MiniPixelGallary
Inspiration Seeker

First day using Etsy and I get scammed?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

you probably seen 100s of these messages but I just wanted to make sure If I really got scammed.

It all started after posting my first few listings. I got about 4 private messages with the subjects "Support" "Technical Agent" "Etsy support" "Verification"

Each message notified me that I would receive an email to verify my store. True be said I did receive a few links in my email which took me to a page along these lines[This content has been removed by Moderation. Do not share unsafe links in the Forums.] It seemed legit given the web address name and the Etsy logo next to the web address.

I started speaking to lady called Adora. In order to verify my account I needed to run a transaction to prove my bank account is real. Silly me I accepted. She then said, to get a refund and full verification on my store I would have to run another transaction. Thats when the alarm bells started going!

I decided to end the chat upon being told that my store would be suspended. The transaction was just over £100 to a name called Hellcase.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kind regards

Neil

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
9 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: First day using Etsy and I get scammed?

Jump to solution
  1. Contact your bank, report the fraud.  You are likely covered under fraud protection
  2. Cancel the card connected to your account and use a different one.
  3. If you entered any passwords, change your passwords

You were a victim of fraud, yes.  The Scammers and thieves have been hitting Etsy hard.  Tons of new shops open on Etsy every day, which gives the fraudsters a huge pool of naive victims.

To protect yourself, read these:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

Etsy has made in-roads in trying to educate and protect sellers, but they are far from perfect.  However, just knowing about the "From Etsy" section or reading the warnings would protect most new sellers.  

View solution in original post

14 Likes
54 Replies
WildMoonThrift
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I just started my shop too and was getting emails like this.

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@WildMoonThrift  Read the 3 threads I posted below. 

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution
  1. Contact your bank, report the fraud.  You are likely covered under fraud protection
  2. Cancel the card connected to your account and use a different one.
  3. If you entered any passwords, change your passwords

You were a victim of fraud, yes.  The Scammers and thieves have been hitting Etsy hard.  Tons of new shops open on Etsy every day, which gives the fraudsters a huge pool of naive victims.

To protect yourself, read these:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

Etsy has made in-roads in trying to educate and protect sellers, but they are far from perfect.  However, just knowing about the "From Etsy" section or reading the warnings would protect most new sellers.  

14 Likes
MiniPixelGallary
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you this was helpful

1 Like

Jump to solution

Just got a message  from Adora.

scam

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yes those are scams. contact your bank immediately.

2 Likes
Spellbinderie
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Yes it's a scam.
Messages from Etsy will only be in the folder marked FROM ETSY.  Unfortunately this folder is only found on the desktop so if you're using the app to run your shop, you'll need to use a desktop anytime you "think" you have a message from Etsy.

Please edit your post to remove the scam link.

6 Likes

Jump to solution

in your messages on etsy, there is a big orange warning that says if the message is not ALSO in the "from etsy" folder, it's not from etsy

don't click in links from your e-mail, EVER

remove the link to the scamming site, now

cancel your card, and ask them if you are covered for fraud protection - dispute the charge if you can

1 Like

Jump to solution

These are scams. Call your bank immediately for a fraud alert!!!

REAL messages from etsy will be in the "from etsy" section of your inbox. You have to check on a computer or through a browser—not on the app.

Mark the messages as spam.

When/if etsy needs to verify your ID or financial information, there will be a notice ON YOUR DASHBOARD. That is how etsy communicates (safely).

1 Like

Jump to solution

But Etsy needs to stop these emails its ridiculous

6 Likes
KidsBookGallery
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I too got a few of those messages. I did not indulge but that's only because I have been scammed before. Not on Etsy but other times in life. I reached out to Etsy support instead to ask them if they in fact sent me that message and they did not. They stated that if it were them, the message would come from the "Etsy" tab within the messages. Sorry this happened to you. There appears to be many prowlers preying on us store owners, especially us new ones. Wishing you the best from here on out!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@MiniPixelGallary: "I got about 4 private messages ..." Were the messages in the "From Etsy" section on your Messages page when checking messages using a browser? If not, they are a SCAM. https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

You need to follow the advice above about going into full self-protection mode.

