FunkyJuliette
Inspiration Seeker

Help! Should I cancel this order?

I sold a vintage mug, stated there was no cracks or chips. But as I was getting it ready to ship, I noticed there is crazing.. I emailed buyer to see if they wanted me to cancel but have not heard back. Should I go ahead and cancel it anyways? Today is the last day to ship it out so I’m not sure what to do.. thanks! 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Help! Should I cancel this order?

Extend the shipping date.

4 Likes

Send it, then if they have any complaints and log in they will see your message about the crazing.  If they are unhappy you could offer a discount or have them return it to you.   

1 Like
After9Marbles
Conversation Maker

I would cancel and relist with the updated information and let the customer know the new listing link. If they still want to purchase the issues with the product will be in the listing when purchased. However I think etsy counts cancel and refunds against us somehow now so keep that in mind. 

7 Likes

I would cancel the ordering send her email again why you have to cancel it . You may suggest some discount  if she still wants it. Think as the customer view and I  believe you know what is right thing to do. 

2 Likes

This may be true with upcoming changes.  Regardless a cancellations shouldn't impact a shop unless they are done a lot because they can be part of providing good customer service.   This would be the same as getting a rare poor review.  That one wouldn't impact a shops status if there was already an abundance of positive reviews.

0 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

I would think the customer would appreciate your honesty and courtesy if you cancelled and refunded, and then of course let her know right away why you did so. Then if she isn't bothered by the flaw she can repurchase.  Just my opinion! 

4 Likes

I agree with the others about being honest.  Take a close up of the blemish and send it to them offering a discount. If you send it and its damaged you will have to pay for it to be sent back and risk a 1 star review. Extend the shipping if you can, but if its due today you might not be able to.  Cancel the order, email the person explaining why with the attached photo and apologize but also expressing gratitude that you found the error, and not them.  Instead of it being a black mark on your store, you can promote that you have a 3 step quality control before you send out items and this item did not pass the final inspection. It shows your integrity and quality control. You may lose this sale but it could impress them to place further orders. Just a thought

8 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

You can extend the ship date, as long as it has not passed. So you can still extend it on the last day to ship.

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

@FunkyJuliette  Before cancelling the sale, have you tried scrubbing the inside of the mug with a baking soda paste?  It quickly takes marks out of mugs and other dishware and makes them look brand new again.  Give a try ... good luck!

3 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

That is very different thn the issue the OP has mentioned.

Crazing is cracks in the glaze (not cracks in the pottery), and cannot be fixed.

2 Likes

Definitely extend the ship date a few days first and put waiting on buyer in the reason box - buyer will get that notification and hopefully check their messages. You can't send it w/o their knowing. To some, crazing is a fatal flaw. Offer them a discount first and take it from there. For me, it's 50% off at least, crazing is ugly. If still no answer, then fully cancel with apologies.

0 Likes

Same thing happened (almost) I sent like 3 e mails to them. Then all the sudden a month later, I get negative feedback and said they never got item! I thought when you canceled a sale and refunded, they were not able to leave feedback. But they did.

0 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

It's most likely that you refunded the sale, but did not cancel it. It's two separate actions, however Etsy does have a shortcut that does BOTH at the same time....while using a web browser (not the app), choose CANCEL, and a full refund will be given at the same time, once you complete the action.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.