Germany not on my list of ship too's but Etsy accepted a German order

Jump to solution

HI, this might have been covered before but due to the German Packaging Requirements, I no longer ship to Germany and removed it from my shipping profile.  However, I have received a German order that I have had to cancel and refund.  I though removing a place from your profile ensured that they could not buy - am I wrong?

Thank you

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Germany not on my list of ship too's but Etsy accepted a German order

Jump to solution

@FatiguedFrenchFinds it's actually 28 days, 14 days to request the return and the 14 days to return the item. But Etsy doesn't have a 28 day option which is why we here on this platform need to offer 30 days as the only other options of 7, 14, 21 days aren't meeting the EU standards. 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm#shortcut-2

"In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

You must send the goods back within 14 days of informing the trader."

Those two equate to 28 days. Etsy only offers the "return within" option, not the request a refund option like we used to have. So, 30 days it is for your accepted returns. Currently you have no returns policy, so I would quickly adjust that as this leaves you vulnerable. Under the new purchase protection by Etsy, a customer opening a case might trigger a bot closing in favor of the buyer and you could be out of your money and item. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies

Jump to solution

Have you got EU listed? 

1 Like

Jump to solution

No I removed the EU and listed EU countries without Germany but it still allow it.  Probably because as someone else said I had The Rest of the World down for outside of Europe.  What a bind.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

You probably didn’t remove EU from your shipping profiles, you need to take that (and everywhere else) out and then add each country in the whole world you do ship to back. One, by one. just checked, you do ship to Germany. It’s a real hassle this way but sadly this is the only way Etsy let’s us do it. 

PS make sure to adjust your returns to 30 days to make them EU legal. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks but I had removed the EU and listed them separately without Germany but I guess as I said before, the fact I had The rest of the world listed meant Germany was included.  This is a hassle.  Under current rules it is 14 days for returns: 

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

If you bought a product or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and without a justification.

Thank you

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@FatiguedFrenchFinds 

EU law says the customer has 14 days for right of withdraw, that's to notify you they want to return, and ANOTHER 14 days before they have to return it

Etsy doesn't have 2 fields any more, one for request, and one for return, they only have the latest return date, so that would be 14+14=28, as you can't choose 28, you have to have 30 days to return

2 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I looked at one of your items (the Monstrance). I was able to change my shipping destination to Germany from the dropdown list. I also noticed that there are hundreds of other countries on the list. So I suspect that you have 'Everywhere Else' included on your shipping profile. This will not exclude Germany (unfortunately).

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks yes, you are right, that is exactly what I have.  So I will have to go through them all and list individual countries.  Thank you.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Germany isn’t the only country with that law. From what I have read almost all of the EU have the same thing so you would need to exclude EU totally. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

It is only Germany at the moment but it may change.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
2 Likes

Jump to solution

You have Germany listed on least one item.

You need to remove all countries you don't want to ship to and add the ones you want to ship to individually.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks yes!!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@FatiguedFrenchFinds it's actually 28 days, 14 days to request the return and the 14 days to return the item. But Etsy doesn't have a 28 day option which is why we here on this platform need to offer 30 days as the only other options of 7, 14, 21 days aren't meeting the EU standards. 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm#shortcut-2

"In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind.

You must send the goods back within 14 days of informing the trader."

Those two equate to 28 days. Etsy only offers the "return within" option, not the request a refund option like we used to have. So, 30 days it is for your accepted returns. Currently you have no returns policy, so I would quickly adjust that as this leaves you vulnerable. Under the new purchase protection by Etsy, a customer opening a case might trigger a bot closing in favor of the buyer and you could be out of your money and item. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks for the heads up on the return policy.  I did have a fairly comprehensive one and then accepted Etsy's simpler version. So god knows what happened to that?  I had no idea that I was being left exposed like that - thank you.  I have also changed to 30 days, so thanks for that too!!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.