I forgot that the word "amber" is immediately triggering this type of situation....Do I have to report this somewhere or will Etsy reactivate the listing without me doing anything? And how long does it normally take in this case? Thank you !

Re: Just finished knitting a scarf in amber orange and put it online...deactivated by Etsy.

They should review and reactivate it immediately. I forget what it says in the last announcement about the automatic deactivations and reviews, but I think something like to expect review within 2 days? Or was that just for items flagged as not handmade?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Re: Just finished knitting a scarf in amber orange and put it online...deactivated by Etsy.

You'd think those deactivation bots could be trained to find the combination of words amber, baby and bead before deactivating listings.  It sure would be nice not to have to find alternate descriptive words or to avoid the use of the word amber all together.  I'm to the point where I just don't sell amber jewelry anymore.  

1 Like

It’s so ridiculous! How can anyone own that word?! 

0 Likes

No one owns the word. Etsy prohibits the sale of strung amber beads that are less than 1.5" wide (or something similar.)
They just haven't programmed the bot to look for anything more specific than the word "amber" in order to deactivate the listing. Once a person looks at it, it should be reactivated until it's up for renewal again.

0 Likes

Hi, I've had that happen a couple times and I just edited the word amber to something else and no more problems 

0 Likes

I also used the amber word some time back in describing the “color” of a ceramic focal bead in a bracelet and Etsy took it down.  I just reposted the same bracelet listing describing the color as dark tan or similar and it worked.

0 Likes

I've sold all my items with the colour amber now, but back when I had them, I just waited a few days for Etsy to reactivate them. As long as I didn't edit them at all, they stayed activated. 

Since buyers do search "amber" as a colour, I don't see any reason to avoid using it when it applies. Sellers who are willing to wait a few days for reactivation have a search advantage over those who refuse to use the colour, IMO. 

4 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Maybe this will help? A little cheat list of amber "synonyms" (sort of) that I'm keeping on hand:

amber aka's
honey, butterscotch, applejuice, burnt sienna, burnt umber, caramel, henna, ochre, sepia, auburn, russet, saffron

2 Likes

Rif.: Just finished knitting a scarf in amber orange and put it online...deactivated by Etsy.

I had a glass snake listing deactivated as soon as it was posted, it was reactivated within 48 hours with no action on my part. Good luck!!

1 Like
decotini
Crafty Poster

In my experience with items which were flagged by the bots - I do nothing, and within 2 days it is cleared and made active, once a human looks at it.
Just a warning - every time that item comes up for renewal it will trigger the bots again. So changing the word AMBER will prevent that from happening again.

1 Like

will Etsy flag aml3er or am3er or something like that?

0 Likes

Don't know, but would anyone search using those terms?

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

No buyer looking for Amber is going to search for honey brown or golden honey or whatever... they are going to search for amber AND they will find amber but they won't see the honey gold listings in their search result.

It is a specific colour. Use it wisely and avoid relating it to the issues for which it is prohibited.

1 Like
artbronz
Inspiration Seeker

Or you can create another Listing if you will ! and Spell it "Ambar" it works in Search too , or you can use alternative words like:              butterscotch orange , Light Hazel , Honey Orange ... 
Good Luck !

0 Likes

I just had a new amber pendant deactivated automatically. It does not contain amber beads (wire-wrapped cabochon). It sounds like the best thing to do, based on what I've read here, is just wait for Etsy to review it and it will activate in a few days once a human has reviewed it. Does that sound right to all of you? I can't really call it anything but "amber", because we're dealing with actual amber, not "honey-coloured tree resin". I don't think anyone would search for that. 

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

yep, a solid plan of attack, patience is the key to wait for the item to be reactivated unfortunately. If it doesn't, open a ticket & include screen shots to support your case.

I 100% agree, nobody searching for amber is going to search for anything but "amber" in the search bar.

Not ambar, not honey orange, not yellow brown, not tree resin, not...

1 Like

Etsy had it reinstated 24 hours later. Not bad. 

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Burnt orange, honey, sunset orange, clear toffee, golden sunset.....

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

No buyer is going to type those colours in the search bar if they are looking for the colour amber.

They will type Amber and they will find Amber and "Burnt orange, honey, sunset orange, clear toffee, golden sunset" will not be found.

1 Like
Vintorious
Community Maker

Agreeing with others that a new listing with a different description (warm yellow orange?) is the way to go, but I also wanted to say how lovely your items are! 

0 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Etsy's bot for scanning the words in listings is only good as the person who programmed it which seems quite poor. There is Ai which can cross reference images with descriptions so Etsy should be able to improve the checking of listing images and descriptions and make better decisions.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.