TopFinials
Inspiration Seeker

Handmade items being removed in error, no help from support

I am at wits' end. I'm in "final policy violation warning" status, I've been stripped of Star Seller/Badges. I've started multiple tickets, had 3 calls with customer service. The latest told me that I couldn't get any help because my account has "final policy violation warning" status. I have that status because my handmade listings are repeatedly being misidentified by Etsy's system. She said I could reach out again in 90 days. I've not heard this one before. It really shouldn't be so difficult for sellers to get help. I don't see any way forward.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
12 Replies
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

Re: Handmade items being removed in error, no help from support

It is possible that Etsy thinks your handmade items are actually mass produced and you're buying them from places such as Ali Express. Do a reverse image search on as many as you can and see if they pop up anywhere or register with one of the companies that do an automatic sweep for you.

4 Likes

A reverse image search shows your items - same photos - being sold on Chairish by you as well. Etsy's image bots probably thinks you are a reseller. I am not sure how else to help -  hopefully someone here can offer solid advice for you. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Maybe add video to your shop's about page showing you making these, to start. But you will definitely somehow have to provide proof to etsy that you are making these. : /

2 Likes
TopFinials
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, I also sell my finials on Chairish. Because of this issue, I just made a site through Shopify, and will be re-opening on Amazon Handmade. The big issue is that I can't get into contact with anyone from Etsy who has the ability or willingness to review the takedowns or accept my proof. I appreciate the advice & will think about adding a video to my about section. 

4 Likes

@TopFinials   starting multiple tickets isn't a good thing to do as eventually Etsy will not respond.  If you have one response back, use that ticket to correspond with Etsy.  If Etsy gave your previous notices of violations did you talk with them then?  If not remind them that you have not received any previous notifications of infringement.

0 Likes

This is really insanity when we think about it.  The rules are not clear, the process to appeal them not clear, the amount of hoping and guessing shop owners are supposed to do is actually nuts.  @JDTotesandDolls saying that opening multiple tickets is bad because etsy will stop responding makes me feel like we're saying "doing a rain dance hoping on the same foot will bring hail not rain" 

Not that I blame you for offering this helpful advice, it's just that in my hyper caffeinated state at the moment I can't help but find the hoops they put us through to take money from us absolutely ridiculous.

2 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

I'm in the same boat- my handmade listing was taken down in error because my photos were stolen by an AliExpress seller. I've been selling my handmade jewelry here for 12 years and am very familiar with the policies- I am 100% compliant. My Star Seller badge was stripped for this one and only erroneous "violation" and I cannot get any help. It's been 15 days since I opened my ticket and sent detailed photos showing my studio/making process. I've done dozens of calls with their help center employees, all of whom claim to have escalated/marked my ticket as urgent, but so far it's impossible to get eyes on the problem. So upsetting!

3 Likes

@Chrysalism: Have you sent Etsy copies of the DMCA take downs you filed with AliExpress and their response?

0 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply I am not able to file an official DMCA takedown on the item because it's no longer being sold on Aliexpress- the listing was deactivated and the seller's shop is shut down (but it still shows in google search for some reason). I did send Etsy screenshots of a message I sent to the shop owner in October last year demanding that they remove the infringing images from their listing. I also sent 20+ photos of every step of my making process for the item, my studio/stock, and my photography area including distinctive antlers/coins that are in the stolen photos. Each photo has a handwritten note with my shop name, help ticket #, and the date. It's very thorough. If I could get someone to take a look at my help ticket it's very obvious I make these necklaces, but I can't seem to get eyes on it. Every person at the call center says something different- I haven't received the same answer twice, but they are all equally unhelpful. 

3 Likes

@Chrysalism j'adore votre boutique et vos bijoux. Ils sont tellement originaux.

J'espère que vos problèmes vont se résoudre rapidement

1 Like

I don't know how you don't through your computer out the window with this level of frustration.  Looking at your shop and doing a quick calculation of the fees you've paid etsy in the last 12 years, and then you can't even get help for a legitimate mistake they made....

3 Likes
Hertfordweaver
Conversation Maker

Maybe you need to take a different set of pictures for each different platform.

3 Likes
TopFinials
Inspiration Seeker

I have approximately 750 unique listings. By my calculations, re-taking photos and updating my listings would take several months of full-time effort; time during which I wouldn't be growing my business. I don't think I should have to "do more work" and make that sacrifice as a seller to provide a fix for an Etsy-side problem.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.