MevvSan
Post Crafter

Digital Downloads Not Possible Through the APP But Customers Don't Know This

As far as I know, Etsy isn't letting customers download their digital files through the Etsy App.  I assume it has to do with the same legal issue Kindle and other apps had with in app purchases a few months ago.  If they had in app purchases, they would then be required by Google Play Store rules to hand over some of the profits. I could be wrong about this, but that isn't my issue.

My issue is that I sell digital crochet patterns. I kid you not, the last 4 sales I made, every customer contacted me saying they couldn't find the download link.  And every one of them showed me a screen shot of their purchase inside the Etsy App.  What I find so frustrating is that Etsy  IS NOT TELLING these people that they can't download the files with the app.  They think there is something physically wrong with the website.  Half these people have straight up told me to "fix" the issue, or they ask for a refund.  

I even had a customer that I tried to explain the situation to.  I told them files can't be downloaded through the app.  She told me "I don't like YOUR policy, I have downloaded files before with no problems.  I want a REFUND NOW"  She only relented and understood the situation after I showed a screenshot directly from Etsy's support page that says files can't be downloaded from the app. Only then did she realize this is not "my policy" but Ety's policy.

I don't see how this can keep going on.  It is really affecting how customers see Etsy as a whole and it is making digital items a true pain to obtain from a customer's standpoint.  Am I the only person who has this issue?  Would anyone like to share how they deal with this? I have seen some digital sellers place photos explaining this information into their listings. Maybe I need to start doing that as well, since Etsy doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes
23 Replies

Re: Digital Downloads Not Possible Through the APP But Customers Don't Know This

Could you not add a last image in the listings explaining that it is not possible to download the files via the app? Or you could upload the files to drop box or google drive and add a pdf to the download which includes the link to download the file directly from Dropbox or google drive (as a addition to the files).

0 Likes

Re: Digital Downloads Not Possible Through the APP But Customers Don't Know This

I found that on Etsy the description when it has not been moved around or hidden can be problematic all the same but Images are mostly viewed.

0 Likes
MevvSan
Post Crafter

Your solution to use a pdf file wouldn't work.  They would have to download that PDF file through Etsy after purchase, and that is the whole issue I am having. No one on the App can receive download any type of files be it a pattern or a PDF file.

2 Likes

Unless you add a link to google drive or the dropbox in a automatic reply after the purchase 

0 Likes

I sell digital and do get the occasional customer understandably frustrated that they can't download through the app. As you say they often don't realise why they can't. Of course the ideal would be for Etsy to either change the app to allow downloads, or make it clearer why they can't, but I don't expect that to happen.

So I have a photo telling people they can't. I need to change it really to make that bit clearer. The reason I haven't got round to it is probably that it is only a small number. I find every so often I get a batch of any particular customer query that makes me question what I can do to clarify things for customers, but if it is just a few coincidentally coming in together then I deal with it on a individual basis instead.

I also include the 'can't download from the app' message on my out of office message set up for days and times I'm not around to answer messages. Digital customers can be world wide and also expect instant access to their downloads, so if you carry on getting similar queries it may help them quicker and so reduce their frustration.

1 Like
EGPhotoGraphics
Inspiration Seeker

I have a shop that also deals with similar issues in the digital download department. I'm just a bit confused about understanding the fees incurred by Etsy to their sellers as to why the app doesn't even accommodate completed digital sales. 

1 Like

Because etsy would have to pay to incorporate downloads through their app on apple (and I think android, not sure).

0 Likes
SarahLouCraftsUK
Conversation Maker

In my automated message that gets sent to digital buyers. I state how they need to download the file using a browser and not the app, but I will also be adding instructions to a photo slot as suggested in the comments above. 

0 Likes

I use the personalization feature to display a statement to buyers BEFORE PURCHASE that they can't download via the app, they have to be signed into a web browser to download.  The buyer has to type "yes" into the input box to indicate their understanding of this fact, and only then can their order be processed and payment made. 

The vast majority of my customers manage to do this just fine, although a few contact me asking why they can't purchase or they input their initials thinking it really is for personalization (because they're not reading the screen prompts).  Overall, however, I've had FAR fewer incidents of buyer confusion over downloads since I did this about a year ago.

Of course I have no way of knowing how many potential buyers are totally confused and just give up without buying anything because they can't get past the personalization input.  But I'm just so relieved to have so many fewer download problems that I really don't mind some potentially lost sales.  It really is a time-suck trying to explain all this about the app to buyers and dealing with unfair feedback because they can't download their files.  

