GetKnitfacedInCO
Inspiration Seeker

Digital Download via Etsy app

It's that time of year again! The time when knitters/crocheters are purchasing digital items from sellers and then getting pissed off because they can't download them via the app and reaching out to us sellers in anger because of Etsy's lack of download functionality in their own app.

So, now as sellers we will be spending more time answering messages telling buyers how to go about downloading via a browser and possibly losing our Star Seller status because of poor reviews that pertain to accessibility.

Come on Etsy! We as digital sellers have been asking for this for YEARS!

There HAS to be a better way! Figure out how to allow buyers to access their digital content via the app!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
9 Replies
BigXStudio
Conversation Maker

Re: Digital Download via Etsy app

It will probably never happen because of mandatory commissions charged by Apple/Android for downloadable content. If a company makes downloadable content through their app, the platform (Apple/Android) charge a percentage (like 30%) of the purchase price. There is no way Etsy (or we digital sellers) can afford to pay that kind of commission. So the only solution is to only allow the content to be downloaded outside the actual app. 

2 Likes

Etsy could at least put a message in the app that downloads need to be made outside the app using a regular web browser.  But no, they can't manage to do that. Sheesh.

3 Likes

I use a picture slot in all of my listings. Tells them everything they need to know!

2 Likes

I hate to sacrifice a photo slot for that, but I may have to

0 Likes

There are work arounds, although nothing elegant (sadly).  I use the personalization feature so that buyers have to read and acknowledge they understand they're buying a digital download that must be downloaded using a browser and not the app.  It's set up so they have to type something in the box to place their order.  I probably lose some potential customers who don't bother to read closely enough, but at this point, I'd rather lose a few sales than suffer unfair feedback and/or explain how to download and/or email their files.  

1 Like

@GetKnitfacedInCO   It costs money to allow for downloads for Android devices.

One seller I buy from has a notice in her note to buyer that the buyer should download from the browser on their phone or use another device. 

0 Likes

The ETSY APP needs to make this clear, first and foremost.  It shouldn't be only on sellers to put extensive instructions in their listing descriptions, in their photos, in their payment receipt messages and/or in personalization boxes.   People don't read their receipts, or descriptions or view all the photos in a listing. (The Etsy receipts also go missing for a whole host of reasons.)  I suppose one could argue buyers also won't read a message in the app, but Etsy *could* make a message very difficult to miss, if they so wanted.  But the current situation is no skin off their nose, so it'll never happen.

Sorry, this is one of my big pet peeves with Etsy, especially since it would take soooo little on their part to address it.  I don't like that it leaves customers unhappy with my shop and their purchases (and by extension, Etsy as a whole).  I've had to ask Etsy to remove at least a few dozen unfair feedbacks that gripe about the download process;  fortunately, they've removed most of them.  But why do we -- buyers, sellers, and Etsy -- have to play this farce at all?

2 Likes

I had a customer place an order for two PDF patterns two days ago, and she couldn't figure out how to download them.  We had several rounds of communication and I ended up sending them by email twice, to an email not on her Etsy account. After I followed up on the 2nd email with the patterns, she wrote back to say she got them finally.  It wasn't clear exactly what the specific issue was, but my priority is making sure a buyer gets her purchase, not detailed troubleshooting (which is often irritating to customers who just want their order).

Most importantly for this thread, she said there were so many cute patterns on Etsy that she wanted to buy!  BUT she just couldn't manage the Etsy download process, so she's hesitant to place more orders.  It's just so frustrating.  

0 Likes

If I had a nickel for every time a confused/frustrated customer contacts me about why they cant download on the app I would have a boatload of nickels. Many folks do not realize there is a difference in the app and the website. There’s got to be a way to address this better! Like how about the app NOT automatically opening anytime the customer goes to Etsy.com or clicks an etsy link????

I have a note about not using the app to download in my shop announcements and also in my message to buyers but none of that seems to matter. So many frustrated folks. HELP, ETSY. 

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.