Etsy not sending download links for digital listings

Jump to solution

In just the last few months, I've noticed a concerning increase in the number of customers who are not receiving their download links when they purchase digital items from my shop (mainly crochet patterns in PDF format). Is anyone else experiencing this? It's almost every other customer at this point. There's no common email service or geographic location linking the cases. Why has it suddenly become such an issue?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy not sending download links for digital listings

Jump to solution

Post an extra "Picture" with directions of how to find and download their "Instant Download" . I send them this when they ask me how to get their pattern: Instant downloads are available every day and every night. You cannot download from the Etsy App. Use a laptop or desktop computer.
If you log into Etsy, and look for your profile picture, at the upper right, There is a drop down menu under it.scroll down to "Purchases". Click on it and look for your order. click on that and you can go to your download.
Let me know if you still can't find it.

View solution in original post

1 Like
13 Replies

Jump to solution

So they are not receiving the transaction email at all?  I'm not surprised.  I only get a fraction of the emails I should be getting,  both as a Seller  and a Buyer.

2 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Post an extra "Picture" with directions of how to find and download their "Instant Download" . I send them this when they ask me how to get their pattern: Instant downloads are available every day and every night. You cannot download from the Etsy App. Use a laptop or desktop computer.
If you log into Etsy, and look for your profile picture, at the upper right, There is a drop down menu under it.scroll down to "Purchases". Click on it and look for your order. click on that and you can go to your download.
Let me know if you still can't find it.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks, I will implement this!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

To Etsy staff: I am miffed that a company that can afford a Superbowl commercial can't seem to maintain the most basic of features for its sellers. For the fees I'm charged I should be able to rely on an automatic email delivery to complete a customer's experience in my shop, it's such a small ask. This faulty feature has the potential to affect my shop stats, as some customers won't bother to contact me about non-delivery and will simply leave me a bad review for something that wasn't my fault. Fix this, Etsy.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@LittleRavenFiberArts  I hear your frustration!  Please know, however, that several other things can contribute to this problem, the main one being that buyers don't always keep the email address on their Etsy account current, or they've input an email address that they don't check very often.  So of course they won't see the Etsy email with the download link in these cases.

Another potential problem is if they purchase the pattern as a guest (i.e. without being signed in) -- for some reason, a lot of the emails for those guest purchases aren't received.  I don't know if it's because there's no email verification on those orders, or what, but it's something I've noticed in my shop.

Finally, another possible pitfall is when buyers sign into Etsy using Apple, Google or FaceBook credentials, even though they have a regular Etsy account, too.   It depends if the email address associated with these other accounts is valid or not, or is one that the buyer is looking at to receive their Etsy emails.  I don't completely understand how this works, and couldn't get any further info from Etsy unfortunately.  (The rep didn't even understand my question!) But it's something I've learned about from customers who had issues when purchasing downloads after signing in with an alternate account.  

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@LittleRavenFiberArts   The email is sent by Etsy.  No problem there.

It is possible that some buyers who have extememly high security on their email may not get the emails unless they add the email provider to their accepted list.

Actually there is nothing for Etsy to fix for this.  It is working well.  I have done sevearl downloads from various sellers recently and received emails for all but I was alos able to download immediately.  The app does not have this for financial reasons so you have to inform buyers to use a browser, 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think also some still don't know they can't download the files through the app. They have to log in on a computer browser and find the email with the link or find the link on their purchase receipt. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@ButterflyFeetDigital   Because it costs money to download from the app and ETsy seems to be unwilling to add that cost to downloads.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ButterflyFeetDigital @JDTotesnDolls   Apple (and probably Google, too) takes 30% of the value of any in-app purchase/download.  So it's pretty clear that Etsy does not want to pay this, and of course, none of us who sell digital downloads want to cover this 30% either!  

I just wish Etsy would put a little note in the app to let users know that they need to download from a browser.  They don't say a word anywhere in the app about this, which is really user-unfriendly.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@LittleRavenFiberArts   The email tells the buyer how to download the item.  I know as I buy digital downloads and it has the information.

Also downloads cannot be done on the app.

Also when the buyer purchases a download, if they wait about 30 seconds the ability to download appears right there.

One can also go under Purchases and reviews.

Etsy has many ways for the buyer to get their download.  Do you give them this information in the Note to buyer?   

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Most often, download links will not show up if you're using a smartphone phone.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have been having this same problem. I have a video in every listing that shows how to download files and a message is in each digital order email confirmation for how to find the files but 3 out of the last 5 orders I've received I've had messages from the buyers that they never got a notice of their order and don't know how to get to the files. So it seems like Etsy isn't sending out what they normally do for digital download orders.

3 Likes
PartyGameIdeas
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I don't know why this issue continues to persist. I have received more "I didn't get my Digital Download" messages on Etsy in the past 3 months, then I received in 2 years. I got another one tonight. Heck if you  miss these messages then your Selling rating is hurt, customers are frustrated and it impacts your ratings. It has gotten so bad I have a stock email - Noting app issues, site issues and all the options to download and a link to the Etsy "How to Download page. So frustrated - $7 million on Super Bowl, Drew is making $$$ to promote sales and they can't seem to spend the money to make this process Easy and Trouble Free. - Sorry had to vent. Sarah

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.