Etsy Search Filters Don't Work!

Jump to solution

I was trying to search for a "positive shirt" in etsy search, and all that comes up are SVG's, ok fine, so I try to filter my search to search "positive shirts" in only the womens clothing category and it doesn't let me, it just jumps to "womens clothing".

With so many listings on Etsy I think it is IMPERATIVE that search works to narrow down what it is we are actually looking for and in what category we wish to find it in. This needs to be fixed. I'm not looking to purchase an SVG i'm looking for SHIRTS and SVG's dominate the results. I am annoyed as a buyer AND as a seller on this one!

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Etsy Search Filters Don't Work!

Jump to solution

Etsy search works.  It's not perfect but does work.  Your initial search capply to many areas so many times more specific   are needed.  

I did your search and did notice that in the drop down was positive shirt for women.  Worked beautifully.

I went back to positive shirt and chose the filters,  Clothing, Women's clothing, tops and tees, then t-shirts.  Again I got t shirts.

If you search a lot for svg, the AI may assume that is what you want if that is what you got.

I don't use the app so search may be different on the app.  But I use mobile devices as well as computer and I'm able to search.

I find search to work just fine.  It does take learning some searching skills to know when to change, expand or contract a textbox search.  And like any search engine learning the pecularities of that search engine.  I had to learn Google percularities as well as Bing and whole host of other sites.  The worst I find is Amazon actually.  Every search engine has it's own unique written program.  There is no one program that can suit every way a person searches.  Just not possible. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

You must be new here. Etsy search hasn't worked for a long time.

12 Likes

Jump to solution

Fair enough haha

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I came here to say this too lol. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@CuriousityShop     I disagree.  Etsy search is just fine.  It works a lot better than many I have used in my long career with search engines.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I would think using the dollar filter would be your best search filter. Most SVG listings are low priced, so by setting a minimum of say $10, that should get rid of all them and show you only the actual t-shirts. I just did this and didn't have any issue narrowing down my search to only show me actual tees with no SVG listings mixed in. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks. This is actually helpful!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy search works.  It's not perfect but does work.  Your initial search capply to many areas so many times more specific   are needed.  

I did your search and did notice that in the drop down was positive shirt for women.  Worked beautifully.

I went back to positive shirt and chose the filters,  Clothing, Women's clothing, tops and tees, then t-shirts.  Again I got t shirts.

If you search a lot for svg, the AI may assume that is what you want if that is what you got.

I don't use the app so search may be different on the app.  But I use mobile devices as well as computer and I'm able to search.

I find search to work just fine.  It does take learning some searching skills to know when to change, expand or contract a textbox search.  And like any search engine learning the pecularities of that search engine.  I had to learn Google percularities as well as Bing and whole host of other sites.  The worst I find is Amazon actually.  Every search engine has it's own unique written program.  There is no one program that can suit every way a person searches.  Just not possible. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I do search for SVG’s usually, so this makes a lot of sense! Thanks

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I just ran a search for 'iguana soap'.  According to search, the most relevant thing under that search is an .svg cutting file of an iguana.  I cannot use that in the shower. 

In fact, on the first page of results, less than half the results were soap at all.  If, as a seller, I can't find things I want to buy, I have no idea how other buyers are finding things they want.  Which leaves me having no idea how label my listings so that people who actually want what I sell can find them.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

It doesn't work. Digital download like SVG files NEED to be put in a separate place than physical items. It's pushing sellers who sell products to the back!!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.