C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

Latest Etsy Bizarre Behaviour "Post it in Every Category" - Test?

I've just notice that whatever I list now, in whatever category....eg "teapots" in this case - Etsy will automatically assign all of these other categories, mostly irrelevant - including gifts for under $30 - even if the item listed is for $500! it will still show up in searches as "Gifts under $30"  it will also show up in "personalised gifts" for items which obviously can not be personalised. There will be even more frustrated people fed irrelevant search results. 

• Home & Living
  • Kitchen & Dining
  • Dining & Serving
  • Gifts
  • Gifts Under $30
  • Gifts for Her
  • Gifts for Girlfriend
  • Gifts for Him
  • Gifts for Brother
  • Last Minute Gifts
  • Gifts for Couples
  • Gifts for Boyfriend
  • Housewarming Gifts
  • Gifts for Sister
  • Gifts for Dad
  • Personalised Gifts
  • Gifts for Husband
  • Gifts for Mum
  • Gifts for Wife
  • Gifts for Friends

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
10 Likes
24 Replies

Re: Latest Etsy Bizarre Behaviour "Post it in Every Category" - Test?

I agree. It is quite bizarre. And now they have added Gifts to the Categories in search with lots of these options.

Here is another thread on the subject
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/New-Category-includes-don-t-make-sense/m-p/14356479...

4 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

@DaysofYoreTreasures thanks....I didn't notice that thread. I think Etsy has lost control and is desperately trying to claw back sales by whatever hair brain way they can think of now.  Traffic is getting worse day by day....I am down 76% on what views normally are the past few days.

Somehow sellers need to try and convince buyers not to use Etsy search if they want to find anything.....or for that matter Google search now that it is geared to who pays the most for advertising. Bing and Edge seem to be the search engines that will actually give a decent search result still. 

14 Likes

@C20Ceramics 
That is an impossible dream. I just looked it up (on google, of course) and Google currently holds more than 90% of the world market share for search.

Then I decided to google Gifts Under $30. Quite a way down the page was an Etsy market page link called "Gifts under 30 - 60+ Gift Ideas for 2023" & the text beneath read "Check out our gifts under 30 selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our lip balms shops." (the bolding is mine).

When I clicked I was taken to an Etsy market page with 1,000+ results, many items over $30 (ignoring the ads), and not a lip balm to be seen.

9 Likes

DaysofYoreTreasures, I've seen the same thing from google this week, in google images I clicked a link to an item, but it went to amrket place page and that item was no where to be found. 4 pages deep.

1 Like
catfluff
Conversation Maker

the more they screw up search the less buyers will buy. Do they not understand this?

28 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

It reminds me of the innovation shown on myspace

2 Likes
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

How do you define “gifts” anyway? Think about it…literally ANYTHING can be a gift. The category is meaningless. 

13 Likes

@RueDeLouvain That is true, especially on Etsy. I they want to keep it they could try refining it better. 

0 Likes

Something is screwy with the categories for sure - on my front page there's a row of listings suggested for me under the title 'shop digital prints', yet none of those listings are even prints, let alone digital. Three framed paintings, a sculpture and a pennant/wall hanging. Probably a techie mess-up, they'll fix it at some point and then laugh and laugh...

1 Like

yes the categories, site search results are definitely screwy. IMO it's all the extra tagging to fill the 13 slots, and using tags that are long tail keywords. And etsy's obsession with AI related searches. And image similarity in searches (also AI) and then there are the sales and discounts, and ads all clumping center stage during the holiday season

0 Likes
HotOffHerHook
Conversation Maker

Now tha I've been made aware of the ":localization" factor, I think THAT is a major reason for allot o f shops' downward trend in sales.

2 Likes

I've noticed all of these categories automatically appearing as well. Is Etsy desperate and doesn't really know how to improve things? Us sellers probably have lots of good ideas if we had a way to speak to Etsy - a forum thread for example.

4 Likes
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

@TheBeadBB (you made me snort into my coffee)

0 Likes

I've just noticed this myself. Why would my jewelry, obviously for women, also show under the tags "gifts for husband/boyfriend/brother/Dad"?

3 Likes

I have to wonder if this is deliberate and Etsy would prefer buyers do Google searches instead so they can hit us with off-site ad fees. I'm unable to opt out of them, so far this year I've paid $410.76 in OSA fees. Method to the madness perhaps?

7 Likes

And Not A Single Category, Mentions Vintage ! Plus None Of These Apply To My Listing, It Is No Wonder Etsy Sales Are Down, Buyers Cant Find Anything As Is, What Are You Thinking Etsy !!!

3 Likes

Why would a gift for a boyfriend be different than a gift for a husband?  Why all the emphasis on gender and relationships?

3 Likes

@Duckwells tons of people actually gift shop by gender and relationships instead of the recipients' interests, bizarrely enough. I don't get it either. Maybe it is people who do not understand how gifts are supposed to work (my MIL falls in that category LOL)

0 Likes

I’m still stuck on mum vs mom and boyfriend vs. husband.  

1 Like

I don't personally even understand 'gift for boyfriend/man/husband. If you wanted something that specifically said boyfriend or husband sure, but... why lump them all into gender-defined categories? When I shop for my males I search things like 'gift for gardener' or 'book lovers gift' or even 'fishing tshirt'. Y'know, their actual personalities and interests...

4 Likes
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

I don't mind that my vintage items (mostly tableware and home decor) fall into more categories. The normal ones I always see are still there too. It may be a little surprising to shoppers that a set of silverplated knife rests will now show up under Gifts for Boyfriend or for Dad, but OK why not.

It's not so positive for the search results though that they'll apparently also show in wrong categories like Gifts under 30$ and Personalised Gifts.

0 Likes

My listing for an Italian sign which translates to "SHUT UP & EAT!" is now under the category "Gifts for Baby" & "Gifts for Teacher" What I don't understand is this mean I will be less seen in "Signs" category because I'm being shown in these other categories? 

2 Likes

Now I'm seeing a pearl necklace and earring set of mine will be seen under "Housewarming gifts"! Not sure how they are coming up with these categories...

0 Likes

oops, looks like several rows of stitches have gone badly awry!!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.