Inappropriate video somehow replaced my listing item video

I updated a listing today including the video and I know the video was correct and not a vulgar one. When I recently clicked on the item and video it showed a completely different video that was inappropriate for my shop items. No, I do not have the inappropriate video on my phone. It's not my video. Has anyone else had this happen? I don't know if it's a hack on my iphone or a hack on Etsy. I upload the videos from my phone to my listings. I am not tech savvy so have no idea what happened. I tried to go through all the listings I worked on today to make sure the videos are correct. They seem okay but if anyone sees one out of character please let me know. The item that was affected was this one https://babyjewlz.etsy.com/listing/1398753392 . Guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
37 Replies

Re: Inappropriate video somehow replaced my listing item video

I see a video of a hand holding a heart necklace 

3 Likes

Yes, that is what it should be. The video that was there momentarily was of a girl on a bed in a bra and panties moving her hands all over herself. Not something I would ever post or even have on my phone. 

0 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

I also see a video of the necklace in the listing. Nothing sketchy.

0 Likes

I'm just worried that any of the videos I uploaded today could be compromised somehow. Not quite sure how many videos I replaced. Tried to check what I could remember but if I missed one it could be embarrassing for my shop and me.  

0 Likes

@babyjewlz: "I don't know if it's a hack on my iphone or a hack on Etsy." More likely it was a corrupted index or something like that (particularly since others see the correct video) which caused someone else's video to show on your listing.

1 Like

Well I did delete the inappropriate video off the listing from my computer as soon as I saw it. Then I reloaded my video to the listing from my phone again. I keep checking it and it seems fine. Just am super paranoid now and don't want to upload more videos tonight.   

0 Likes

Now one of my top listings on my shop's homepage is showing a different video than what should be there. It's not something I uploaded today either. One of the bee lockets is showing a bowl of gemstone rocks instead of my locket. What the heck is going on?

2 Likes

@babyjewlz Yes, I see the bowl of gemstones video too on your 3rd featured item - bee locket, flowervine necklace...
I suggest contacting Etsy thru Help > Contact us > Selling on Etsy. Just keep navigating thru until you see the I still need help button.
You should be able to get Live chat, at least.

7 Likes

Wow first I have heard of this and it’s very weird and scary. I do A LOT of videos but rarely go back to check them!

4 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Could be a cache problem. Do you know how to clear your browser cache? Or are you using the app?

2 Likes

@Amaradorn I am just an interested observer but when I saw your message I thought I would give it a shot.
I cleared Cache, Cookies & Browsing History, shut down Chrome then restarted my laptop.

But I still see the bowl of gemstones video on @babyjewlz  3rd featured item, top row of shop home - bee locket, flowervine necklace...

I don't know what is going on.

3 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@DaysofYoreTreasures thanks for your testing and feedback.

I didn't know if it would work, but that's what they usually suggest to try first.

1 Like
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

There was a similar forum post not too long ago about listing videos not being correct. Etsy said they would get to it based on the impact on the community. Which means they won't until enough people have problems. You need to get ahold of Etsy and let them know you are having issues.

10 Likes

@DragonflyDreams1 
I found this thread
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Wrong-video-plays-on-my-Ad-listing/m-p/144813224

The detail from the OP about their Etsy Support response is on page 1.

I agree that any seller seeing wrong videos on their listings should contact Etsy Support immediately.

Edited to add - I think it's important to note that the seller in the old thread saw one of their own videos in a different listing, but in this thread the seller has seen videos in two different listings that were not their own. It is certainly disturbing.

2 Likes

Did you upload a video of your own or an existing video?  Because for an existing video the link could be switched to some other video at some point...

0 Likes

I'm the OP about the wrong videos playing. My issue was -- I create a new listing (duplicate), remove the old video, and upload the new one. In some cases, that change never stuck, and I saw incorrect videos playing when I search for my own items. 

