How to contact people who favorite your items?

Jump to solution
Spoiler
Previously I could contact people who favorite one or more of my items. I would like to contact them with extra info about the item and shipping. But its not longer possible? 
Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Re: How to contact people who favorite your items?

Jump to solution

Unsolicited marketing is illegal in the EU and UK, with major fines possible. Marketing messages are only allowed if there has been a positive opt-in.

The relevant EU law is the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Info: https://gdpr.eu/

GDPR also makes it a legal requirement for anybody selling to the EU or UK to have a Privacy Policy stating the data they collect, the legal basis for their collection of that data, how long it will be retained, how to see the data being held, how to get it erased and where to complain, etc.

There are also other laws that apply to selling to the EU and UK, particularly teh distance selling laws requiring sellers to accept returns for any reason.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

View solution in original post

6 Likes
10 Replies

Jump to solution

Don't!!!

9 Likes
HotOffHerHook
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

No - they call that spamming.  I'd set up the "Favoriting" coupon you can in the marketing section where 
Etsy sends to whomever favorites a coupon - 10% is what I have set up.

5 Likes
swatchoclock
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy considers reaching out to other users without a proper reason as spam and it goes against there terms of service and you could get your account or shop suspended for it. When I favorite an item, I do not want that shop owner to contact me, seriously, it would stop me from favoriting anything.... Just put yourself in your customers shoes. If you simply favorited something to remember it, because you found it interesting and you might (or might not) want to look back at it at a later time, would you like to be contacted by a complete stranger about it?

8 Likes

Jump to solution

Don't do this under any circumstances. It's spam, illegal in some countries, and you may get muted by Etsy. It's also intensely annoying.

Set up a coupon for Etsy to send to those potential buyers who have opted in to receiving offers by email.  Just because someone favourites one of your items doesn't not mean they have any intention of buying.

4 Likes
Smudgekitty
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

As has been said, that's spam, not allowed on Etsy and illegal in some countries. 

As @HotOffHerHook mentions, you can set up a code to be automatically sent by Etsy.  Etsy will only send to those who have *opted in* to receive them. 

Even if spam were allowed, I'd be majorly miffed if sellers contacted me just because I favourited an item.  It'd be like a sales person following me through the store and eagerly commenting on every item I picked up.  I'd probably leave the store without buying.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Don't do that! It's just annoying. 

2 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Unsolicited marketing is illegal in the EU and UK, with major fines possible. Marketing messages are only allowed if there has been a positive opt-in.

The relevant EU law is the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Info: https://gdpr.eu/

GDPR also makes it a legal requirement for anybody selling to the EU or UK to have a Privacy Policy stating the data they collect, the legal basis for their collection of that data, how long it will be retained, how to see the data being held, how to get it erased and where to complain, etc.

There are also other laws that apply to selling to the EU and UK, particularly teh distance selling laws requiring sellers to accept returns for any reason.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

6 Likes

Jump to solution

Ironically, you can sign up for Etsy's spamming to customers who favourite your items!  

Go to your Shop Manager - Marketing - Sales and Coupons - then click in the box for favourite items, or abandoned cart, or thank you, or all three and Etsy will send a notification along with the discount you offer. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

The coupons are only sent to people who opted to get mail from Etsy. If they opted out then Etsy can not send them a coupon. You can have a mailing list the customer can sign up for. Those are the only ones you can contact. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Oh yes, I forgot about that!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.