KibbiesCreations
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy penalized me for shipping late and it wasn't late!

Jump to solution

My customer made a purchase on Saturday night.  I have a 1 business day shipping policy.  Monday was Labor Day in the US so I could not ship.  The package was shipped on Tuesday (which was the 1st business day).  How can this stuff be corrected?  Now I will lose my shipping badge.

I was all ready penalized for not answering a message within 24 hours on July 16th.  The customer sent me identical messages with in seconds of each other.  I only answered the one because It was identical.  So I lost the message badge.

I am frustrated that these things can't be fixed.  It makes me look like I am not on top of things and I am.  

What do I do?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy penalized me for shipping late and it wasn't late!

Jump to solution

There are so many different holidays in different countries across the world Etsy does not make allowances for any of them, otherwise everyday would be an exception.

It is up to us as sellers to stay on top of holidays in our location.  Etsy gives us the option to extend shipping dates once by up to 21 days, you can do this when you know a holiday is coming up.  Alternatively, you can increase your "ships by" time by a day or two on all listings to account for holidays when they occur.  

Most importantly, failure to receive a Star Seller Badge is NOT a penalty, however Etsy chooses to promote it.  There are NO real advantages to having the badge (at  least at this time), it doesn't come with increased visibility or search priority and there is no tangible advantage to be gained by having the badge.  There are many shops who provide exceptional customer service but will never achieve the badge simply because they are unable to meet the spurious requirements for the badge.  It is not worth stressing over, just carry on giving great customer services your own way and ignore the badge.

View solution in original post

3 Likes
10 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Next time extend the shipping date. Holidays are not considered on Etsy. I have my processing time set at 3-5 days so I never have that problem.

3 Likes
KibbiesCreations
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.  Now that I know Etsy doesn't count Holidays I will adjust my shipping date.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Next postal holiday is Monday, October 10th.  There are only 11 postal holidays in the US, so mark them on your calendar.  You have 2 choices:

1. Extend your turnaround time before a holiday or
  2. Change the ship-by date after an order is placed

Good luck!

4 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

There are so many different holidays in different countries across the world Etsy does not make allowances for any of them, otherwise everyday would be an exception.

It is up to us as sellers to stay on top of holidays in our location.  Etsy gives us the option to extend shipping dates once by up to 21 days, you can do this when you know a holiday is coming up.  Alternatively, you can increase your "ships by" time by a day or two on all listings to account for holidays when they occur.  

Most importantly, failure to receive a Star Seller Badge is NOT a penalty, however Etsy chooses to promote it.  There are NO real advantages to having the badge (at  least at this time), it doesn't come with increased visibility or search priority and there is no tangible advantage to be gained by having the badge.  There are many shops who provide exceptional customer service but will never achieve the badge simply because they are unable to meet the spurious requirements for the badge.  It is not worth stressing over, just carry on giving great customer services your own way and ignore the badge.

3 Likes
catfluff
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

if you ever encounter an issue that you can not ship on the day it states then you can update your ship by date for that order, so the moment you realized you couldnt ship out on Monday, you should have updated the ship by date, we sellers do this all the time. Also Etsy pushes for fast processing times, but life does happen,  so to cover yourself and not have to think about it , is adjust too 1-3 business days , so what if you ship the next day your at least have a cushion.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

and regarding the duplicate message that you didn't respond to - just mark it as spam. I've marked similar messages as spam and they stop counting ... it can take a few days.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have oodles of feedback praising my fast shipping but for years I've had mine set at 1-3 business days and most of the time it is going out on that third business day after purchase. I suggest that you change your processing times to reflect a wider parameter and still ship 1 day when you can and/or want to. Most holidays will be covered that way, unless they order on a Wednesday or Thursday and the following Monday is a holiday, then I extend the ship time one more day OR I ship earlier.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I got an order and the customer messaged me and asked that I make the product in blue rather than black. I told him it would be a few more days for me to source the material and he was just fine with that, Unfortunately it shows late shipping. Is there any way to get it adjusted? Like if the cusotmer wrote a note to Etsy? This is the first time that it's happened and spoiled my 100%

Thanks

Bill

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@ArizonaWoodStudio  Sadly, there is no changing that now.  However, Etsy does allow you to change the ship-by date, but only once, and only before the original date has been reached.  In the future, simply extend the ship-by date if you need to ship later.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Not a big deal I suppose, but that 100% sure was pretty! I've adjusted my shipping policies. I have a very small community that I service, so they all understand. Etsy works so much better than sale by email.... That's what I use it for. My product is very defined and not for the general public...

Thanks again Brad

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.