Etsy isn't allowing you to checkout a large cart at once

I just discovered something as a buyer that worries me as a seller. I was just trying to checkout with 17 items in my cart, which shows as 3 pages on Etsy and I wasn't able to checkout my whole cart at once. Etsy wants me to checkout each page individually. I don't know how long this has been the policy but I just found out about it. 

My worry is that some buyers will not realize they're only checking out part of their cart and then wonder why the rest never shipped and maybe not even notice that until it's too late for the gift giving occasion and the seller loses a sale. 

Or, as in the case with my cart, I was wanting to use PayPal's 6 month interest free deal for purchases of $99 or more. Well, splitting my order into 3 would mean that two of my orders wouldn't qualify so what I did was delete two pages worth of items and only bought the things I absolutely need right now and decided the rest can wait for a more opportune time. 

There's no reason for Etsy to have done this. How much more can we take from this once great, now truly awful platform. We really need a good alternative marketplace for handmade and vintage. Who wants to make the Rumble to Etsy's YouTube? 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
8 Replies
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy isn't allowing you to checkout a large cart at once

It could be one or more particular items that are blocking the combined purchase.  If there is one item that is in a country where there are sanctions or limits on what can be purchased (or if your own country restricts one of your items from being shipped from a specific country)  that can upset the apple cart and prevent purchase.  Try removing any items that look iffy and see if the purchase will go through to the next step without them.  Then add them back one at a time until you find the problematic item or items.  

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

THIS.  

If one of the shops is PayPal only, you need to purchase from them separately.  PayPal only shops use a different payment processor.  

1 Like

It used to be that orders that used PayPal and Etsy payments caused an issue but no longer maybe unless it was a stand alone PayPal.  However I don't think Etsy's PayPal would allow this deal.  Etsy has Klaarna for that.

It's also possible the items in the cart especially if they sat there for a bit had a listing change which usually means Etsy wants you to review.

Other possibilities are credit card limits.  Even if you think have enough credit, you might not have.  Sometimes credit cards limit what can be bought from certain parts of the country or world.  Some CC cards impose a limit for a certain amount in single transaction.   

The payment processors are the ones in charge of the finances and they follow guidelines established.  Etsy has to follow what they have to follow.  

I've been on other sites where I had to split or process differently.  It's not just Etsy.  And some sites when you reach a certain price point get really picky.

As a buyer on Etsy I have no issue with their current guidelines.  If I want to make a huge purchase I would check with my bank first to make sure the payment can go through.  After all banks and CC companies hold the strings. In fine print can be some interesting information about how, when and where purchases can be made.

And this is first time I know of that this has been brought to attention here in the forums so either it doesn't happen, doesn't happen often enough or the buyer just buys what they can.  If this was truly happening a lot there would be sellers who are also buyers here complaining,

0 Likes

@DeadMenTellingTales wrote:

I was just trying to checkout with 17 items in my cart, which shows as 3 pages on Etsy and I wasn't able to checkout my whole cart at once.

Highly doubtful that the number of items in the cart is the issue.  Supply shops commonly get transactions with that many items and many more.  

3 Likes
BigXStudio
Conversation Maker

I've had sales of over 50 listings in a single transaction so it's not the number of items. 

1 Like

PayPal used to have an issue with a single combined cart order that has items from more than 10 shops, so if that's the case, and the Buyer is using their PP, they need to break their combined cart into 2 or more orders.

1 Like
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

I'm assuming the 10 shop limit still applies. 

This Etsy help center page mentions it: https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026831353-What-Payment-Methods-Can-I-Use-to-Check-Out-on-...

"When purchasing using PayPal on multi-shop checkout, you can purchase from up to 10 shops in one transaction."

0 Likes

I’m experiencing this too! As a seller - it’s very concerning!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.