 

If Etsy have changed their terms and conditions and will not show this listing to my buyers - who are only in the UK - then I require a credit on a listing that is not visible to my buyer market because I was unaware of their introduction of this practice, having had no information about it before it went live. 

It also effects other listings that are now not visible but were at the time of listing when I paid the required fee.

4 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Etsy will probably say that it is your choice to limit your market, and as in theory the listing is available to other countries they have fulfilled their obligation.

But you can try to get a refund -- you will have to be very persistent -- and may not be successful

Or you can wait untill Etsy review all the bot-restricted items and reactivate those that are legal (tho this may take a few weeks.)

1 Like

I agree if Etsy change the rules after an item has been listed they should refund the listing fee. 

1 Like

Etsy has not changed the rules.  Using a listing for a brand new item is not allowed. 

A listing may be used only for the item it started with.  It can be reused for the exact same item type.  If one has an item similar then one uses copy creating a new listing.

It is in the Our House Rules and though the language has been changed over the years, it still has been that a listing is for that item and cannot be used for a completely different item.

0 Likes

The knives they're pulling are ridiculous, they never research an issue, just blanket ban everything, it's so lazy on their part. 

3 Likes

It's not ridiculous.  There are sellers on here that try to game the rules so Etsy has to do a broad casting to find them.

Weapons are an issue.  Knives are a weapon.  The only exception is cutlery knives which unclude cooking knives,  hunting knives and letter openers.

Adding the word knife alerted the bot.  Probably would not have happened if the title had been letter opener with no use of the word knife anyplace in title, description or tags.

0 Likes

@JDTotesnDolls 

That is not true for sending to the UK,

you cannot sell any knife or blade online, to anyone in the UK, without over 18 age verification 
and when they are delivered, they are not allowed to be handed over to anyone under 18

the exceptions are only

folding pocket knife with a blade less than 7.62cm (3 inches)
or
a replacement cartridge for a safety razor less than 2mm (under an inch)
( for scotland , you can sell cutlery and kitchen knives to over 16's)

the fines are unlimited, and it could carry a prison sentence up to 6 months

cutlery, and kitchen, and hunting knives over 3 inches are a definite no

0 Likes

My contract with Etsy requires them to show the things I list to the people who can buy them and I pay them the fee required. 

The stipulation of where I choose to sell is part of this contract and Etsy must make them visible to the potential buyers that I stipulate. 

They have changed the terms of our contract without notice by taking a fee for a listing which is not visible to the buyers they have contracted to show my shop to. 

Therefore I am entitled to my fees back as I have no alternative but to delete the listing as none of the people who may buy it can see it. 

1 Like

@BelieveToBeBeautiful 

When you list an item, you have to click to say you know the listing fee is non-refundable.

you are not entitled to any fees back,

Etsy's terms are much stricter than you understood
etsy's tous let them pull listings, or our shops, for any or no reason

these are more lenient ones

In addition, we may limit the visibility of listings or ads in the interest of keeping Etsy safe, and improving our Services.

If Etsy has reason to believe you, Your Content, or your use of the Services violate our Terms, including this Seller Policy, we may deactivate Your Content to some or all users, or suspend or terminate your account (and any accounts Etsy determines is related to your account) and your access to the Services.

but this is the blunt instrument if they need it

We May Discontinue the Services Etsy reserves the right to change, suspend, or discontinue any of the Services for you, any or all users, at any time, for any reason, including those laid out in Etsy’s policies under these Terms of Use. We will not be liable to you for the effect that any changes to the Services may have on you, including your income or your ability to generate revenue through the Services.

2 Likes

You need to have this argument with Etsy.  Nobody here can refund your 20 cents.  Good luck with this one.  As CraftyCornishMade pointed out, you agreed to pay the non-refundable fee.

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Hundreds of sellers get listings pulled over Etsy's recent crackdown on baby and childrens' goods.  You can complain about 20 cents, but Etsy has always stood firm on this.  Listing fees are non-refundable.  Be glad it was only one listing, rather than 100 or more.

You may feel it's unfair, but you are wasting a tremendous amount of time for 20 cents you will never get refunded.  

3 Likes
TangleCrafts
Conversation Maker

@BelieveToBeBeautiful I recently had an item deactivated by Etsy because they claimed it was prohibited (I've since contested & had the listings reinstated, but that's by the by). The first communication I received from them was headed 'Etsy listing deactivated for prohibited items'. Within that email, they stated, 'We’ve refunded you the fees for the listing(s) we removed."

If you received that initial email from Etsy (I know some people don't receive all Etsy communication, hence the 'if'), it might just be worth double-checking in case your email is similar to mine.  It was just one sentence, quite far down in the message, so could be easy to overlook...

0 Likes

how did you get through to a real person by email?   i've sent 2 emails and have gotten the same computer generated response that says i have no recourse or way to appeal it.  NONE of my seeds are on the prohibited list!!!

both of these 2 computer generated emails do NOT have a link that says "click for further help".  it literally says i have no recourse for appeal, but that i can generate a NEW report on a NEW issue.  

0 Likes

@HeritageFarmsSeeds  :  Every eMail from Etsy support will have a link something like "I Still Need Help". Click on that link in each reply from Etsy (or actually reply stating that you still need help) to keep the report alive. You may have to do this innumerable times, before anything is done but do not give up. DO NOT open a new issue or contact Etsy multiple times about the same issue (doing so closes the one you already opened and puts the new one on the bottom of the pile).

0 Likes

Only Etsy can reactivate an item that they deactivated.  If you were trying to bypass contacting them  to get it resolved and just resused the listing, of course it won't be shone.  You didn't allow time for Etsy to review and you didn't contact them to ask if it could be reactivated by altering the words.

Etsy has done what they have said in Our House Rules and elsewhere.  They establish the 'playground' for our shops.  It is up to us to work with them.  One of which is knowing the rules and abiding by them. 

0 Likes

i've read all the regulations and NONE of the seeds they have de-listed (NOT deactivated) are on their list.  they will NOT tell me what i have violated so i can correct it.  if they would, i would immediately do it.  

0 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

@HeritageFarmsSeeds 

"i've read all the regulations and NONE of the seeds they have de-listed (NOT deactivated) are on their list."

Etsy do not have an exhaustive list of forbidden plant items
Instead they cover themselves by adding such phrases as:

"Examples of prohibited toxic plants include, but are not limited to: ...."

"This list is not exhaustive and is subject to change at any time."

(emphasis mine)

So it does not matter if you cannot find the exact species on Etsy's published list. They have determined your seeds are now prohibited

0 Likes

Basil?  Arugula?  Marjoram?  Cosmos?  Zinnias?   no, this is an error, a BIG error.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.