I just had a neighbor purchase an item from me ~ I don't want to ship it so how do I handle a hand d

• I just had my neighbor two doors away from me purchase an item from my shop ~ How do I hand deliver it to her and remove the shipping  ? The sellers handbook says Etsy isn't set up for that and I  need to offer hand delivery in my shipping Profile and have her contact me before she orders so I can remove the shipping ~ It says this can effect my Star Seller status and I've worked so hard to maintain that ~ Help please !
Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: I just had a neighbor purchase an item from me ~ I don't want to ship it so how do I handle a ha

You must mail with tracking for it to count 

0 Likes

Re: I just had a neighbor purchase an item from me ~ I don't want to ship it so how do I handle a ha

It made sense when you could just choose "other" as shipping method. I wouldn't want to risk the rare but possible chance of it being lost in the mail. 

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

I don't see the SS badge in your shop, only the Reviews icon. To get the Star Seller shipping badge, you need to ship all your packages with tracking. 

This is from Etsy:

"What if I offer local pick-up or delivery for my items?

At this time, orders that don't have tracking because they are delivered or picked up in person will be considered shipped without tracking, and will not meet the Star Seller criteria for shipping."

More here: How to Become a Star Seller 

2 Likes

I think people worry about the star selling badge too much. In the UK tracking is not automatic so I only send items tracked if they're going abroad or are over the value that needs extra insurance. 

Take it along the road and hand it to her and give the postage back 

6 Likes
bobsiDi
Crafty Poster

@WoolyLily Yes why do people worry about the star seller badge? I don't as within Australia my items are not tracked, only for overseas postings. Just refund the postage.

1 Like

To mark hand delivered item as complete:

• Go to Shop Manager>Orders and Shipping.
  • Click the update progress icon to the right of the order (circle & check mark icon).
  • Click Complete Order.
  • On the page that appears, look for the tracking number field. Under it is a line that says "This order doesn't have tracking". Click that and follow the prompts to select Local pickup or delivery.

If you don't want this to affect your star seller metrics negatively, disregard the above and send the customer a thank you card or receipt using Etsy letter mail option (change the dimensions of your package to a letter size - the depth must be .25 inches or less for it to show up). Send that. It costs the same as a stamp. It does not have tracking as such, but Etsy accepts it for star seller. Make sure to send it by the ship by date.

7 Likes

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

This is the SSP "workaround" for US based Sellers.

2 Likes

seriously, I would not have my neighbors buying from me on Etsy. Or my website.

Unless, of course, they simply live close and don't know me. In that case, I ship.

If it is someone I know well, they know they can come & shop whenever...at my house. Very few get that ability but those who can...do.

your call how to handle. But you can't mark shipped without tracking & have it count.

2 Likes

@sirenjewels: "... you can just make up a tracking number ..." Not good advice - not only is it deceptive and would be frowned upon by Etsy, but the Star Seller metric is for verifiable tracking.

1 Like

@sirenjewels I don't know why etsy doesn't have a "pick up button" ?

Because there is no proof that the buyer has actually received his order. Unless there is another button for buyers to confirm receipt.

However, this system is very likely to be misused for shilling and the like. Unfortunately, there are dishonest sellers who damage Etsy's reputation and ultimately put honest sellers at a disadvantage.

For example, why did Etsy change the fee structure a few years ago to charge transaction fees on the total amount (item value + shipping costs) when previously it was only the item value? Because some sellers thought they could charge a low item price and high shipping costs to avoid fees.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.