Etsy Scams

I'm brand new to selling on Etsy. I received messages from potential customers that said they were trying to purchase an item and Etsy was asking them for the sellers email address. Of course I sent it to them. Then I received an email saying that I needed to VERIFY my shop. I clicked on a link to verify and there was a form for a CC. I did not enter any information. I just want to confirm that this is a scam to get my credit card information. Thank you for any insight.

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy Scams

Yes any time someone wants to take you off Etsy through email (which they have when you signed up), these are scammers. They want your CC and bank acct. so they can take the funds from you. They will say we cannot verify your acct. for security purposes re enter your cc and bank info, or they may want you to click on QR code too.In messages via browser see the “From Etsy” message look in that, if the messages you are unsure about are just in messages and not under that tab they are scams. Run a virus scan on your computer, you may have a virus even though you didn’t give them anything.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

@TheChasingHappyShop Yes, it's a scam.  Buyers NEVER need your email to make a purchase.  What the scammers want to do is take you off Etsy and steal your CC info and empty your bank account.

Some things to consider to keep you safe:

1. When you get a REAL order, the order will appear on your ship dashboard, and the money will show in your shop payment account.  
  2. If Etsy ever needs to confirm or verify anything, Etsy will put that notification on your shop dashboard.  
  3. Don't let anyone take the conversation off Etsy.  No email, SMS/text, phone calls, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc.  Keep everything within Etsy messaging.
  4. Do not click on links or scan QR codes sent in a message.  
  5. When in doubt, check your shop from a browser, not the app.  The app is limited.  Any message from Etsy will be in the "From Etsy" section in messages. 

Good luck.

0 Likes

"Etsy was asking them for the sellers email address. Of course I sent it to them."

Think like a buyer. Have you ever ordered anything online? Did you ever need the email address that belonged to the shop you were buying from? Could you think of any reason why you would ever need that? Does that make any sense at all? Of course not. You may need your email address, but you never need someone else's email address to make a purchase. Of course no one would ever need your email address to buy from you. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.