Etsy Deactivated Some Listings They Claim Violated The Prohibited Items Policy

I sell tshirts of my own original designs.

A turtle shirt that says Shell Yeah

A Lion wearing Glasses Shirt (same as my logo)

A funny reindeer wearing glasses Shirt

Etsy said in an email that these listings contained prohibited content

The following types of items are prohibited or restricted on Etsy:

1. Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, Drug Paraphernalia, and Medical Drugs
  2. Animal Products and Human Remains
  3. Dangerous Items: Hazardous Materials, Recalled Items, and Weapons
  4. Hate Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Hatred
  5. Illegal Items, Items Promoting Illegal Activity, and Highly Regulated Items
  6. Internationally Regulated Items
  7. Nudity and Mature Content
  8. Violent Items: Items that Promote, Support, or Glorify Violence

My keywords and title dont use anything vulger but basic "Lion With Glasses Shirt" "Funny Turtle Shirt" Reindeer with Glasses Shirt"

How in the World Do I violate any of Etsys Prohibited Violations Policy? Am I being Bullied? Harassed? Thats how I feel right now. I believe strongly this was by mistake or a glitch. I hope someone working for etsy is not targeting me unfairly. Has this happened to you?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
26 Replies

Re: Etsy Deactivated Some Listings They Claim Violated The Prohibited Items Policy

sounds like a mistake. I'd check all my titles/tags  here to make sure> Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) (uspto.gov)  Shell yeah does have a live TM for hats and tshirts. May be they pushed a wrong reason button. May be a mistake. Unfortunately you will have to try to get an answer from Etsy.

0 Likes
MadronaPencils
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy Deactivated Some Listings They Claim Violated The Prohibited Items Policy

The only thing a turtle, a lion and a reindeer might have in common is that they are endangered creatures?  Do they think you are selling actual animals???

(Like anyone using the word amber as a color, also had their listings deactivated.)

3 Likes

Is there a chance that someone has registered the "Shell yeah"?    I know I've seen that on other shirts/materials.

A bot likely found something that pulled the listing incorrectly.   I'd create a ticket and see what they say but I've heard that will take a few days for a response.

Hope it works out!

2 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

From what you're telling us I can't imagine what would be prohibited. When I go to your shop, the first listing I see right now is the lion wearing glasses (on a sweatshirt) so they haven't totally gotten rid of that one. 

Hopefully somebody else will have a suggestion - or at least offer an idea of how to get hold of Etsy so they'll actually answer! (That's the toughie, I know...) 

1 Like

When this happens it is usually done by a bot that picked up on key words to look out for. Did your notice mention if they are they up for review? I've had this happen a few times when I used amber as a tag and/or in the description to describe a specific shade of yellow. After a few days to a week after an actual human reviewed my items they were reinstalled in my shop.

3 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Must have been a bot that removed them. Probably based on a tag you used.

1 Like

Madrona Pencile I believe thats what happened. They think Im selling actual animal products because all the items taken down had that in common. I dont know how in the world my Reindeer wearing glasses shirt violates their policy. Crazy I can see this being a BIG Mess with thousands of shops being wrongly targeted.

0 Likes
MadronaPencils
Conversation Maker

See if you can get a more specific answer from Etsy.

If it does shake out that they are targeting animal names, then that's a good percentage of Etsy.  See if you can get them reinstated.

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

No idea, but the irony is that whilst looking at your remaining lion listing Etsy also recommended what looks like a Lion King sweatshirt! 

Illegal items includes counterfeits so perhaps they think it's an intellectual property infringement. I thought they usually specify it that's the case.

Nude lion perhaps??

I hope you get an explanation from Etsy, do let us know.

0 Likes
BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

@lastearth    Just a wild guess .... Were they hoodies? They have now prohibited children's hoodies (because they will strangle themselves with the strings :/). It's new so maybe if they were renewed, it got caught by the bot. I noticed you have a Shell Yeah hoodies mentioning kids.

3 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

If you can't figure it out contact chat support so they can put a ticket in for someone to look at it to see if it was an error.  You are not being "bullied" or "harassed".  Sometimes the automated system makes an error (if it is one).  

Here is a link to initiate chat or email. 

1 Like

I have an open ticket waiting to hear back. All of Etsys front run support cant help in anyway but just open a ticket.

0 Likes

There are Federal standards on hoodies for children under 14. The standard is to prevent strangulation by drawstrings getting caught in vehicle doors, equipment, etc. Your lion shirt states it's available for youth. I think an Etsy bot is surveying listings for sweatshirts and hoodies affected by the standards.

2 Likes

Although I Offer alot of variations hoodies for children under 14 is not an option so something screwy with etsys bot is wrongly targeting my listings. I have an open ticket waiting to hear back.

0 Likes

I had a vintage book deactivated the other day, no email from Etsy. It's about an animal trainer in the 1950s, and seeing the issue you're having, I think Etsy bots went on an animal spree this time. I did read through the policies again and noticed a new section about cat and dog pelts, so maybe things were updated and the bots went crazy.

I opened a support ticket, got an automated response, and am now just waiting for a real person to get back to me.

0 Likes

I just had a listing I was trying to post be deactivated before it was even posted.  I am listing a stovetop coffee percolator.  I don't understand how a coffee pot violates anything at all.  Sure would be nice if "Keep Commerce Human" had humans to talk to.

1 Like

@SuperiorFireLights was it corningware? They were recalled for being unsafe. https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/listings-deactivated-by-etsy/td-p/137161205

and I think there were a few other makes and brands as well. 

1 Like

Old stovetop coffee pots were recalled back in the 1970's because they were shattering and causing serious injuries. So Etsy doesn't want people selling recalled items, like lawn darts for example.

As long as your coffee pot isn't electric, or from the Corningware line specifically recalled, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Corningware coffee pots from the 1970s were recalled because handles could break and cause scalding injuries. Etsy now doesn't allow any vintage coffee pots or carafes. It's always wise to Google for consumer safety recalls before listing certain products. 

1 Like

You have got to be kidding me.  Why on earth would I google for a consumer safety recall before listing a coffee pot that people have been using for 60 years.  Not mad at you, just mad.  

0 Likes

@SuperiorFireLights   because you are selling it and you are supposed to check such features.

And no people are not using the coffee post which is why they can be found for resale when technically they should have been destroyed.

Be mad at the system but it is your responsility to do the research to make sure you are selling safe items. 

4 Likes

This is happening to a lot of us.  Just report it and wait for them to fix it.  It takes them weeks.

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Anyone - Is there an online list of all these things that Etsy auto deactivates that aren't covered in the prohibited items page? Maybe we need to make one? Since Etsy don't appear to be very helpful (or are vague with their communications) it would certainly make it easier to guess the reason for deactivation. At least we would have some reference to point sellers to.

0 Likes

@Amaradorn I'd be happy to help compile and publish one, but unfortunately Etsy is not allowing blog or website links in the forum, so someone will have to do it here and deal with the impossibility of managing such a thing in a format that can't be edited. 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.