Digital listings being processed as physical orders

I had an open order for a digital listing because for some reason the listing was processed as a physical good that needs to be shipped. I contacted Etsy support and they let me know that this is an issue that they are aware of. I expressed concern over the possibility that this would affect my star seller rating, and was told that yes, this is also a concern on their end. So, I cancelled the open order and notified the buyer of the bug. Just a heads up.

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
16 Replies

Re: Digital listings being processed as physical orders

Hi !

This happened to me too last week and I was unable to get a satisfactory response from Etsy.

Now I risk loosing my star badge because of it and I think it is unfair because it is due to a glitch in the platform...

Did it change anything when you canceled the order? 

Thanks Francesca

1 Like

Cancelling the order, refusing a sale, in the hopes of keeping the worthless purple star does not make sense to me. The star is just fluff, a pat on the back at best. An actual sale is worth more to the search algorithm. 

4 Likes

Lol, sellers cancelling sales to keep their badge was probably not what Etsy hoped for when they curled out the SSP…

3 Likes

I understand, cancelling an order is never a good thing. But in this case there seems to be no other solution at the moment (the customer will in each case have his files sent manually). It's sad that you do a good job in terms of product quality and customer service, and then you lose an opportunity for a glitch not caused by us. Is there anything so strange about holding on to a badge earned through your good work?

0 Likes

@AquamarinePrintsCo  @DigitalArtsi    I understand the emotional impulse to want to keep the badge, but it is not logical for a seller to refund actual money to keep a badge that has zero financial value.  

2 Likes

@PrairieCrocusStudio well, it's not just an emotional impulse...the badge provides interested customers with important information on the shop products quality, on the seller reliability, on the efficiency of customer services ... it can be intended as a component of one's sales strategy, therefore it does have financial value (even if not directly visible)

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Resellers, candy gift basket sellers and other rule breakers have Star Seller status. It doesn't stand for anything.

2 Likes
obgoestomarket
Conversation Maker

The only people stressing over a flawed seller program are sellers. Shoppers can careless about some purple badge. 

0 Likes

I tried completing the order as though it were a physical good a few days ago and my star seller badge stats are still showing as if I failed in shipping. It is what it is I guess. Disappointed.

0 Likes

Before this flawed star seller program, a completed sale would not have resulted in disappointment.

We'd feel better if we'd focus on the successful sale, rather than allow the badge to hijack our feelings. The only stars that matter are the buyers' reviews. 

0 Likes

@PrairieCrocusStudio- Deep down, the only stars that should matter are the ones in the sky

0 Likes

Can confirm. Lost star seller because of a bug that was never fixed.

0 Likes

@DigitalArtsi 

I have a digital item I list as physical,

I e-mail it, and mark it as complete,

It has never affected my star seller, it is under the £10 threshold for requiring tracking.

.... I do this, as digital items attract VAT, e-mailed ones do not 

0 Likes

@CraftyCornishMaids  - Mine was still marked as failed shipping time even after I completed the order. It's a known bug that I had confirmed with Etsy support. They however did nothing to fix it. They just gave me the usual canned response of "we are forwarding this to our engineering team"

It was never fixed and I never heard back so I lost star seller.

0 Likes

it's very weird bug that it affects your items, and not mine, as I am at 100%, so it's not as if my other items are making up for it

0 Likes

Yep, it is weird. It's the only time I've had this issue and Etsy was unable to fix it in time for me to keep star seller. When I download my shipping log, the bugged listing doesn't even show up as part of the log, yet my shipping is stuck at 87%

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.