Coupons are being sent as messages on my behalf

I was horrified to discover that Etsy has been sending the "abandoned cart", "favorited item" and "thank you" coupons to buyers in the form of Etsy messages that appear to come from me. I am hoping this is a technical error and not a new approach, because it absolutely sucks. It makes me look like an Alibaba seller spamming buyers with my coupons! I have turned off all the automatic coupons until the issue is fixed. 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
11 Replies

Re: Coupons are being sent as messages on my behalf

This happened to me yesterday to a repeat customer that already uses the coupon that was sent to her. How embarrassing, she probably wondered what the heck was going on. She messaged me, that's the only reason I knew about it. I think I will turn off the cart and favorites coupons also.

0 Likes

@CatsBeadKitsandMore  that's how I found out too. I turned off the coupons IMMEDIATELY. I can only imagine how many people got these spammy messages and they thought I sent them...

3 Likes
luxcrafter
Conversation Maker

My shops notice says its a test of a possible future way of informing customers, and that those won't count towards/against SS status. 

I suspect Etsy finds most sensible people turn off email notifications because of innane spamming, so this is the way to generate more income for Etsy by moving sales encouragement messages into non-optional messaging notices.  And I've not noticed any customer behaviour change because of this new intrusion.

0 Likes

We do not use any of those three coupon types, but other posts have stated that they had an informative message from Etsy on the messages page about this test.

0 Likes

I disabled mine also. I found out about it maybe a week or so ago, because I received a message “thank you…” and saw that she was responding to the Etsy generated message that looked like I wrote it. 

To me, it’s intrusive and spammy, and I don’t want people to think I’m doing that when I’m not. 

3 Likes

I've turned those coupons off as well...  Etsy also sends reminders to buyers to leave feedback and we have no idea how many messages our customers are getting.  I can at least limit the ones with coupons.  I still left the code valid and might put that in my message to Buyer section, for the thank you discount.

1 Like

I agree, this is not ok Etsy. I am now turning my coupons off as well. I only have one, the thank you for buying code. But now that it's being spammed by me from messages it looks tacky as hell. I'm super pissed about this

2 Likes

This is happening to me as well. It’s getting annoying because I’ve had a couple of responses from buyers. 

0 Likes

I went to turn mine off and it says they've sent 392 messages on my behalf in the last 30 days! Talk about spamming people. Not happy

3 Likes

@greenmelonstudios that's a lot of messages!  And if those are just for the coupons there might be even more from review reminders...

0 Likes
chocolaterabbit
Conversation Maker

I hate this too. I've done super well with Thank You coupons, but I just turned them off because my customers were being spammed. I wish they would stop this.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.