Delisted items

Posted here because it must be a technical issue when a walking stick is mis identified.

I was making, and selling, traditional Blackthorn Shillelaghs. Not any more. Delisted as being a 'weapon'.

This, along with not a single sale since July means me just allowing my other items to expire and then leaving quietly. I don't have auto renew set.

It's been so quiet, I sometimes forget I have an Etsy shop. I wish I could say its been great.....

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Delisted items

I feel for you @8rwt4aarbqc4r1uw , I’m the same, allowing ‘my’ Etsy shop to wind down, not because of delistings but the hypocrisy, stand with small? My arse… 

3 Likes

I had to google 'Shillelaghs'. It is a walking stick but also a club, cudgel, Irish fighting stick. In Irish slang "a stout club or cudgel, esp one made of oak or blackthorn."

I hate to say it but technically Etsy got this one right. Can you just not use that particular word?

2 Likes

And I didnt use any other words than 'walking stick' or 'Shillelagh'. I know full well the history of the item, and that's exactly what it is, historic!

I don't agree with your 'Etsy got it right' view in the slightest.

2 Likes

@8rwt4aarbqc4r1uw if you didn't use a word that translates into some sort of weapon, Etsy would most likely have left it up. They take down a lot of listings that are benign on the weight of one word. They also take down listings based on US-centric historicial issues that the rest of the world has no problem with anymore.

I never said I agreed with the takedown. I said that technically they got it right ... because the word you are using translates to the item also being a weapon.

0 Likes

Oxford Languages Shillelaghs description; "a thick stick of blackthorn or oak used in Ireland, typically as a weapon."

3 Likes

In the distant past!

1 Like

Surely that was in the 1700-1800s ! now they are used for hiking or just as ornaments. 

Does this mean you can't sell walking sticks with large head/handgrips - or  golf clubs ,baseball bats or cricket bats , equally effective as weapons ?

Goodness me ...

2 Likes

Thankyou @Cherryforest

My view exactly. 

2 Likes

If a human was taking down items, they would be able to see the item before taking it down. The rogue bots just take down items and this has been happening a lot. Hopefully you will have your stuff relisted in a few days. This crap is out of control along with many other things here on Etsy.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.