Sometimes, I see the videos are correct when tested on an incognito browser, BUT in the listing itself (editing mode), an incorrect video shows. 

There are definitely issues with Etsy videos ... (among other things!)

Etsy has yet to email me with any updates on the issue. 

1 Like

Thank you for all the responses. I contacted Etsy support and engineering is looking into the issue. They just gave me a generic response and who knows if the issue will get fixed anytime soon. If you see the inappropriate video please let me know, so I can at least try to delete the videos from those listings. I'm not worried about the bowl of gemstones. At least it's not vulgar like the other video was. I put a disclaimer on the homepage about the video issues. Not sure what else to do. I don't have time to go through 637 listings with videos to check them all.

1 Like

@babyjewlz 

I have not had this happen on Etsy but I did have it happen on eBay years and years ago. In my case it was the main photo, not a video. I was trying to list an item featuring a Beagle dog. The photo that kept  appearing was closet full of people's clothes!  I tried everything that you have and what finally worked was I had to go in and change the file name on the photo. I left out the word "beagle" and instead used something like "bdog" (don't remember exactly). Then it worked fine.

At least Etsy is "working" on it!

1 Like

So scary! It sounds like someone has access to your account and is changing your videos. I would change my password asap. 

1 Like

Well, this sounds like a caching issue with ETSY and not individual users.  This CAN happen on websites. I have dealt with a ton of websites over the years, and we would have to go in and do specific things to fix these exact types of issues.  You would think that with how big of a website Etsy is that somebody would know how to fix the issue, but it's been explained to me like this: Big companies pay for a programmer (usually as cheap as possible and from a foreign country) to create the website. As they keep needing adjustments or addons, they will often times change to a different programmer for various reasons and that person most likely does not use the same language. So, fixing or changing an issue that conflicted with the original programming can sometimes take months because they might have to recreate the original programming area and then test it elsewhere before implementing.  

So, whether it's a caching issue or just a simple programming error that causes the wrong videos to show up, it is not something that can always be fixed by us shop owners.  I do know that having the same name on your file as someone else can cause issues, but Etsy supposedly renames all of those photos and videos even if you label them yourself with specific words. 

You said "Well I did delete the inappropriate video off the listing from my computer as soon as I saw it. Then I reloaded my video to the listing from my phone again." - which tells me that it was uploaded to the listing in some way. This usually happens one of two ways. The first is that you somehow uploaded it yourself. This could be possible if your phone has been compromised in some way. Some apps have been able to take over parts of the phone with images and videos. It literally could be a simple app that asked for permission, and you granted it without thinking much of it because you figured it wouldn't really need access to those things. The second would be that it was attached by Etsy due to a programming "glitch" when you uploaded your own video. 

I don't know if you will ever really know what is causing it, but you could try to run an app on your phone to check for malicious software or intrusive apps. Deleting apps do not usually fix problems once they occur.  If it is something that was put on your phone, then you will need a software program to remove it. The fact that it is not happening to all of the videos, though, makes me think that it's an Etsy issue.... BUT... there is always the possibility that it is something on your phone.

7 Likes

@SnappyBaby 

To me, this makes perfect sense and I do not even know anything about programming.

2 Likes

@SnappyBaby 

I do know that having the same name on your file as someone else can cause issues, but Etsy supposedly renames all of those photos and videos even if you label them yourself with specific words. 

I'm not sure Etsy is renaming the videos the way it does with photos. I just checked a few in different shops by using right click and Save video as. The file names had different formats in each shop.

0 Likes

@DaysofYoreTreasures 

You are probably right. They took forever to start renaming the pictures. So, it would theoretically be possible to have the exact same name if you have the same phone as someone else. I couldn't find a way to rename the picture on my phone, so if two phones assign the same series of numbers or letters then it could happen! I would think the chances should be low, but who knows. Etsy should still be dealing with it in some way! 

1 Like

@SnappyBaby Thank you!
Here's hoping they get it sorted.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.