Creating custom order problem.

Jump to solution

The way we create custom orders from a customer message seems to have changed. Instead of being able to create a full listing I seem to just have a side bar to add basic details. I cannot add shipping profiles or an image to this. I have to go back into the listing once the order has been created to complete the details.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
18 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Creating custom order problem.

Jump to solution

I've been reading about this for weeks, have yet to see it.  It's a test that comes and goes.  Try signing out, back in, to see if it changes back, ot try a different browser.

In any event, once you publish a basic Custom Order through messages, you can edit it in Listings manager, and add your own picture and details - as long as it's before the Buyer purchases.

Also want to spread the word that creating a Custom thru messages in response to a request is not enough to satisfy the Star Seller metric, even though Etsy sends an email to the Buyer when you publish.  You must also respond to that thread with a message  like - "OK, here you are, as requested"

View solution in original post

9 Likes
121 Replies

Jump to solution

I've been reading about this for weeks, have yet to see it.  It's a test that comes and goes.  Try signing out, back in, to see if it changes back, ot try a different browser.

In any event, once you publish a basic Custom Order through messages, you can edit it in Listings manager, and add your own picture and details - as long as it's before the Buyer purchases.

Also want to spread the word that creating a Custom thru messages in response to a request is not enough to satisfy the Star Seller metric, even though Etsy sends an email to the Buyer when you publish.  You must also respond to that thread with a message  like - "OK, here you are, as requested"

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Same here. I noticed this at the beginning of last week. It is now a complete and futile mess to make an Etsy Custom Order. Why on earth would Etsy want no image involved with an item that sold? Makes zero sense?

Now, when I look at my SOLD LISTINGS section on my laptop, which is where I do all of my Etsy work from, I see some completely non-related blue/black/white image or icon instead of the beautiful cover image created for the Etsy Custom Order. Just wow. 

And the suggestion of adding in the cover image once you have already sent the Etsy Custom Order to the client is not going to work without a whole lot of confusion for the client because my clients make their purchases immediately, once they receive their Custom Order. I would have to write to them ASAP yet again and beg them NOT to place their order until I have added the correct cover image (which I have yet to succeed in doing, btw). Super bad business concept, don't ya think???

14 Likes

Jump to solution

Why does Etsy seem to always screw up a good thing!! The custom order page is a DISASTER! Can't include pics for your buyer?? WHAT?? And now with the mandatory Etsy "AD" fee, I am about over Etsy after 10 years. It keeps getting worse instead of better. Corporate greed at it's finest!

17 Likes

Jump to solution

This is unacceptable Beta, if that is what it is.  It is causing a send before the custom invoice is finished which also allows entrance to my private area for creating the listing.  When the customer click on that (which is technically not a finished listing) it takes them to inside of my dashboard. Anything could happen from that point.  They need to get this fixed.  I have dealt with it 5 times already throughout March and April. I have to click and then it takes me inside to finish and resend, but it has already allowed entrance by the first send link.  This is not How A Custom checkout should be.  This is a glitch (at least I certainly hope so.) It is getting to where I want to go inside my listing and create a brand new listing just for that customer to stop the problem, and send them a link from the new listing.  It seems to be the only way I can keep my privacy.   

3 Likes

Jump to solution

This is not a solution. The customer then receives two notifications that a listing has been set up confusing the matter even more. Plus, they usually purchase the listing before you have a chance to go in and add photos. Not a solution at all.....

2 Likes

Jump to solution

It is happening.  All the time.  Then customers wind up with two custom orders because it doesn't update-it literally creates another one.  It has been happening every day for two months.  I had a customer today that thought their item was leaving, but they never did pay for it because they had two custom orders instead of one and it confused the customer.  It is a real mess on the sidebar.  That should not be there at all.  No oepning of sidebars.  When you click create a custom it should go to the inside dashboard create an item listing panel where you can develop the order but it doesn;t until you create it on the side bar which is an incorrect wya and incomplete.  You know it is incomplete because Etsy then comes up and says complete the order for shipping. So you go to complete the order and it is a completely new order that gets sent instead of just an update.  This is computer programming that someone who is developing for Etsy has absolutely done incorrectly.  Not a glitch. It need checked out.  I am now going to go to Create a new item and forget about the custom order style.  It is driving me crazy and taking up serious time and causing customer confusion let alone my own,

2 Likes

Jump to solution

This was posted by user windowviews on 04/11/2022 at 7:11 AM

This is unacceptable Beta, if that is what it is.  It is causing a send before the custom invoice is finished which also allows entrance to my private area for creating the listing.  When the customer click on that (which is technically not a finished listing) it takes them to inside of my dashboard. Anything could happen from that point.  They need to get this fixed.  I have dealt with it 5 times already throughout March and April. I have to click and then it takes me inside to finish and resend, but it has already allowed entrance by the first send link.  This is not How A Custom checkout should be.  This is a glitch (at least I certainly hope so.) It is getting to where I want to go inside my listing and create a brand new listing just for that customer to stop the problem, and send them a link from the new listing.  It seems to be the only way I can keep my privacy.

