StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

Customers can't see the descriptions

As I have been promoting on Etsy I couldn't generate a sale this week as I can't see the descriptions for each listing item unless I log into my own account and read them by editing a listing.  I have spent on Etsy Ads and promoted a lot and there have been no sales as there seems to be a bug by which the customers can't read the descriptions on the items.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
8 Replies

Re: Customers can't see the descriptions

@StudioAvai Etsy has thought it best to move the description BELOW the pictures and hide them again so no one can find it, like they did last Aug.
Stupid test then stupid test now.

You have to click on the down arrow on item details to see just part of the description, then you have to click again to see all of it.

Same with shipping/policies. Click on the down arrow to see.

Both are annoying as he!! to me. 

ETA: Since you mentioned Etsy Ads, I wanted to mention that you'd be better off to STOP spending money on Etsy ads and look up some of the help articles on Etsy about how to title items and learn about SEO (tags) for your items.

Your titles aren't helping you, nor is some of your pictures. 
Unless Etsy has hidden the "tags" I don't see that you are using any of them at all in the few listings I looked at.

Tags and titles are how you've found here. If they're not good your wasting money on ads.

Are your prices correct? You have a lot of items under $5, some under $3.
By the time you pay ALL of Etsy's fees, cost of materials and your time, you'll lose money.
A lot of shoppers won't buy "cheap" priced items because it implies the quality won't be good.

4 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

Thank you, I didn't know about the test in August, I was at work.  My prices are lowish but a dress costs about £60 and it is very difficult to photograph with an iPhone, but I will do my best.  Etsy Ads done affordably do pay off in time, and if you reorganise your categories when you get potential customers to favourite something you can carefully ask them if they would like any assistance or point out any additional features.  This is how I got into retail.  SEOs are good but for example on Google the manufacturing industry has currently a bigger part to play and there is a lot of competition for search words.  One mistake a previous employer made was to never spend on Ads and the business closed.   Marketing is very important.  However thank you your information is valid.

0 Likes

@StudioAvai: "... when you get potential customers to favourite something you can carefully ask them ..." Be careful, if you are contacting people who favorite your items then you are breaking the law almost everywhere in the world and definitely violating Etsy's Terms of Use.

Based on other posts in this forum and people's general reaction to spammers you likely will lose more business than you gain with this strategy.

As to the descriptions being moved, Etsy runs these tests against viewing accounts and obviously you are in the test. However people who are not in the test group will see your listings in the "normal" layout.

5 Likes
FeltFunky
Conversation Maker

Many of us are no longer able to message customers unless they have made a purchase or contact us first. Have you still got that facility?

0 Likes

I do a lot of online shopping and have learned that just about every site I purchase from condenses the item description and other information. 99% of the time I have to tap a drop down arrow or link to read the item description. Based on the complaints in the forums, you’d think Etsy is the only site that does this. Walmart, Kohl’s, Joann’s, Old Navy, eBay, DSW and Staples also condense descriptions (those are just the apps on my phone, I’m sure there are more). 

1 Like

Well this is really stupid. I was trying to purchase something off of Etsy and couldn't find the description or shipping information until I came here to find out what is going on. I didn't even see the area BELOW the picture, so you tell me how is a customer suppose to look there for the information when most of them only look at the pictures! I just don't understand why Etsy just can't leave things alone. My sales have absolutely tanked and my visit are almost non-existent so I wonder if customers are getting so frustrated that they can't find the descriptions so they are just leaving and shopping elsewhere. I have gone from 500 views a day to less than 100 and I know it is the times, but that is a horrible drop.

1 Like

Hello

YES I have the same problem :

When I consult a product sheet (from my store or any other store) I notice that the description of the product has completely disappeared as well as the usual explanations (shipping costs, etc.) in the right column (display on PC computer). No matter how much I refresh my browser, log in and log out and log back in, it's the same: all that's left is the title and the price!

What is going on ? Do you have the same problem ?

Marie on February 17, 2024

0 Likes

@LaFabriqueFantasque: Etsy is currently running a test against some viewing accounts where the description, etc. have been moved and collapsed under the photo with an <Item Details> button and obviously you are in that test. Accounts not in the test will see the "normal" layout.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.