Is there a bug with the review system?

In the last couple of days I have received 3 x 4 star reviews from customers who were all very happy with their items. This is not a whinge and 4 stars are still good - even though they may mean that my star seller status is revoked as a result. However I always contact the customer in these cases to thank them and ask if there was anything that was wrong or that I could do to improve upon next time. I do not ever ask for them to change their review - the exercise is just to make sure nothing was wrong that I need to put right. But I got a response saying that they meant to leave 5 stars and that it must have been an error. One customer has gone back in to change their review from 4 to 5 but it is still showing up as 4 stars. I have no reason to believe they are being untruthful. Has anyone experienced such a thing recently. Usually it wouldn't bother me but 3 in a couple of days is a bit of a red flag to me, this is not normal.  

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Is there a bug with the review system?

@ToshiandBobETSYSHOP: There are quite a few threads in this forum about your exact issue and there does not appear to be any official response from Etsy.

1 Like

I searched and couldn't find anything, good to know I am not going completely barmy though, thanks

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@ToshiandBobETSYSHOP   Was the buyer using a cell phone or desktop to leave a review? For a while I've heard the cell phones occasionally leave 4 stars when meant to leave 5. Recently, I've also heard from a repeat buyer that she wanted to leave 5 but accidentally left 4 due to arthritis in her hands and when she indicated she would change right away Etsy would not allow her to change to 5 stars.  With glitches like this our reviews will never be accurate but it appears that Etsy isn't concerned or maybe isn't aware. 

1 Like

Thanks for responding - they didn't say what device they used but I sent her the link to the etsy help article on how to change a review after she said that she had changed it and it hadn't changed - it says in there to contact etsy to remove a review but whether she will is another matter. I really don't feel comfortable contacting her again as I feel like it's bothering her. 4 stars is acceptable it's just a shame that I had 3 in a short space of time as it brings my overall rating down. Thank you anyway 

0 Likes

Yes their is a problem with the feedback system. A regular customer of minor left a review that got stuck on 3 . Then went to correct it and it stuck on 4. Also another customer contacted me as was unable to leave feedback even though review window was open for feedback. Customer was prompted and soon as went leave review a message came up nothing to review. She tried again week later but still the problem. However customer since purchased from another shop and had no problem leaving feedback. Most of my customers say they will leave feedback when Etsy feedback window opens but only very few manage leaving feedback so their is a problem. And if you look at other shops feedback you will see the pattern. Very happy with my purchase excellent service etc then the 3 or ,4 stars stuck. I have contacted Etsy about this and they say customer has to contact them so they can see what is happening their end. Well all want a smooth purchase no problems which is perfectly understandable. 

2 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

I had this happen a few weeks ago.  I think what it could be is that when you choose the stars it kind of stick on something and you end up not realizing that the stars were not what you meant to leave.  If you don’t go back to double check the way Etsy sets it up you might not notice. 

1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@ToshiandBobETSYSHOP  Looking at your reviews for the past 3 months, May, June and July, it doesn't appear you will be losing your SS badge so I wouldn't worry about it. 

0 Likes

Hi - quick update - one of the ladies has managed to change her review to 5 stars which I am very grateful for. Although at this point in time I am ok for star seller, it is still putting me a bit close to the barrier unfortunately, I was worried that if it was a glitch I would get more 4 stars which would, especially as I still have a 2 star hanging over me from a month earlier. Thank you for your responses

0 Likes

I've read in the forums that there is a problem with seeing all the stars on some mobile phones - so that if people are using the phones to do their review - they may think they are selecting all the stars they see.

I do understand how you feel.

Almost 3 months ago I received two 4-star reviews within a day of each other. Both included very complimentary messages and no indication problems. I debated whether I should message the buyers. I generally follow a no unsolicted messages - no nagging rule. I messaged one and never heard back and I didn't message the other. I also received a 3-star review with no comments whatsoever during this time period. It had been more than a year since I had anything less than a 5-star review - so I did think that three less than 5-star reviews in a short period of time was unusual.

2 Likes

I had a customer leave a 1 star review. I also contacted her and she said she couldn't leave 5 stars because it wouldn't let her but she was very happy with the item and planned on ordering more. She said she tried several times to no avail. A few days later she tried again and it allowed her to change the 1 start to 5. 

2 Likes
TheLastKult
Conversation Maker

Yes, I lost my SS in my other shop for July due to this- positive reviews, 5 stars on the individual metrics, but a 4 star overall. Also been a big slump in reviews being left. Not much I can do about it- it's not the buyers fault, it's Etsy, but they don't seem to be too concerned to rectify it as it's been going on for quite a while.

0 Likes

I've experienced same issue.  I've had customers say all they could see was 4 stars on their phone app, and have also had some say they thought they left 5 stars.  I've also had two reviews in the last week where it showed up on my dashboard as zero stars.  When I click on the review it just refreshes the page, and I don't see those reviews on my shop at all, so must be a glitch of some sort. 

Sucks that Etsy's review system is glitchy since they put such an emphasis on it for SSP reasons.  Not everyone cares about the SSP, but many do, and not everyone gets so many reviews that they can afford to absorb the occasional 4 start that was meant to be 5.  Saying to someone "you get plenty of reviews so don't worry about it" doesn't address the issue.  Etsy needs to look into this.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.