Etsy Support "Verification" Scam

I got two messages from "Etsy Support" asking me to confirm my identity because my account has been marked as suspicious. They asked me for my card information, bank balance, and was about to "verify" by making me pay almost $230 USD. The problem is that I gave them my card information! Can someone help me on what I should do next? Thank you.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Etsy Support "Verification" Scam

contact your bank - report you have been scammed,

get the card cancelled, and get a new one,

depending on the terms you have with your card provider, you may be covered for fraud, and they will refund you, if you authorised the payment.

If the message is from etsy, it would have been in the "from Etsy" folder, as well as the inbox folder

4 Likes

Yes, contact your bank and either freeze your account or ask your bank how to proceed.

Cancel your card and get a new one

Do this NOW. Do not wait, not even a minute. They will work fast to take your money.

4 Likes

Yes, do as @ThePurplePuppy recommended first and foremost before you do anything else and contact your bank and/or cc company immediately. 

Things to remember as new sellers, (or sellers opening an additional shop): Etsy will never send you a message asking you for your email address (they already have it), or request you to follow a link to provide any information, and they'll never send a QR code for you to scan.

Anyone can message you on Etsy; the scammers are using users names such as Etsy Support, Etsy Staff, and Verification Bot (and a host of others), but all message correspondence legitimately from Etsy will be in a folder in your messages titled "From Etsy" when signed in on a browser. Any message not in that folder is not a legitimate message from Etsy.  Fairly newly reported is the seller app (which I don't use) apparently has a lozenge around messages that are actually from Etsy. 

Don't be embarrassed that you fell for it; others have too and the scammers are good at what they do, and continually adapt to bypass security measures Etsy (or any other website) puts in place.   Any questions you have regarding suspicious messages or things you are unsure of, come to the forums - there are plenty of sellers here who will offer advice, often times preventing these type of things from happening. 

2 Likes
CreativFashions
Inspiration Seeker

Yes I received a from etsy support that looked like I needed to verify my account.  I did until they asked me to give them amount in my account 

0 Likes

This is scary!

A very simple question for Etsy is, why don't you have Good Customer Support for both buyers and Sellers. You are a public company, get with the 21st century.

8 Likes

@PinkCoyoteJewelry: Unfortunately "get with the 21st century" means more artificial intelligence bots and less actual human contact. All large companies seem to be moving to this model. And when you do get a real person they often do not seem to have the ability or authority to actually fix something.

0 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Etsy needs to get a grip and auto spam scammers it's either a skill or a will issue

1 Like

This just happened to me 10 minutes ago....UUgghhhhh.  Seemed quite legit........until they asked what the balance was in my account.  Froze then cancelled the card.  Scammers are just the worst!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.