1 Like
MiniPixelGallary
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you everyone. The messages were sitting in my inbox and not from Etsy. Iv'e learnt a lot on my first day! I've reported everything to the bank.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

I fell for the scam yesterday. My credit card was charged over $250.00. I'm devastated. Never knew Etsy was full of scammers.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@ElectricBrainshop 

the world is full of scammers

People impersonate etsy

people impersonate electricity companies

people impersonate paypal,

etc....

same rule of thumb for them all

don't click on links,
don't go offsite to a different e-mail address
don't give your credit card number to an unknown site/e-mail
don't authorise payments of hundreds of dollars to accounts you don't know

10 Likes

Jump to solution

Sorry that you were scammed @MiniPixelGallary . It sounds like pretty much everyone opening a new shop is being targeted by scammers these days - established shops too, but the new shops are probably more likely to bite since they don't know what is normal....  I hope there is a special place in hell for all of these awful con artist predators. 

6 Likes
CAMILAALIZEE
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This is happening to me right now

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CAMILAALIZEE  I'm very sorry this is happening to you. There has been an infestation of these thugs here unfortunately, targeting new Sellers as well as seasoned ones. Oftentimes, they appear shortly after someone lists their first item/s. These thieves are using "Verification" as one of their scams, posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc.   When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  *The "From Etsy" Folder is not on the App, however (you must use a browser instead).

Also for future, many scammers are posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

Honestly, I don't get why Etsy can't nail these FAKE accounts who are impersonating Etsy Staff/Support, etc. It's happening way too often. Here is the Announcement about the "From Etsy" Folder (currently this is in past Announcements).

Here is the other Announcement "Protect Your Account from Scammers" (it is also in past Announcements).

Hope this is helpful to you, and may this cr-p cease.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing this.  I hope it all is straighten out for you.  Its hard enough to make an honest buck these day but to have this occur and to so many. It is disheartening.

Best wishes !

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Its discusting Etsy doenst protect us.  This is ridiculous.  If they were paying for this it would stop.  Its so easy to block those Emails... Geez

3 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CreativeBliss4U 

Blocking the scammers would involve making it harder to open a new account on Etsy, which may sound simple, but in fact it is not.

Making it harder to join the site would mean making it hard for everyone including new buyers.  If you came to a site for the first time as a buyer and the sign-up process read like a tax audit, would you want to join?  Many would not, who wants to have to give out their private information and prove their identity just to shop here?  And that would mean a lot of forum threads from sellers asking "where are all the new buyers" and "why is Etsy driving people away"?

Alternatively Etsy could start reading all new messages to determine if they were genuine buyer enquiries or scam attempts.  I daresay that would cause further outrage in the seller community and possibly breach privacy laws in some locations.  

Etsy does what they can, there have been plenty of warnings about scammers on the main site and in the seller areas, banners in shopfronts, and on the forum pages.  Etsy has been removing scammer accounts rather quickly of late, often before the unsuspecting buyers can even answer the messages.  We see loads of posts from new sellers asking why they can't answer a "buyer enquiry" or an "Etsy support" message.  The answer is that Etsy has already removed the account.

Bottom line is, the internet is and always has been a "user beware" activity.  We all need to educate ourselves as to the dangers and read up on how things work before jumping eagerly into a site.  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy has removed the messages envelope from messages, so you can't just create a message anymore (which I personally didn't think should have been there in the first place)

that will probably slow the phishing scams,

and sellers who have no idea about spamming laws.

0 Likes
ColukiCrafts
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Had the same exact thing happen. They took $364.33 out of my bank account on online gaming stuff. Contacted my bank and reported it and canceled my card. They refunded me as a fraud but then stated they determined there was no fraud and will be taking the money back!  Thank god I took some pictures as I found it odd too. But also said my page was locked until I provided the correct information. Such a lesson learned

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ColukiCrafts  I am so sorry you were scammed. It is happening to many Sellers. I'm glad you contacted your bank and stopped the card. Also, I would run virus checks on all of your devices, as well as report this cyber crime to authorities.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.