Inform Act verification technical glitch

Jump to solution
Is anyone else running into a technical issue from the Etsy "Inform Act" verification? We verified last year - and got tagged again to upload our ID again. (Despite having a "verified" mark from Etsy on our accounts setting.)

No problem. But when I go to do it, the system won't let me actually submit the files. (The button is literally grayed out.) Also, the address for the verification of my government-issued personal ID is listed as our business address - rather than my home address.

I've been talking with Etsy tech support twice a day since last week - and now, we're getting a big, scary red warning saying our shop will be forced into vacation mode and we won't get paid for our sales unless we verify in the next two days.

And yet, the site won't let us verify...even though we're already verified...

Tech support says this is a know problem with the site, and that the company's finance and engineering departments are aware - but they're not sure what's happening. And they can't say what the problem is or when it will get fixed, only "please give us a few days to respond." Which isn't really helpful, given that Etsy support is also saying that they can't do anything to delay the forced shut-down/vacation mode.

So....are we the only ones dealing with this? I honestly don't know what to do, at this point.
Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Inform Act verification technical glitch

Jump to solution

@dellcovespices  The solution is to only upload ONE file. It says you can upload up to 7, but that’s not true…you can only upload one. This is a known issue to Etsy and they are working on it. So, try uploading only one document and see if your button turns black to submit. I had to condense three images into one document in order to upload only one doc. I wrote a post about it in the forums, hoping to help people with this as Etsy Support did not mention this issue until I replied with my solution…then they mentioned it was a known issue.

View solution in original post

7 Likes
32 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi there, I also had the scary red banner saying I had a few days to confirm my info. I've had my account since 2012.

I was put on a "forced vacation mode" yesterday after trying to upload my LLC certificate and re-verify my info. 

I got an email saying it was because of the "Inform Act" regulations. I also read an article that not all states have implemented the act, but my state has.  

There was a glitch where it took too long to load so I refreshed it and then it said I only had two tries and now my account will be locked. I was able to upload my certificate, even after the forced automatic vacation mode. But it just says "pending." The red reminder banners remain, until Etsy verifies what I've submitted I assume. 

Meanwhile, my shop was put on a forced vacation mode, and I'm not able to sell. This whole thing is ridiculous and I hope it gets resolved soon. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I just clicked on your shop and it appears to be open now. Hopefully my shop will open soon as well. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It's the same for us - we've been on Etsy and in business since 2010. Our reviews are 5-stars, we're a Top Seller, etc, etc.

Our shop is still open - it hasn't shut down. (Yet?) The scary red banner says Etsy is going to put us into forced vacation mode by Wednesday night/Thursday morning if this isn't resolved.

I can't even upload and send the documents to re-verify, if that's what it would take, because the button to transmit is grayed out.

Are you talking with tech support on this?

5 Likes

Jump to solution

I had received an email from Etsy Trust/Safety team. I just responded to it. Hopefully they will review it and resolve this nightmare.

It's really weird, that shops that have been open as long as ours, in good standing (Star sellers, etc.) have to go through this nonsense. I understand laws change, but I sell vintage/handmade decorative items. Not anything "unsafe or counterfeit" which is what the Inform Act is attempting to deter. I don't understand why we're being held in limbo.. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Fingers crossed! You might be able to continue going through the process of "verifying" even though they haven't cleared the documents yet. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

The button issue you're having is a definite glitch issue. I had a loading issue the first time I attempted to reverify, which led my shop to being closed. And when I refreshed it, and then reattempted to add my LLC paperwork it counted as two times. It automatically enacted the "forced vacation mode." Because it said I only had two attempts. Which is really irritating. 

I was lucky that I had all my orders taken care of before the "forced vacation mode" happened. I would be sure to button up any pending orders just in case your shop does get put on a "forced vacation mode." 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Well, I will say that it's not looking too hopeful. I got a reply to my email, and it was the same email they originally sent. Which makes me realize it was an automatic robotic response. Now I am starting to get worried. I did see that after I was able to upload the document yesterday it said it could take 2-5 days for them to re-verify. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm surprised that Etsy will not allow you to send your documents by (analog means) the good old Fax machine, if the digital upload links have bugs. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@dellcovespices  The solution is to only upload ONE file. It says you can upload up to 7, but that’s not true…you can only upload one. This is a known issue to Etsy and they are working on it. So, try uploading only one document and see if your button turns black to submit. I had to condense three images into one document in order to upload only one doc. I wrote a post about it in the forums, hoping to help people with this as Etsy Support did not mention this issue until I replied with my solution…then they mentioned it was a known issue.

