terriblyTurntech
Inspiration Seeker

Forced vacation

Hello! I started my etsy account yesterday and I shipped out my first order today but I noticed immedetly after my first order came in etsy put my account on vacation mode with no way to turn this off I dont really know whats going on I dont have any sort of outstanding balance and my order was just shipped whats going on and how do I fix it?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Re: Forced vacation

More than likely Etsy put your shop on vacay while they investigate if you have licenses for selling IP protected merchandise. 

It's possible the rights holder asked them to check on your shop.

Fan art is ok if you make it for yourself or to give away, but as soon as you sell it you are breaking the law.

Make sure you have the licenses handy if anyone contacts you about this.

4 Likes

Etsy does not allow anime that is trademarked. Better to come up with your own ideas rather than using someone else's creation.

0 Likes
terriblyTurntech
Inspiration Seeker

I am a little confused considering the abundance of fanart and official art sold on etsy is there a particular reason others are able to sell it and I am not?

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

@terriblyTurntech their day will come and poof! the shop is gone. Just waiting to be caught by the original artist, trademark holder, etsy bot... so many different ways. read the link I gave below.

3 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@terriblyTurntech it depends if you get caught or reported. I personally wouldn't want to risk losing all my hard work and effort.

IP violations may start with deactivated listings but it can end with shop closure and possibly being sued by the IP owner. 

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Selling fan art is against the law.

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

read all of this and reboot your shop with your own original ideas

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/the-ultimate-guide-to-intellectual/22398703823

4 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@terriblyTurntech  Lots of people break the law. Some get caught, some do not. 

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Etsy most likely need to verify your ID. They also appear to be vetting shops now when they make their first sale. They can take a few days to get back to you. Use this time learn about Intellectual Property (as suggested) and make sure your listings are ready if/when your shop is reinstated. If they feel your shop violates seller policies they will suspend it, often without explanation. 

Seller policies are here: http://www.etsy.com/uk/legal/sellers/

3 Likes

And..... using others  copyright/trademark to make money is considered counterfeit which is also against the law and so is shipping them. If you do not have valid licensing from the Intellectual Property owners any buyer that files a case against you will have their money refunded and will get to keep your product too. Is that and the possibility of being sued by IP owners something you are willing to deal with and can afford as it is very expensive to defend yourself in court especially against the big money on the IP side?? Just because others are doing it does not make it right or legal and the sellers will hopefully get caught sooner or later.

2 Likes

You might want to read the info on the help pages:
https://www.etsy.com/legal/prohibited

Especially this part under #5:
Counterfeit or unauthorized items are prohibited on Etsy. We consider counterfeit or unauthorized goods to be items that imitate an authentic good, particularly by using a brand’s name, logo, or protected design without the brand owner’s consent. Additionally, we may consider up-cycled or repurposed items, even if using authentic materials, to be counterfeit if they are making use of a brand's name, logo, or protected design without their permission. Examples of prohibited counterfeit or unauthorized goods include replica luxury and non-luxury items like bags and branded apparel.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.