Error message appears when I try to start a new listing / Etsy help center has absolutely ghosted me

I tried to publish a new listing for the first time in a few months with my Etsy account. Checked my account for any flags, warnings, or updates, and everything looked fine. When I went to publish or save my listing as a draft, red banner with the message "Hm, we’re having trouble saving your changes. Try again, and if this keeps happening contact Etsy Support." appeared, and has continued to appear for several days trying to create a listing.

I went to customer support, and within a few hours, I got an automated response with a few simple things I could try to solve the problem. Most I had already tried, but I tried the rest as well as a few other methods on my own, but my account still would not publish new listings. I was told to screenshot the page and they would continue to help further from here. It's been a few days since then, and I've heard nothing back from the original representative that helped me, so I tried to open a new report recently to see if with this new information from my end (and maybe with another person helping me) the problem would be solved. Now checking back in on that query, an auto-prompt already closed the help request, saying it was completed when it absolutely was not completed. At this point, I feel like I am purposefully being blackballed from trying to create help requests. This has already screwed up my product release schedule last week, but at this point, I just want my account working again, and an explanation as to why Etsy is purposefully avoiding my help requests.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
14 Replies

Re: Error message appears when I try to start a new listing / Etsy help center has absolutely ghoste

You should just open one help request and keep the same email going back and forth until the issue is solved.  Perhaps Etsy had exhausted its suggestions. 

I would clear your cookies and cache and try listing using a different browser, maybe Chrome or Firefox.  

0 Likes

Re: Error message appears when I try to start a new listing / Etsy help center has absolutely ghoste

I did continue commenting on the same email chain for the weekend. I have at least 6 unanswered questions in 6 replies in there. Etsy only gave me one original reply, and then ghosted after they told me to continue reaching back out if the problem hasn't been solved.

Trust me, that's what they told me. I tried clearing cookies, cache, tried safari, chrome, both under different login profiles on my browser (don't think it matters), tried doing it on different wifi networks, and tried doing it on my phone on roaming data off wifi. The error persists. Not sure why I get the luck here but it is what it is I guess...

0 Likes
SweetStichesoz
Inspiration Seeker

I;m having missues revising listings as well

2 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@SUBMARINOFabrcations  Etsy is rolling out a new Listing Manager. Not sure if your problem is related or it's a glitch. 

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/22851122487

1 Like

Is there any mention when that will happen? If that's the case, as a seller, it feels really terrible to kind of just be left in the dark by Etsy as far as these UI overhauls that break older elements without explanation.

0 Likes

UPDATE: That's exactly what the problem was. There's now a little blue bar at the top of the listing page that asked if I was enjoying the new listing page and if I wasn't, I could revert it back to the older version. It's been a few months since I posted a listing and didn't realize the change. Now the listings actually work!! Only took 7 days with a scare that I wouldn't make rent to finally find a solution. 

This is absolutely ridiculous that Etsy forced a new listing update that came out completely broken, and gave ZERO explanation as to why it's been doing so with ZERO communication from their help center. This is the final straw for me. After these sales, I'm moving to Shopify. This site is garbage.

2 Likes

@SUBMARINOFabrcations    Have you checked to see if you have any extensions or other blocking?  

I'm on Edge and have the new listing plus I can go back to the old so it is not an issue.

Since nothing is working for you, it might actually be your hardware.   How old is your computer?  How old is the operating system?   Do you regularly update and use utilities to keep computer clean? 

It is quite possible that what you are selling may be the issue?   Licensing needed for permission to sell upgrades?

I don't know but if the computer is not the issue, it might be the items you want to publish.

1 Like

My computer is on the older side, so that could have played a part if that was all that was tried. My newer iphone also showed the error, which would also rule out any sort of plug-ins or older OS that would come into conflict.

The product launch was in physical merchandise of stickers and patches that I personally designed and got manufactured, so in this case that shouldn't have caused an issue. But I do sell STL files as well so that was a good thing to check.

0 Likes
RandomMeasures
Inspiration Seeker

Switching back to the older version both worked for me and gave me a clearer error message that stated that a character in the alt text for my pictures was invalid. As far as I can tell, alt text apparently doesn't like either quotation marks or colons and will pop the error.

2 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@SUBMARINOFabrcations  It's always best to check the Sellers Handbook>Site Updates located in your Shop Manager Dashboard>Community &Help>Seller Handbook). Here's the article. https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/1128070425806?ref=handbook

0 Likes
FanimeFrenzy
Inspiration Seeker

I got the same error. So I switch the oldest version of listing and then I got new error about image alt text (I had to remove qoutation mark) then everything was clear. So I thing in new listing version the errors not the same as the oldest, so you cannot see where is the problem.

0 Likes
NonoProblemo
Inspiration Seeker

I had the same issue today, I switched to the older version of listing and it worked

0 Likes

I was having the same super frustrating issues and tried to publish several times..... Then I went to the ALT text and removed parenthesis and voila! it worked.... hope you try to remove all except text, good luck!

1 Like

Super helpful thread - I was having the same problem and followed a couple of commenters suggestions of removing brackets and dashes from the alt text - and I also removed speech marks from the title just in case, after that the listing loaded just fine - thanks for the info

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.