7 Likes

Jump to solution
4 Likes

Jump to solution

I was able to upload a MOUNTAIN of documents in one file. THANK YOU!!!!

Now, fingers crossed that this gets verified/approved before they shut us down.

For the future - and in case anyone else reads this:

* The browser I used: Google Chrome

* I cleared cache/cookies

* I then closed the browser, restarted the computer and relaunched Google Chrome

* I put all of the documents/images into a single PDF, and uploaded that file

* The button turned black - so I could click it

* It's now in the verifying stage

Fingers crossed. 

6 Likes
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@shopldeable Thanks so much for posting this. I have printed out just in case for future use.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@dellcovespicesI am so relieved that worked for you. I wish support would tell sellers this info…so frustrating. I do hope they get that resolved soon.   @PinkBirdCottage  You are very welcome!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

So now it says, "action required" where it originally send, "pending." The document is what they're asking for, so now I don't know what to do. The document shows the date I uploaded it and there's not much else I can do. This is super frustrating. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Have you tried contacting support by phone, and asking them to escalate the ticket? (I'm not sure how much that helps, but it might nudge?)

1 Like

Jump to solution

This is ridiculous. There is no reason for Etsy to not make the instructions more clear and there should not be glitches and considering the money they make from the shops they are requiring this of, they really should have some kind of expedited pipeline for help.  

You have a wonderful shop and you are exactly the kind of shop they should want to do everything in their power to help.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

I sympathize with everyone who is having these problems.

Etsy is forcing me to close my 12 year old 5 star Star Seller shop with 900 reviews TOMORROW because I moved countries 3 1/2 years ago.

At first they told me I just needed to keep an EU bank account so I could get paid.

Now they are telling me they cannot switch me from a German VAT # to a US Taxpayer ID #, that I will have to close my shop and open a new one.

I am in the process of doing this but really?  I have to lose my successful shop that took over a decade to build up? Why is it impossible to switch, people move countries all the time.  I had no such problems with ebay.

5 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@dellcovespices "Tech support says this is a know problem with the site, and that the company's finance and engineering departments are aware - but they're not sure what's happening. And they can't say what the problem is or when it will get fixed, only "please give us a few days to respond." Which isn't really helpful, given that Etsy support is also saying that they can't do anything to delay the forced shut-down/vacation mode."

This is unbelievable, and I'm sorry you guys are going through this. The Finance and Engineering Depts. are aware of a glitch, and yet you guys are uploading personal documents (because they are required of you).  Yet YOU and @ShopIdeable have figured out that you can load ONLY ONE DOCUMENT (not multiple docs).  No where was this explained to you.
- Why is there no clear instruction on this? (rhetorical question). The known glitch, including uploading just one document. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Looks like I'm open now for business. Again. But it looks like I lost my Star Seller badges because my shop was on a forced "vacation mode." I have to start over?? Ps. I also got two 5-star reviews while they shut my shop down. Seriously frustrating, but I am thankful everything got re-verified. I encourage anyone who is having similar issues reach out to the help center ASAP. Thanks to all who offered to help.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Looks like they restored by star seller badges.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm so glad your shop (and Star Seller badge) were restored! Phew!!

The thing that gets me is, if the company knows this is an issue - why don't they address it? Even if it's to use more clear language on the how-many-documents-to-upload screen? Because it sounds like a small edit on the text/explainer on that page would make a huge difference, right?

2 Likes
AlfiesCreative
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I'll be on forced vacation in about 9 hours. My government ID has been uploaded fine, but they're missing a phone number in one of the input fields. Sadly it's greyed out and I can't click it. Have been on chat wth Etsy support every night this week. They've submitted three urgent tickets to their tech dept. Nothing. Can't do anything.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@AlfiesCreative  Please disregard my reply if you’ve already tried this…Have you tried inputting it several different ways? I know they are very specific with format, spaces, etc. in the tax area with business name, etc. Maybe it’s the same with the phone number. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I am currently having a nightmare with this as well (similar but different).

It's a huge concern for me, that they are asking for / have our most sensitive financial information yet nothing works the way it should. 

Meanwhile our livelihoods are being affected and nobody cares.  Literally nobody.

I am also setting up on other platforms and working on my own website.  

After nearly 13 years here, I have lost all trust in this site.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.