Delivered to wrong address!

Got a question? A customer purchased from me. He mentioned when purchased that the wrong address was on his account. So I said "I would change it" BUT in the meantime I had many other orders to do so when I finally got to his order which was a week or so later I sent it out to the address in his account. Long story short it got delivered to his OLD address which is still in the same city of Chicago. But now he's asking for a REFUND because I sent it to wrong address. I asked him to go to old address and see if it's there. I also mentioned that ultimately the customer has the responsibility to change their address in Etsy if they move not the vendor. So would I be responsible to give refund because I didn't ultimately change his address? What if he goes to old address and they give him his order but then he still says he didn't get it to get a refund anyway? What case does he have against me, if any, for a refund? Please help, thanks.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
27 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Delivered to wrong address!

I would have refunded and cancelled the order and asked the buyer to fix their address.

9 Likes

Ok, but I didn't do that so what happens now?

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

You do nothing. The buyer gets at least 2 chances to fix their address before they pay.

1 Like

2 chances? I didn't know that. But he did mention he had address changes and I said I would do it but I got so busy and then forgot. It seems this makes me responsible??

0 Likes
FoundAndFlogged
Conversation Maker

Hi Debra. Probably best to refund, and keep a friendly customer who may come back for more later. If you said that you would amend the delivery address then didn't, I'd say it's down to you. The same thing has happened here a few times. When it does I print the amended address for the box immediately to swerve problems later.

Put this one down to experience, Etsy will probably refund the customer if you don't.

5 Likes

Yes, I know, just wondering if there was any recourse, thanks.

0 Likes
KellysMagnets
Conversation Maker

Normally I would say that it’s not your fault. Only the customer knows the correct address & needs to give us the correct one. But you did say you would handle it. So in this situation I feel it’s your responsibility to make it right. Either refund in full or send a replacement. 

4 Likes

If a refund then when? Shouldn't customer go and check old address first? I'm contacting the post office to see if they put it in a secured mailbox because it looks like it was delivered to an apartment complex and they usually have locked boxes. If so then it could just be sitting there in the box because it looks like the apartment is empty when I check on google just now?

0 Likes

You told the customer that you would change it so it is up to you to honor his request.  In the future, cancel the order and ask the buyer to repurchase with the correct address.  I don't know whether it has changed or not, but the customer has a couple of chances to change their address before placing the order.    

Solution:  Either refund or send a replacement.  JMHO 

4 Likes

Thanks.

0 Likes

You took on the responsibility when you agreed to the address change.  It's unfortunate you forgot, however the buyer is correct that it was your error.  They are entitled to a full refund.  You can see if you can contact the post office where it was delivered and have it returned to you or forwarded.  

1 Like

Ok, thanks, yes contacting post office now, just waiting for them to call me back, thanks.

1 Like
ACertainFeel
Conversation Maker

You are worried about the unfairness of him going to old address and retrieving the package but who wants to go thru that?  Awkward and uncomfortable especially when customer was told you would correct address.  This is clearly in your court. Own up to it. As a last ditch effort you could write occupant at old address and include a return shipping label for product. If label isn’t used you won’t be charged. 

0 Likes

Yes, i know it's inconvenient but I plan on reimbursing customer for trouble of going to look for it. I think the apartment is vacant so it could be just sitting in the mailbox there?

0 Likes
ACertainFeel
Conversation Maker

Is the time, money, angst and trouble worth the price of this item or is this the principle of it you are standing on. 

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

"I think the apartment is vacant so it could be just sitting in the mailbox there?"

So ... what if it is?  How would your buyer be able to get that package if it's just sitting there in a locked mailbox?  He can't!  So sending him on a wild goose chase will do nothing for you or the buyer.  And the PO won't be able to retrieve it for your buyer either because it was shipped to the address provided.  It would be illegal for them to take mail out of someone else's box and give it to your buyer, even if his name is on it, it's no longer his address!  He should have filled out a change of address form so that all his mail would be forwarded to his new address.  If he never filled out the forwarding address form, then any lost mail is his problem.  However he did request you to change it, and unfortunately you didn't do so because you forgot ... it happens to the best of us ... but now you owe him a full refund or replacement.  I would do so ASAP so as to keep good business relations.  I guess he could open a case and have Etsy refund him, but I am not sure if this puts a black mark on your account.  I'm sorry you are going through this dilemma, I know it must be frustrating!  Wishing you best of luck.  Oh, and for future orders with address change requests... for Etsy Seller Protection, you must ship to the address given at checkout.  If buyer contacts you to change it, you should immediately cancel & refund and ask them to repurchase with the correct address.  This protects you and the buyer from scammers.  Here's hoping this is not a scammer case!

0 Likes

I was hoping the management for the building could open the mailbox and give it to him. Anyway, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

0 Likes
FeltOnTheFly
Conversation Maker

You’re fighting this so hard!  Why?

you told your buyer you would change the address. You waited a week to ship, and didn’t change the address.  That’s on you. 

2 Likes

I didn't wait a week, my orders are custom made and I had to order fabric and wait for it's arrival which the customer is made aware. And it's a $400 dollar order that is a lot of money to refund, that's why fighting so hard plus I would rather he have what he paid for.

0 Likes
FeltOnTheFly
Conversation Maker

OK.  Good to have all of the details.  All those details make a difference.

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

$400 order?  Oh no, that means you have ZERO seller protection!  Etsy only covers up to $250 max including ship + tax.  I'm so sorry this happened. 

Purchase Protection Program for Sellers - Our House Rules | Etsy

1 Like

Great! I did put extra insurance on USPS but since they delivered to "correct" address on box I'm probably not able to receive that either???

0 Likes

Yes, Seller Protection - the elephant in the room.

Note that for shop owners to receive protection from Etsy for an order of any $$value the package must be shipped to the address on the order.
A buyer messaging after the fact to change their ship to address no longer holds any weight.
If any future buyers request you do that, cancelling & refunding their first order with the notation to change their address & repurchase can be the safer way to go.

1 Like
FeltOnTheFly
Conversation Maker

Please let us know how this works out...  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.