The least Etsy could do would be to put a little informative message within the app itself telling buyers to download from a browser - I have no idea why they won't do this, and expect their sellers to do all the heavy lifting by answering questions, emailing out files, and having unfair 1-star feedback posted against their shops.

2 Likes

I copy and paste this to all customers who reach out with difficulty downloading.  I estimate it's only about 2% or less of my customers that have trouble.  You are welcome to copy verbatim and use as well.

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear you are having trouble downloading your pattern!
Here is a link to Etsy information regarding how to download a digital file and where to find it once it is downloaded:
help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013328108-Downloading-a-Digital-Item
Please let me know if this doesn't work.
Darcy

3 Likes
TheBZRMediaBrand
Inspiration Seeker

I tried explaining to customers with the text you have above and I've even gotten negative reviews because they claim to have "not gotten anything" even though the download button next to their name proves otherwise. 

1 Like
TheBZRMediaBrand
Inspiration Seeker

I feel for you! As someone who is consistently making sales on digital products I get asked every day, and multiple times a day to send the link. I even have people nastily asking me to send their template when they've paid no more than $2 for the template. You'd think they invested hundreds of dollars on their purchase! I've resorted to just sending them the Canva template link to avoid more harassment and annoyance in the messages. I might go the personalization route but I have also noticed less sales from those sellers so I'm apprehensive.

0 Likes

Hi I was having the same problem  xx

Maybe try a version of this message 

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear you are having trouble downloading your digital file

Here is a link to Etsy information regarding how to download a digital file and where to find it once it is downloaded:
help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013328108-Downloading-a-Digital-Item
Please let me know if this doesn't work.

PS  You can't download a digital purchase through the Etsy app at this time. To download a digital file, please sign in to Etsy on your mobile browser or computer.

This is an ETSY directive, not a shop one x Sorry for the inconvenience

0 Likes
blackmoonhouse
Inspiration Seeker

This is causing me pain as well. It's not as simple as giving the user an external link because, unless the file sent to them via Etsy has been downloaded, the user can't leave a review anymore.

1 Like

I use a photo slot, as well as adding it to the description. A lot of times they have downloaded the item, but they don't know where it is. That I can't help them with! LOL!

0 Likes

I've this problem with a customer recently. I sent them the file name in a message so that they could do a search on their laptop to find where it had been stored.

Also once a file has been purchased the buyer can download it multiple times so in the past I have directed them back to their order number and suggested they make a fresh download copy. 

0 Likes

This also happens to me a lot. You can now set up auto replies in your account which gives them the relevant information about how to download their files. I make sure there is also a message in the email they receive and if they still can’t work it out I cut and paste my prepared response. I try to avoid emailing them patterns but very occasionally if someone persists and really can’t download their file I will…

0 Likes

I send PDFs to my clients on Etsy every single day through Etsy convo. Many can open them on their phones but others have to open them on their computer. So I put that in there as a disclaimer. That their PDF may look like a picture on their phone and they will have to open it on their computer.

0 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Both Apps the new and the old never allowed digital downloads. This is a policy of Etsy. If the customer doesn't download the file from Etsy and you choose to email them a copy, they can claim a refund and get the file for free if they contest it with Etsy.

0 Likes

This policy is the bane of my life! I have up to 10 queries a day. I'm getting a bit fed up with manually e-mailing digital patterns to customers. I have a notice at the top of my shop and Etsy also adds a bit on downloading at the bottom of each listing but we all know that customers never read the listings properly. Drives me bonkers!

1 Like
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

@MevvSan Could you add it to your title,  "NOT downloadable in Etsy App" or maybe written on the first photo with the item. I see where you have the info in your third space but don't know if people go past the first couple of photos, especially on their phone.

0 Likes

I thought about trying this solution. I'm not sure customers will be put off by this message and may just read 'not downloadable' and skip on to the next listing in their search list loosing a possible sale. Although of course they would have the same issue with another download seller.

If Etsy couldn't include all types of sales in the App they should have waited till it was possible. Not helping the revenue they make from downloadable sales, which I imagine is quite a nice percentage.

0 Likes

@CrimsonStudioArt: "If Etsy couldn't include all types of sales in the App they should have waited till it was possible." While the app does need improving, the download issue is on Apple and Google not Etsy. Even Amazon requires that downloads be done via a browser.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.