Etsy repeatedly overriding my language selection

In the past week, Etsy has been systematically overriding the language selection that I use to work on my shop. I am in Switzerland but sell mostly to the US and UK so I choose to work in English. Everytime I re-open my browser, my language has been set back to French. This didn't use to happen. Can you please make the language choices stick?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
14 Replies
theheydayshop
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Etsy repeatedly overriding my language selection

Same, but the for me it's currency setting. I sell in USD and therefore prefer to see everything in my shop as USD. Etsy keeps changing it based on location. Hoping for a fix soon!

0 Likes

@theheydayshop This one sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Etsy account holders may have their currency set differently to their location for any number of reasons. What if they inadvertently make a purchase in the wrong currency.

0 Likes

I have the same here! I am sitting in Germany, but I am selling to the English speaking world, and I work, speak, dream in English. It is a bit more than uncomfortable that Etsy forces German on me every time I move in my backroom. This kind of forced nationalism threatens my feelings on a deep level! Of course I cleared my cache first, and restarted my machine several times, but to no avail...Please Etsy, fix this soon!

0 Likes

I don't know if this is related but twice in the last few days my preferred language has suddenly changed from English (US) to English (UK). I have to scroll to the bottom of the page and change it back.
I am in Australia so English (UK) would be the default but I have had it set the way I prefer it for years with no problem.

I notice it straight away because listings show basket instead of cart eg ...in 1 persons basket...

1 Like

sounds related to me!

1 Like

For me it's actually both language and currency settings although I only mentioned the language in my original post.

0 Likes
LumaieKeycaps
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy accesses the phone settings each time it sends a message from the buyer through the orange application, and these messages are displayed on the phone screen. It also adjusts the language settings of the site according to the language installed on your phone. I personally consider this behavior as bug, while Etsy views it as a beneficial service for the user. To resolve the issue, I disabled the display of messages on the phone screen in the orange app.

0 Likes

It's because you are in Switzerland and Etsy automatically translates listings into a buyer's language.  Why not just list in French anyway and Automatic Translation will translate all your listings and descriptions automatically into each buyer's language.  Unless you know all languages then it makes sense and far less work for you.

How to Translate Your Shop and Listings – Etsy

0 Likes

It´s not about listing language. It´s the viewing language that you can choose at the bottom at the page. I have mine selected fo English and location in the US, and it keeps changing to Portuguese and Portugal. Usually when I refresh the page it changes back to english and US, but if I click in a listing and it opens another tab, it´s in portuguese again.

0 Likes

@ProjectoAlfarroba  It IS about listing language for automatic translations.  Not everyone will know to change the language themselves, nor should they have to. 

0 Likes

@JJewellerySuppliesUK 

It isn´t about listing language. My shop is set up in english. My listing language is english, not portuguese. I´ve been using my viewing language in english for years. Only a few days ago it´s started changing to portuguese ramdomly. 

If I choose to browse Etsy in english, why does it forces me to see it in portuguese? What if I just moved here and don´t speak portuguese?

0 Likes

@JJewellerySuppliesUK This problem is about user account settings rather than shop settings. It's the three settings at the bottom of each customer side page for Country, Language & Currency, which are independent of shop settings.

When I am not logged in I see Australia, English (UK) and $ (AUD) because Etsy has applied the defaults for Australia as indicated by my IP address. 

But once I log in I see my language change to English (US) because that is how I have set it.

@FrenchVintagePrints has set their user account language & currency to something other than the defaults for Switzerland, but they are somehow reverting back to the Swiss defaults.

0 Likes
theheydayshop
Inspiration Seeker

@JJewellerySuppliesUK If they allow you to save the browser settings, they should not be reverting it to any other setting they deem default.

0 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

I’m in the US, and I’ve had my currency changed to a couple different non-US currencies.  

Given what people are reporting here and that it’s happened to me, I posit that this might be a bug that Etsy needs to fix, rather than intentional.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.