Descriptions fell to the bottom of page ...Why?

Jump to solution

All Listing descriptions fell to the bottom of the page and I can't bring them back to where customers can find them. Does anyone know what happen? Is it just another Etsy glitch and Monday morning it will go back to normal placement where customer can find it?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Descriptions fell to the bottom of page ...Why?

Jump to solution

It’s a test Etsy is doing. You only see it that way if you are in the test group. If you are not in the test group then the listing looks normal. It has been going on for a while so you must have just been put in the test. When I look at your shop I don’t see it the same way you do, only people in the test group will see it in the test format. 
I would imagine it’s a bit of a surprise the first time you see it, but just remember that not everyone sees it that way. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies
bobsiDi
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

There are many many posts about this in the forums already. Another nail in the coffin I'm afraid. As if sales aren't bad enough. I just hope they listen to us and get rid of this terrible layout.

11 Likes

Jump to solution

Hoping that this is a software glitch and NOT a change made by etsy. Buyer's do NOT want to see the seller's feedback and buyer's pictures before reading the description! They want to read the description and move on. Please etsy reconsider this format if this is what is going on. I believe it will be a loss of revenue for both etsy and the sellers.

6 Likes

Jump to solution

This month has been extremely slow like never ever!

3 Likes

Jump to solution

It’s a test Etsy is doing. You only see it that way if you are in the test group. If you are not in the test group then the listing looks normal. It has been going on for a while so you must have just been put in the test. When I look at your shop I don’t see it the same way you do, only people in the test group will see it in the test format. 
I would imagine it’s a bit of a surprise the first time you see it, but just remember that not everyone sees it that way. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

is that an inference or is there an Etsy email or note related to the test groups? How are we to know if we are or are not in such a group? 

I'm going to put on my supervisor hat and fire some Etsy IT people

1 Like

Jump to solution

@MerchByToolemera If you see the description at the bottom of the screen (more or less), you're in the test.

If you see the description where you're used to seeing it, you're not in the test. 

Several years ago, Etsy was nice enough to let us know what they were testing (or many of the things they were testing). Then they apparently decided that wasn't a great idea and stopped doing it. When many sellers are complaining about something in the forums, it's usually a test. Or an algorithm change that's brought sales to a screeching halt. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I see in this shop the descriptions moved back up into it's normal format for the buyers but not for the seller but my other shop the descriptions are flipped to where the buyer has to hunt to find the listing description at the bottom of the page and I see the listing description in it's normal format as a seller. The day before both shops had the descriptions at the bottom of the listing pages. Also the listings are looking very cluttered and stuffed, not classy like the Etsy we know. I shop a lot on-line and if item descriptions are hidden and or buying is too difficult I'll stop purchasing from that site and go find another site...I like Etsy and if finding item descriptions gets difficult or time consuming customers will leave and do there shopping els wear.

Also I saw no mention anywhere in announcements, community or messages of a test.

Please return the listing descriptions back to the old format especially for the buyers.

Thank you in advance! 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

@BestBobs  It could be that you are still in the test and the customer is no longer in the test. For me your shop hasn’t changed, I still see it in the normal format. People often go in and out of the test so you never know until you look at a shop. If the listing looks normal then you are not in the test, if the description is on the bottom then you are in the test. 
Years ago Etsy would tell us what testing they are doing and even what the outcome was but it didn’t last long. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

PUT IT BACK on top where it belongs!

3 Likes

Jump to solution

It is crazy. No-one can find the descriptions. I am guessing from the drop in sales I've seen the last 2-3 weeks that this might be connected

7 Likes

Jump to solution

I guess I am in that test group.  As a customer I want to see all pricing considerations (item cost, shipping, etc) close to each other.  However, Etsy has chosen to separate them and, instead, include a long white empty space to the right of the pictures. It's probably for the cellular phone interface.  While I understand the need to improve and streamline the look, separating price components (at least on my screen) makes no sense.

As a seller, it's disappointing to see the work I did to describe my product fall to the bottom.  There's not an incentive to really work on that information, either.  Of course customers don't read it half the time 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

OP, Why?  Because etsy doesn't know the first thing about real world business.  And despite what they claim, they do everything they can to be UN friendly to small business.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Don't like it.  I was browsing around the other day and took me a while to figure out what they had done with the descriptions.  Wish they would leave things alone.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi @ OmasFabricStash

Thank you so much for your reply, that was so kind of to you take your time to let me know about the test. Yes I do see what you see with my BestBobs shop as a buyer and yes it's showing the good old format but my other shop I have on Etsy is still showing listing descriptions as a buyer would see at the bottom of the listing page. Now I'm looking at Etsy shops on Safari and the listing descriptions are at the bottom of the page and with Chrome the listing descriptions are back to the normal format ... This so so frustrating 

3 Likes
MadeofSundays
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I was just on the chat with Etsy and they said the developers are doing some tests , it is extremely frustrating as I have been answering many unnecessary messages from clients asking for stuff that is already in the description. If your shop looks like this I recommend you complain via chat so they understand how annoying it is for both the sellers and the customers who cannot find information (even the name of the shop is now microscopic ) and stop using our shops as their guinea pigs. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I am just furious!  NO ONE looks for a description for an item below feedback and extra pictures of things being sold.  It NOW LOOKS LIKE THERE IS NO DESCRIPTION AT ALL!!!!!!  And there is no way to opt out of this TEST!!!!!  How can I get out of this stupid test!  My sales have dropped to nothing this past week.  This is ridiculous!!!!  Put the description next to or just below the pictures where it was before PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!  Before I am bankrupted!!!!!

4 Likes

Jump to solution

The poor placement of a description at the bottom of the page will ONLY result in more customer complaints, unnecessary questions and endless confusion.  

Does this have to do with pushing their own advertising agenda?  ($$$)

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.