Is this true? Do buyers have access to my dashboard through a custom order request? Can they see the details of my shop's inner workings?! That would be a huge issue!

Plus, the issues raised in this entire thread have still not been addressed after over 18 months!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I've had an issue the last few days in which the box "Request Custom Order" has been greyed out.  I went on chat yesterday with Etsy, sent them a screen shot and they've elevated it to the tech department -- which doesn't mean they'll fix it, butI suspect they're tinkering with things and not telling us.  This happened also on another seller's site on which I went to purchase something.  I regularly purchase from this seller and generally go on to their site, click the button, list what I'd like, done.  Couldn't click on their "Request Custom Order" button either.  

5 Likes
HeartsByLaylaHay
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

So pleased I've come here as i've been having the same issues for a couple of weeks and Etsy elevated me to tech but still keep telling me it's my browser or cache or to get my customer to contact them because my customer can't click on the link I create.  It's not just one customer.  It's all of them!  I've had to conduct every custom order sale away from Etsy by sending a paypal invoice instead so unless they're happy to lose the fees I don't understand why they're not holding their hands up and saying they've changed something and start fixing it

6 Likes

Jump to solution

I've had this same issue for at least a month now with the custom order request being greyed out.  I now have to set up the custom order in the side bar and then go back in a second time to add a photo and shipping information.  This is really a complete mess!  It seems the quality of people working for Etsy had changed.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy please fix this immediately!! It's ridiculous to make faulty, problematic changes to something that used to work effortlessly well!

This new system you've implemented has many issues, the worst being that it obscures pertinent information such as the customer's name (so one needs to open another window) - and of course, you can not put in photographs! 

14 Likes
JanetteDesign
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I have the private listing side bar, as well. I am unable to add a listing image, shipping profiles are not loading into the shipping section and Its asking for my country of origin. If I want to reference back to customer messages I have to open a new window. It has been like this for a few weeks now so creating a custom listing is a huge hassle.

12 Likes

Jump to solution

Yep, same here a side bar opens up! No option for photo! Wants me to add a value for the shipping cost instead of adding a shipping profile that already exists!! 

I have been in discussion with the customer for a few days talking about the product required, not where they live! I have told them I will create this custom order and now I have to annoy them once more to ask where they live! Then I have to check what my standard rate is to the customers country!

I don't offer free shipping and dont plan to! But I some how think this is just another step towards Etsy forcing all sellers to offer free post?

4 Likes
TonyBarkUS
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I also had this problem

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm getting this too. Customer cannot access the listing and neither can I. All I can see is 'private listing' in the message thread. 

5 Likes
TheLegShoppe
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yes same here, very frustrating, happened a couple weeks ago for one day, now it has been constant for days.  Please go back to the great way it was originally!

4 Likes

Jump to solution

The same here.!!!!

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I've been having the same issue. The customer is not able to access the listing I created for her. I don't know what to suggest. I guess I'll need to create a new listing (instead of a custom order).

6 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes, it's changed for the worse. Once you've created the listing using the side bar and publish you can then go into the 'Listings' tab. It appears there and you can then make more detailed edits. The annoying part is the delivery settings. Unlike usual listings, it doesn't pick up the dynamic delivery profiles and you have to enter them manually. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@WeAreBirdieBirdie You are right about it being annoying to have to manually enter the delivery settings and even then, mine showed up as something completely different from what I entered so I strongly advise sellers to go bak and double check the listing for errors. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

This is causing big issues for us too. I don't mind the new streamlined process with the sidebar, but customers aren't receiving the listings. Every single message I'm sending includes an apology if it doesn't work!

2 Likes

Rif.: Creating custom order problem.

Jump to solution

Plus am I the only one having trouble also with pricing format? I need to charge 2,50€ but nothing seems to work (I tried commas, dots, zeros before number). The horrible part was that first time I didn't notice and customer received e-mail charging 2500€ for a digital download birthday card.

3 Likes
ShapesAndScents
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I have the same problem here. I have reported this issue to Etsy and they handed it out to the technical department. I wonder if there will ever be an answer to this huge problem!

1 Like

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem when entering prices.

Did you sort it?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.