BooksReDunn
Inspiration Seeker

Endless Captchas Requesting Verification of Identity Impacting Our Ability to Access the Site

To whom it may concern,

The issue of captchas prompting one to verify their identity, in the interest of excluding "bots" or "zombie/ abandoned account registries" from accessing the site's features, are significantly impacting our ability to use this platform for the purpose of marketing and advertisement of various products and services. Numerous attempts have been made to address this issue, including, but not limited to the following:

Clearing the browser cache

Restarting the device

Purging the DNS record through the application of "ipconfig /flushdns" through the command prompt graphical user interface, both at user, as well as administrative level

Any assistance that can be provided by the community or Etsy team members to address this issue and achieve some semblance of resolution to prevent this from occurring would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
16 Replies
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Re: Endless Captchas Requesting Verification of Identity Impacting Our Ability to Access the Site

I am confused.

0 Likes

Re: Endless Captchas Requesting Verification of Identity Impacting Our Ability to Access the Site

Have you checked you have a stable internect connection? Have you tried different browser?

0 Likes
BooksReDunn
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, the internet connection is stable and not marred by an intermittent loss of connectivity.

0 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

I think the first paragraph means this:

“I get so many captchas when I try to log in that I’m having difficulty accessing my account. How can I stop this problem?”

I hope you can get a solution.

5 Likes
BooksReDunn
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, in layman's terms, this is the issue we are experiencing with the site on a regular basis.

0 Likes

@BooksReDunn: Google reCaptcha is triggered by a number of factors;  exactly how this is done is part of Google's secret calculation, and they do not publicly disclose it.

Google tries to figure out if you are a bot or not. Some factors are your IP address (has it been identified as a bot already, is it a VPN, or Tor address); if you signed in to a Google account; your scrolling  behavior; your browsing history; has your browser fingerprint changed, etc.

reCaptcha always returns a score and then the threshold set by Etsy determines if you will see the challenge.

0 Likes
BooksReDunn
Inspiration Seeker

We don't access the site in simultaneity with our personal Google account. Our IP (Internet Protocol) registry is not a VPN (virtual private network), nor is it a TOR (The Onion Router) specific address.

0 Likes
SewCottonSoSoft
Inspiration Seeker

Try signing in with Google!

0 Likes

My theory is that this is just something Etsy does to remind us who is boss.  Eventually (but not soon enough) it just "goes away" as quickly as it came.  

I have 3 shops which I go back and forth with.  Can you imagine how much fun I am having these days?  Especially when trying desperately to list new items during the holiday season?

I grit my teeth, bite my tongue and remind myself daily "this too shall pass."

0 Likes
BooksReDunn
Inspiration Seeker

We have five separate stores and each one is being negatively impacted by this issue, so much so that we've had access the site through the Help Center navigation portal.

0 Likes

The sad thing is that half the photos are so dark and/or blurry that you can't make out anything much less the thing you are looking for AND

Even when you get things right they don't stop - they just keep right on coming!

5 Likes
GTHENRY
Post Crafter

0 Likes

There are quite a few factors that can trigger the capcha.

I have the second, strictly buyer account and I couldn't log in, because for 20+ minutes [!!!] I was filling the captcha, selecting buses, traffic lights, and motorcycles...  and I just gave up at some point.

Then I realized I had VPN turned on in the browser I was using, and after I turned it off, I logged in without any issue. I believe Etsy was severely triggered by the abnormal location.

But can it be like that in your case? No idea.

2 Likes

This IS SO ANNOYING. Stop!

My workaround, because no matter how many times you get it right, it just keeps cycling--I put in my shop name in the search window and when it comes up I then sign in with no issues.

1 Like
MyBeata
Post Crafter

Hi everybody, 

same problem here! For some time now I can not access my shop with firefox because of ENDLESS Captcha loops. 

I understand that I need to confirm that I am not a robot but why cant I confirm it by clicking three right pictures in a row. Why do I have to click like 30 pictures and even then it doesn't stop! 

I have this problem only with firefox. Such a pain in the neck!

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

The other night i spent 22 mins trying to get in. I clicked all the right pics. The one that i could SEE anyway!! ha ha Many are blurry...This only happens to me on chrome incognito.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.