Etsy Won't List Item

Hope someone can help me. I've placed a vintage item in my shop that was from the USSR. Etsy automatically stopped it from being posted in my shop. Why??? I can't find any answer to this.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Etsy Won't List Item

5 Likes

Russia is a sanctioned country.  Nineteen gives the link above.  The sanction applies to vintage as well as new items.

2 Likes

OP, Americans are not allowed to sell merchandise created in USSR, or Russia, or many other sanctioned countries. It doesn't matter when the item was created, it's forbidden under U.S. trade laws.

1 Like

The posts above are not quite right.  Only certain items/individuals/corporations are sanctioned, from the current state of Russia.  Anything vintage or USSR is not among them, nor small sellers located outside of Russia selling historical items from the region.  Here is a list of all Russia related sanctions:

https://www.state.gov/ukraine-and-russia-sanctions/

However, as with so many things, Etsy is not willing to distinguish between what is sanctioned and what is not.  It therefore chooses to remove all Russian and USSR items whether the sanction applies to them or not. It is no different than them removing everything with the word "amber" in it, or having a drug paraphernalia bot going wild on all kinds of non-offending items.

Unfortunately, even though your item is likely not a sanctioned item, good luck trying to get Etsy to properly administer the embargoes.  So in that regard, the above posts are correct.  "Etsy" (not US governmental sanctions) has decided to remove all Russia related items.  Since we know that Etsy doesn't want to put in the work to properly code any of their bots, for all practical purposes your item is "sanctioned," even if it isn't.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.