Emuuroo
Inspiration Seeker

Email from Etsy Conversations

Hi, I just newly opened my Etsy shop yesterday. About 3 hours later, I received below email in my email inbox and in Messages in my Etsy app. Is this a scam? 

Dear seller! you are welcomed by ETSY technical support. Congratulations! The buyer has paid for your goods. In this chat, you will need to provide your E-mail address, to identify the payment and receive additional details.

Why do I have to do this and why is the new order not showing?

In accordance with Rule No. 1.43, we need to confirm your identity in order to provide additional information about your new order. To do so, you will need to provide your E-mail address in this chat. (this action only needs to be done once). Please note! your E-mail is only provided to this technical support chat. They buyer does not have access to it.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Re: Email from Etsy Conversations

It is a SCAM

3 Likes

It's not showing in your orders because you have no order.
If from Etsy it would be in the FROM ETSY section on your message page. If it's not there, it's not from Etsy. Don't use the seller app, use a browser or computer.

This is SCAM!!!!!!!!
A buyer nor Etsy needs your email. Etsy has it, a buyer doesn't need it.
Etsy would never say "Dear Seller". SO many red flags on that message another one this rule #1.43......geez.......

Really........."the buyer doesn't have access to the email" but THOSE scammers will have access to it.

There's a gazillion posts on these forums about these scams that started like June/July.

PLUS info on the help page, announcement pages.
Links below:
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/1087958808206

2 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Etsy admin has your email, and they would send you a DIRECT email (not an etsy message that is forwarded) if there was a serious problem. I've been here for 14 years and it's rare that I have ever gotten a direct email from Etsy. 

If an order is not showing in your shop manager, then there really isn't an order.

Anybody, including scammers can send you a message through Etsy, which automatically gets forwarded to you as an email. What you do is go to Etsy on a WEB BROWSER (NOT the App!), look at your Messages. Etsy created a special Folder in Messages "From Etsy".  If the message you recieved isn't shown in the From Etsy Folder, then it's from a scammer pretending to be Etsy. 

Mark the message as Spam.

2 Likes

LMAO!!!! "In accordance with Rule No. 1.43..." well that's a new one. Why not 2.67? Too funny

3 Likes

I thought the same thing about a rule #. 
Those scammers will try anything to make a message seem legit. 

0 Likes

My question is: where did the scammer get the email address?

0 Likes

@ByzantineArt 

The scammer didnt have the email address. The message was sent in etsys messaging system. Etsy messages in the etsy messaging system are forwarded to the email associated with your account unless you disable that option. It's a notification of sorts that goes to your email just like sales notifications do. The scammmer doesn't have the email address, etsy does. If the scammers had it they wouldn't be asking the sellers for their email address. 

5 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

They don’t have it. Messages on Etsy are automatically forwarded to email.

1 Like

Well in accordance with rule # 137.56-b you shall be admitted to the SPAM bin.

7 Likes

SCAM. This is not how sales work or how you confirm anything.

When you get a real sale, it will show up on your dashboard under "Orders & shipping".

If or when etsy needs ID or financial information, a notice will be on your dashboard. They do not communicate via messages or email.

Do not respond. Do not engage. Mark the message as spam.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Congratulations on recognising that the message wasn't quite right.  The sender does not have your email address, otherwise they wouldn't need to ask you for it.  It sounds like you have email notifications turned  on, and each time a new message arrives in your Etsy message box, you will get a copy of the message emailed to you as well.  That doesn't mean the sender is actually from Etsy, nor does it mean they have your email.  If you are prepared to check your messages regularly (at least twice a day is recommended) you can turn off the email notifications.  

The message you have received is a scam attempt.  If you had a real sale, it would show on your Dashboard and would go through without you needing to do anything or provide any information.  You gave Etsy all it needs in the setup process for your shop.  If they ever need more, they will ask for it in a banner on your shopfront and you will provide it ON SITE.  Etsy never requires you to email information or go offsite to provide it.

Send the message to spam, this will bring it to Etsy's attention and they will take action to remove the account it came from (if they haven't already).  The scammers open lots of new accounts, and use each one to send as many scam attempts as they can before it is removed.  Yours may not have been the first attempt from that account.  Etsy is removing them quite quickly, often before the unsuspecting new users can reply to them.  We see multiple posts in the forums each week from new sellers who tried to reply to a message and got a "user does not exist" error. 99% of the time, this is because the sender was a scammer and Etsy removed the account.

I recommend you spend a little time each day reading up on how things work on Etsy and what to expect when you really do get that first sale.  Forewarned is forearmed.  

2 Likes

Lol - rule # 1.43 !

0 Likes
Emuuroo
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you everyone for all your replies and suggestions! It appeared in my Etsy seller app's Messages too. I deleted the message shortly after my posting. 

0 Likes

Correct. If you have email notifications turned on for etsy messages (used to be called conversations) you will get an email from etsy subject line Etsy Conversations sent to your email every time someone sends you a message on etsys messaging system. The message will show on your etsy main site messages (pc/laptop) and on both apps (blue sellers app and the orange shopping app)

0 Likes

Guess they got bored of "Etsy Support" and tried something totally idk (rings dumb to me) that is "Etsy Conversation:...And yes Rule numbers gotta love those! Next thing ya know we will have clause numbers to add to it!

0 Likes

@MokuMokuPens 

The whole Etsy Conversations thing is what the email notification subject line is in the email etsy sends when you get a convo/message. It may even be part in the email address its automatically sent from (unless you disable that email notification)

0 Likes
timelapse
Conversation Maker

self deleted

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.