Just got charged almost 25% for an offsite ad fee, but I don't have offsite ads turned on. WTF?!

Jump to solution

The title says it all: I just sold an item for $8.95 (the only item I've sold in over a month on Etsy, BTW) and they charged me $2.10 in offsite ad fees on top of the long list of other fees they dinged me for, which together came out to almost 50% of my gross. Etsy took every last dime of profit. Once I replenish the core item, I will have broken exactly even...less, actually, because neither my time nor wear and tear on my equipment will have been covered.

I have NEVER signed up for offsite ads, so what's going on? Are they forcing OSA on everyone now?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Just got charged almost 25% for an offsite ad fee, but I don't have offsite ads turned on. WTF?!

Jump to solution

All shops are automatically enrolled in OSAs ever since it first started.  Maybe you weren't aware that you were also, but you can turn them off now unless you reached the $10K limit within the last 12 months.

View solution in original post

3 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Just got charged almost 25% for an offsite ad fee, but I don't have offsite ads turned on. WTF?!

Jump to solution

Check your settings > offsite ads to make sure it is off. If you have turned over 10.000 in the past 12 months I believe it is mandatory enrolment in the offsite ads program

3 Likes
AnnaleasFinest
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Except for EU sellers, where this is illegal.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

should be for UK sellers as well

3 Likes

Jump to solution

All shops are automatically enrolled in OSAs ever since it first started.  Maybe you weren't aware that you were also, but you can turn them off now unless you reached the $10K limit within the last 12 months.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Is it really the *last 12 months*? 

For some reason, I was under the impression that sales over $10K in ANY 12 month period meant we were stuck with OSA to the end of eternity.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@BarkingRockFarm It is ''any 12 month'' period.  But since the OP didn't know why she was charged the recent OSA fee, her situation could have been because she reached that $10K limit within the last 12 months. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you both for the tips! I had opted out when my shop was new in 2020, and I'm nowhere near $10k in sales, so not sure what's going on there. I did close the shop for awhile, so maybe it reverted back when I reopened. Pretty sneaky of Etsy if that's what happened.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

I didn't notice until I was working on my taxes that they had done it twice to me.  Just twice.  Why not more, Etsy?  I never tweaked it either way.  So it just did it twice and stopped. 

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CreeksideCraftwork  Did you try to contact chat support through your shop manager dashboard? It may be a technical issue.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.