I miss the forums being under "Community" on the Dashboard.

I know, "rose by any other name" and all. But sometimes there really is something in a name.

I could understand "Help" and "Forums" being under the same umbrella, but when "Help" becomes the umbrella, it just makes it official that the only reason Etsy thinks these forums should exist is to reduce their own cost for providing support to fee-paying customers. I know that's the direction internet-based businesses have been going for a long time, but it's still kind of disheartening. I've always seen it as something more than that, as Etsy sellers having something in common that gave us a reason to want to spend time exchanging ideas with each other.

I know that sounds incredibly naive. I mean, some of us are actually head-to-head competitors with each other. But we're still all in this together, somehow.

Oh, well. What's in a name? If some of us want to be "community," we can be community. After all, that's still in the url for the forums. And it's still one of the tags for forum threads!

Trish O'Connor
Owner, Epiclesis Consulting LLC

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
47 Likes
32 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: I miss the forums being under "Community" on the Dashboard.

Hi Trish! You know what's funny; I posted the following in another Thread about this (the Forums and Teams).  I never knew you could get to the Forums through the Dashboard:) I would always go via the Home Page, at the bottom, dark blue background w/white text; under "Help" > Forums.

4 Likes

@ChillwolfArt 

I hardly ever scroll down the home page that far to notice that one, so I forget it's even there! 

Many roads to one community.

Trish O'Connor

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@EpiclesisConsulting  I have to correct what I said above.  At the bottom of the Home Page, (blue background, white text),  "Forums" is under "Sell" (earlier above, I said it's under "Help", which is incorrect). Duh.

There...all better now. I think I had too much Halloween candy:)

1 Like

@ChillwolfArt That’s how I do it too. I had no idea there was any other way to get to the forums... ; )

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

My gosh, slap me silly. I didn't even realize the Dashboard changed.  Left Column used to have Community & Help > Contact.
Now I see that's gone, replaced by Help > Seller Forums. Contact is also there. I had no idea it changed.

5 Likes

@ChillwolfArt 

I think it only changed in the last day or two.

If it's been longer and I just didn't notice, please, don't slap me silly. If I didn't notice, then I'm silly enough already.

Trish O'Connor

3 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

I thought it was just me. My iPad. signs me out a lot so when I am on my dashboard was nice to come here, if I backtracked I would have to sign in again, thought maybe I did something to disable it.

1 Like
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

I thought it looked different! 

1 Like

Ah, but what's in name? Calling it Help suggests sellers with questions will get answers and diverts them from contacting CS. 

Etsy should pay us for all this "help" we're giving. Have said this from the beginning, the forum is free support for Etsy. CS responses even advise sellers to check the forum for answers and Etsy doesn't give a heck if the advice is wrong or subjective. 

11 Likes

"Calling it Help suggests sellers with questions will get answers and diverts them from contacting CS."

And definitely explains why so many new posts here are from sellers who actually think they are posting a message to an etsy employee / customer service. It's sad.

3 Likes
FeltFunky
Conversation Maker

@Falls Avenue Vintage. Exactly my thoughts - it's now official, if you want any help, don't bother asking us!

2 Likes
TheArtfulTwig
Conversation Maker

I lost it, but I found it. 

What I didn't appreciate was it going from, "Community," to "Seller Forum."   Under "Help."  Small detail, but telling.  

I agree with @EpiclesisConsulting /Trish and @FallsAveVintage , that Etsy is pointing the high volume of new sellers to the forums for "help," which reduces Etsy's overall cost of support.  Not cool, IMHO.  

14 Likes

This is the way internet based companies seem to be heading, cut off direct customer interaction and contact and not seem to show much interest to their own shocking reviews. The sad part is it affects all of us and more so those shareholders they prioritise as the shares continue in decline.

Customers are and should be their number 1 priority without them they are nothing and it will continue to cost them.

6 Likes

This is the way internet based companies seem to be heading, cut off direct customer interaction and contact and not seem to show much interest to their own shocking reviews. The sad part is it affects all of us and more so those shareholders they prioritise as the shares continue in decline.

Customers are and should be their number 1 priority without them they are nothing and it will continue to cost them.

1 Like

Agree. We're Etsy's customers...enough said.

What blows me away is the buyers these days. I'm an 80s chick and when we bought something, we expected it to last more than a few washings/uses. And we paid for it too. I can find shoes for less now than what they cost back then.

Funny, with all those supposed millennial tree huggers out there, they sure love their cheap and disposable goods. Sites like Wish and Shein get great reviews and for the life of me, can't figure out why. 

No kidding, I shopped on Wish once about 6yrs ago. Ordered a pair of shoes and got 2 left. Got my money back within 2mins of contacting CS and sending a photo but never again.

6 Likes

@FallsAveVintage 

I was remembering a pair of shoes that my dad bought me in the late 70's. Pair of leather boots, actually. Cost: $150.

We were not wealthy. But dad always said to spend up on good shoes. As long as they were made in the USA, he was good with it.

didn't like imports, my dad.

didn't even like 'ethnic food'...LOL...give him some southern fried anything though.

but I also noticed the mental whiplash with everyone buying the cheapo goods from far far away...that don't last...that are just clogging the world with waste. Why people do that, given the entire focus on ecofriendly, reduce/reuse/recycle mantra?

I don't get it. Looks like the right hand doesn't understand what the left hand is doing.

#notinmyhouse

3 Likes

@CoquetteBath I think it’s because Americans no longer take pride in manufacturing. Not all of us, of course, but as a general country/population. There are some great things made here, but not much for everyday goods anymore. We have a made in the USA vacuum and it’s the worst piece of junk, I think. The idiot designer did a curved hose head on it, which reduces the suction significantly (science) and makes the hose nearly useless. And you have to vacuum spots over and over to pick everything up. I feel like the older vacuum, which still works too, is better made. If Americans cared when they made things to make quality things, then I’d be fine buying USA made, but that just seems so hard to come by.

1 Like

times change but the basics never do, it is a shame that those in charge have become complacent and forgotten the basic rules regarding business and sales

4 Likes

It certainly downplays community.  I was looking for my team page and eventually found forums under Help, but no mention of teams.  It is very difficult to get any traction on Etsy without them.  Brave new world. 

1 Like

@EpiclesisConsulting 

Hi Trish

Long time no see!  I do hope that you are well.

I am currently on vacation and suddenly found that there was no community button anymore, so I went into the Help section and found forums.  Why on earth is Etsy bothering to change something which doesn't need changing when there are so many other things, such as reinstating "other" from the delivery options, that do need attention?

9 Likes

Etsy epitomizes the phrase, "Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".

So many pointless little projects get done here while issues that have actual effect, such as the horrible elimination of "other", refunding tracked orders marked delivered, broken search, etc., are ignored. It's quite mind-boggling.

6 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

@EpiclesisConsulting Well said, Trish!

2 Likes

I thought it was just me...that I'd missed it before! Yeah, seems odd, because the forums should be designated community spaces, rather than help. Help sounds like Etsy help.

JMO.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.