Etsy changes categories! Be sure to check your listings!

My categories have always been Jewelry-> Bracelets -> Charm Bracelets.  Been here since 2010.

I found yesterday that my bracelets had defaulted back to jewelry, all 350 of them.  Which means, all my sizing, clasps, gemstones, materials and attributes are gone.  It feels like I waste so much time fixing what etsy changes, updates, they don't test their updates.  I suggest everyone check the categories of their items.  

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
13 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy changes categories!

Wow, Thank You for the Heads Up!  To see the Categories, are you opening up the listing in you Listings Manager Page?

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I opened a listing within my Listings page. The new listing form came up automatically (I always switch back to the old), but I'm not editing anything so I scrolled down to read.  My Category and Sub Cats were correct.  There is a blurb which says: "This listing will appear in 15 related categories, including Gifts, Gifts under $30 and more."

For you, with all of your Attributes, Materials, etc. changed; that isn't right. Information which you put in should not be deleted.  And you never would have known if you didn't check.

Duh, I didn't have to go into Listings Manager Page to see my Cats.  I opened a listing right from my Shop.  Scrolled to the bottom, under "Explore Related Searches". It shows my Cat and Sub Cats.

2 Likes

I am all over the place trying to see what is going on.  I even went to Vela, which is a bulk editor for Etsy, and even there everything had defaulted to jewelry and all my attributes are gone.  Gemstones, sizing, and things like adjustable and materials.  Its a mess.  The time I spend trying to fix etsys mistakes in my shop I could take a months vacation every year.  It never stops.  Last month it was the photo's, still 80 hours in, and still haven't gotten that fixed.  

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I'm sorry; that is a lot of unnecessary  work.  Etsy shouldn't be deleting/changing info from listings, of their own accord, in my opinion.  The Seller chose the Cats, Sub Cats, Attributes, Materials and so forth, when they set up the listings.  And the Seller should be secure in knowing that the information will remain untouched until they choose to change it.

1 Like

I have charm bracelets in another shop and their category has not changed, so it's not something that has happened to everything in that category.

I'm so sorry it happened to you. It really could be an issue either with Etsy itself or the Etsy-Vela integration.

1 Like

From my legwork this has nothing to do with Vela, as I had not been in Vela in 6 months and this was in the last week.  This is etsy messing about.  I suspect with them adding all the subcategories underneath the main one did you see this? "Shoppers will find this item in all of these categories" - it's new.  

Then they list out a bunch of areas the item will be posted, this is new in the last week.  Coincidence I think not.  This upgrade is what I am pretty sure deleted all my categories and defaulted them back to jewelry removing all attributes.  

1 Like

Re: Etsy changes categories! Be sure to check your listings!

I just looked at my totes which are for carrying projects and yes, Etsy has messed with the sub categories on mine.  In fact they seem to be missing,   I looked at the category list and it is not matching up what is in search with the category list.  But my dolls are fine. 

@BlackberryDesigns    I just looked at some of yours and the sub categories are listed there. 

1 Like

That is exactly what happened, sub categories, all gone.  They are there now, I had to bulk edit in Vela and rebuild everything, started early this morning to add everything back - 5 hours later, and I have most rebuilt.  I have to do gemstones one by one and that will take hours.  

1 Like

I just realized this happened to me too! All my wedding items were changed to "Pendants necklaces"! My best sellers are no longer selling and this may be why! I called etsy for assistance and was told they didn't see any issue! Ugh!

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

I have noticed that some of the subcategories are not available in the new listing format. Another reason to avoid that system.

3 Likes

Do you mean the new listing format? I have been avoiding that and still use the old one.

2 Likes

I noticed that awhile back with the new listing format, the new format also would not save my additional photos, just the main one. So I'm always switching back to the old version.

0 Likes

I don not like the new listing form for 2 reasons that etsy does not seem in any hurry to fix.

The first is the photos that you upload are not in the order that youve selected to upload, you have to put them back into the order you want.

And I dont like have to basically type in my subcategories in the new listing format. If I use the old listing form I can drill down and select it.

I will check some of my vintage items today to see if they are not in the subcategories Ive typed in.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.