I always write a note to my buyers. Etsy now has a feature to save the notes to be able to easily use again. I don't need to save my notes since I write a personal note to each one of my buyers. It is unclear if I don't save it, if it goes through to the buyer. I hit Enter and it doesn't highlight or anything. Will my customer get my note if I don't save it? 

MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

Re: Does the New Note to Buyer Have to Be Saved?

Thanks LynnsLittleShop. I'll look at that. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Thanks to Etsy's muddled up and over complicated "improvement" of the Buyer Note section, I'm no longer going to personalize these notes. Everyone's going to get the same generic note that automatically populates. Henceforth I'll save my personal words for conversations, at least until Etsy decides to take that over, too.

2 Likes

I think it's better, 

Just one less "save" step, which I sometimes forgot, so I like it

0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

@CraftyCornishMaids  I feel the same. I usually remembered to save it but it was another click that I'm happy to see gone.

1 Like
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

I was also confused when I saw this so I chatted with Etsy.  The drop down showed 5 or 6 various "default" notes which I, at one time or another, apparently had used but none of which I wanted to be sent to my customers upon shipment.  (Some of them looked like order confirmation notes that I may have saved as snippets).  After a very lengthy back and forth I was told in order to not send a note to the buyer, I could delete them all by "Just click... and a page will pop up showing the messages you saved and then just hit the trash icon so no messages will remain."  As a former software developer, I continually shake my head at the poorly designed, unintuitive junk they continue to unleash on us.

5 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

What? The only way not to send a message to a buyer is to delete all your saved bits?

1 Like

I have a few saved ones, I can pick the one I want and change it, if I want to, just like before,

I just don't have to save the change anymore

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

@CraftyCornishMaids I was talking about when you DON'T want to send a note.  You can't do that by "just picking the one you want to change to."  And also, you act like not having to save is a feature.  It's not.  It's inconsistent with the rest of the site so leads to confusion and unintended messages being sent to buyers (and I'm guessing lots of customer support requests).  The fact that there is a thread about this says it all.  It's crappy design.

2 Likes

@AmoreTreasure 

You don't have to set messages up if you don't want to.

Then none will be sent.

If you set up messages you can have a default saved, and do nothing, it will use that.

then just edit if you want to, without having to save it,,

or pick another, without having to save it.

It's great, 

It's the way it used to be, before they forced us to save it every time, which is a real pain.

1 Like
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

@CraftyCornishMaids well I didn't "setup" messages, there were at least half a dozen that they pulled from somewhere in the drop down list.  The one that had defaulted (I guess since it was not at all obvious if they were using any of them and if they were, which one) was one I used back during the height of covid which I hadn't used in years.  So, in order to not send messages, I had to use their unintuitive method to delete them all.  Crappy design.......I've got lots to do today so you just go ahead and get that last word in.

2 Likes

you have probably been sending that default message all this time

It's the way they work.

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

@CraftyCornishMaids apparently you're wrong about "the way it works" because I checked order history and have NOT been sending that default.

0 Likes

You are correct, that it is not on the orders, or order history, it never has been.

it's on the e-mail dispatch notification, about three quarters of the way down.

we get a copy, it's on there.

It isn't anywhere else.

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

@CraftyCornishMaids Once again you are wrong.  I have emails from Etsy turned off and have for over 10 years so can't speak to what you are seeing there.  As @LynnsLittleShop identified on the previous page of this thread, you can go to ORDER history, click on the order number below the user, click on "more details" below and to the right of the delivery service and see the "note to Buyer" area.  So, you can check somewhere else to see what note, if any, was sent to the buyer.

0 Likes

@AmoreTreasure 

Nope, don't have that at all

I have gone through everything on the order, there is nothing that says "more details"

the "more actions", you can print the packing slip and order receipt, but it's not there,

I have nothing which says "more details".

the only place I see the comment is on the copy of the dispatch e-mail

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

Sorry to hear Etsy "broke" something... but for once, whatever they did seemed to fix a glitch I've had for years. Several years ago, I tried updating my Note to Buyers on the label page. But no matter what I would try, I was never able to save & choose a new default note. If I tried deleting a note, it wouldn't work either. I gave up trying. But I was finally able to create a new note without even buying a label (I use PirateShip). I send the same note to everyone, so I don't have to worry about this. 

0 Likes
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

I can see how it may be helpful if you send the same note to everyone but I send a different note to everyone. The problem is, I'm unsure if it goes through if I don't save it. 

1 Like

@MadGirlRetro 

I send a different note to everyone, I change it, before I mark as complete

You can check if it goes through or not, as it will be on the dispatch e-mail you get a copy of

0 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

When this changed a couple of days ago, the box to have my notification also emailed to my inbox was auto checked (I have never asked to receive these updates in the past).  I have looked at each message and they have been exactly what I entered. 
In short, despite the “save” box being missing, the messages have been what I expected. If you worry, check the box to have a copy of the recipient’s receipt sent to you. 

2 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

P.S.  It’s interesting to see what the buyer sees. It’s also interesting to see what is advertised at the bottom of the receipt. 

1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@MadGirlRetro   It's unclear to me too so I haven't used it. 

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

Update: a customer who has become a friend let me know that she got my note even though I didn't save it. So it DOES go through. 

0 Likes

Yup,

as I said above, it does go through, even if others don't think it does

0 Likes
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

My customer who became a friend confirmed that she got my note which I didn't save. So all is good. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.